Oshkosh 2024 - Who's going?

1. What is best fuel stop option within 45 min south of arrival
That's roughly my stomping grounds,. During the day / evening try C77, cool little airport with a lot of vintage planes on-field, choice of paved or grass strips. Otherwise KRFD / Emery Air is 24/7 full serve -- long runways, class D, with a TRSA (don't see too many of those around!). If those are still too far away from OSH, try KJVL.

1. What is best fuel stop option within 45 min south of arrival?
2. If we start the arrival at 1pm, what are the odds of us getting in before the airshow?
3. Will VPENV probably be the start point?
1. KBUU or 57c have cheap gas.
2. Pretty good.
3. Unlikely. I’d aim for Green Lake until you can pick up the ATIS.

I have a few thoughts/questions.

My first time to OSH was back in 2019 with my Dad. He didn't want to camp, so we stayed at the dorms. That was OK, but I felt like we were missing out on a lot by staying off site, and it would have been nice to have a place to go to during the day to recharge a bit. Transportation back and forth was a pain as well.

I went this year and camped next to my airplane. Got a good spot in the North 40 right next to the Mooney mass arrival crowd (their tails are on backwards!). I liked being at the show, and having a "home base" right on the airport. But I don't like tent camping, especially in the summer. My last night there I literally had dreams about taking a shower the next morning. Everything was wet, and couldn't sit out bare footed due to ants. Two days/nights isn't enough time to get the full OSH experience.

I want to go back, and spend longer. But I want AC when I am sleeping and a better bed. Yeah, I'm soft, sue me.

So what are my choices? HGI on the airport is way more money than I want to spend, so that is out. That seems to leave my last option to be renting an RV. What are my options? I could find one semi-local, and drive it in, but I like the experience of flying in, and having to take the airlines with all the stuff I want to have with me for the week sounds like a pain. I understand there are services that will set up an RV for you on site. Has anyone done that, and if so how well did it work?

Any other options I'm missing?

First day of epic TPA-OSH group trip was a comedy of errors. Late departure and too many stops led to us getting caught by occluded front in Alabama. We got separated. One aircraft left early and made it all the way in to OSH. After some very tactical VFR flying, I made it to Rough River, KY. Third aircraft got stuck in Alabama but finally made it barely into TN.
View attachment 131703
Plan for tomorrow is launch early and rendezvous in southern WI to gas up and shoot the Fisk arrival. Questions:
1. What is best fuel stop option within 45 min south of arrival?
2. If we start the arrival at 1pm, what are the odds of us getting in before the airshow?
3. Will VPENV probably be the start point?
1. I liked KUNU.
2. No idea.
3. I would aim for that but listen to the radio as early as you can and adjust accordingly.

Good luck, we’re all counting on you.

I have a few thoughts/questions.

My first time to OSH was back in 2019 with my Dad. He didn't want to camp, so we stayed at the dorms. That was OK, but I felt like we were missing out on a lot by staying off site, and it would have been nice to have a place to go to during the day to recharge a bit. Transportation back and forth was a pain as well.

I went this year and camped next to my airplane. Got a good spot in the North 40 right next to the Mooney mass arrival crowd (their tails are on backwards!). I liked being at the show, and having a "home base" right on the airport. But I don't like tent camping, especially in the summer. My last night there I literally had dreams about taking a shower the next morning. Everything was wet, and couldn't sit out bare footed due to ants. Two days/nights isn't enough time to get the full OSH experience.

I want to go back, and spend longer. But I want AC when I am sleeping and a better bed. Yeah, I'm soft, sue me.

So what are my choices? HGI on the airport is way more money than I want to spend, so that is out. That seems to leave my last option to be renting an RV. What are my options? I could find one semi-local, and drive it in, but I like the experience of flying in, and having to take the airlines with all the stuff I want to have with me for the week sounds like a pain. I understand there are services that will set up an RV for you on site. Has anyone done that, and if so how well did it work?

My A&P has a camper delivered every year and swears by it. I'll get the scoop from him when he gets back and shoot you a PM.

We are planning to go next year, and I'm with you no sleeping in a tent for this kid... I'm a wimp and proud :cool:

If you are at OSH, PLEASE stop by the Bahamian government tent and voice your thoughts on the crazy fees that they recently implemented for aircraft coming and going into the Bahamas.

GA costs have tripled almost overnight!

has anyone seen any new (reasonably priced) offerings for kx155 replacements?

what does this year's stock of "very exciting, just waiting on certification, put your down payment to secure your order" GA mini-turboprop engines looking like?

Rich’s presentation is so full that people were bringing chairs from other forums!!

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpeg
    IMG_3097.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
Rich’s presentation is so full that people were bringing chairs from other forums!!
When is the presentation on "male headset photo models" and demonstration of the anticipated "Blue Steel" by you know who?

My A&P has a camper delivered every year and swears by it. I'll get the scoop from him when he gets back and shoot you a PM.

We are planning to go next year, and I'm with you no sleeping in a tent for this kid... I'm a wimp and proud :cool:

I would love to hear the scoop! Thanks

what does this year's stock of "very exciting, just waiting on certification, put your down payment to secure your order" GA mini-turboprop engines looking like?
I saw an Allison/Rolls Royce 250 at one of the tents Near the JAARS Tent. It’s a Civilian version of the T63 that powers a lot of Helos and was originally developed in the 60’s when I was first getting into the Engine business. Nice little package then but I have never had anything to do with it since those long ago times.

Where’s the Arch Photo? I want to compare it to Rough River seeing how it was 1000 and Beer cost money at Oshkosh vs late afternoon and “Free” drinks at RR.

Do better camping. A good air mattress is a minimum, but a cot with a mattress is almost required for a week. I usually bring sheets, a pillow, and a blanket too, it makes a difference. Chairs AND a table. Plan good meals, some cooking if you can manage a burner, and eat out occasionally.

Not sure what to say about ants, I've never had that problem, but I also don't hang out with my shoes off. Maybe a footstool or a ground cover of some kind? I hesitate to recommend pesticides, you want to put your feet there too.

A class A RV is expensive, but the ultimate in glamping in Camp Scholler. Plan on a per night cost of a very, VERY nice hotel room. You obviously won't be by your plane, but probably a 10 minute walk from the show entrance.

Comedy of errors just got WAY worse. Not sure I want to fess up yet.
So I ran out of gas yesterday afternoon south of Chicago. In the air. With my son in the plane.
Leaking gas cap was siphoning. I had gotten so enamored of my engine monitor that I stopped cross checking my wing root gauge above and behind my head.
I landed on a 2000 foot crop duster strip. Made numerous mistakes during execution but we walked away without injury or damage to plane or property.
Fortunately my A&P was an hour behind me. They landed at Dekalb IL, bought gas cans, grabbed the crew car, checked me out, and gassed me up. I flew to DKB and we got hotel rooms. Will fly the approach this morning.
Over beers last night, we discovered that all 4 of us have force landed due to fuel exhaustion. We are ... The Fellowship of the Gas Can.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724-215646.png
    Screenshot_20240724-215646.png
    693.5 KB · Views: 0

Over beers last night, we discovered that all 4 of us have force landed due to fuel exhaustion. We are ... The Fellowship of the Gas Can.
Brotherhood of the Traveling Gas Can sounds cooler.

Back