Oshkosh 2024 - Who's going?

One thing that I did note this year….
10 years ago, the only kids at Oshkosh were the ones forced to go on vacation with their grandparents.

This year I saw a much higher percentage of kids and young adults than I have noted in the past. I think YouTube and the current flight training drive could have a lot to do with that. After all, what is cooler than being able to fly your own plane?

The few I talked to seemed to be as enthusiastic about aircraft and flying as we were at that age!

One young man camping next to us with his family is 17, has been flying for three years, and already has his LSRM from Rainbow, logging hours for his AP as a helper for a local shop. The family owns a 150 for all three kids to build time and train in. (Dad is NOT in aviation).

The last conversation I had with them, they were considering buying an unfinished Kitfox as a family project.

Maybe there is some hope for this hobby in the future.

Thanks! We caught the Twilight Fest last night. Great show.
Yup. I caught it Friday night (remotely). We’re going to be there in person again next year!

And we have rented RVs from local companies for a few years now. Generally, it has been pretty good, and if there are problems with the RV, they will come out and repair or even swap out the RV. Unfortunately, the company we were using is no longer renting them, so I don’t have a good suggestion. it was very convenient, however.

I came up with my modified swamp cooler, ran it off the car battery. Frozen water bottles and a bit of dry ice from the local fire supply kept the tent camper cool enough to fall asleep. The breeze Monday and Tuesday nights helped a lot.
Cool McGevering...
This year the weather seemed to be cooler than average. Really awesome over all. The second or third day it was getting dusty and I was hoping for rain. We got it over night, that took care of the dust for another 36-48 hours.
We were in the 24/7 genset area but did not run the generator past 7PM or so for AC and slept with just the 12 volt DC exhaust fan on low running in the bathroom sucking fresh air through all night. No one else that I heard ran their gensets after dark this year since it was so cool. Great sleeping weather.

Last edited:
Back