Oshkosh 2024 - Who's going?

What's different this year? Conga line yesterday was noticably absent.

Feels like there were about 3/4 of the normal number of planes parked along 36.

N40 seems full but it feels really light this year. Typically on Sundays I like to park it at one end of the runway and watch the people land but they're just didn't seem to be a lot of people coming in.

We took a moment to stop in Kenosha and look at that connective sigmet from the ground around 3:30. Ran up over Milwaukee, got an update from approach on what they saw and joined at Green Lake.

Agree it felt light and almost too easy. I dorked up my final into 36 and drug in for a half mile or something absurd feeling before plopping onto the yellow dot. Ground taxi to north 40 went fairly briskly all things considered.

caught my camp stove on fire 4 or 5 times already but at least I’ll have hot tea.

I was looking at traffic this morning, and there appears to be none right now. We're getting ready to depart to hit our 1030 ifr slot, but if it's this dead in a couple hours, I might fly the fisk arrival just so I can say I've done it.

I was looking at traffic this morning, and there appears to be none right now. We're getting ready to depart to hit our 1030 ifr slot, but if it's this dead in a couple hours, I might fly the fisk arrival just so I can say I've done it.
You really should. Arriving IFR at Airventure is like driving a minivan to Sturgis. You'll see the same sights, smell the same smells, and hear the same sounds, but you'll miss out on all the je ne sais quoi.

You really should. Arriving IFR at Airventure is like driving a minivan to Sturgis. You'll see the same sights, smell the same smells, and hear the same sounds, but you'll miss out on all the je ne sais quoi.
So I did it. I flew the Fisk arrival.

Never. Again.

What made it traumatic????
36 closed, and they had a massive group coming into the arrival, so I decided to cancel so tower wouldn't have to sequence me in. Well I got in behind the group, and of course they were flying 80 knots, so I was super mushy and in their wake turbulence, so I turned around and went back. Then I wound up behind an rv, also flying 80 knots, so I got above him and made it work.

Then 36 reopened, and that's where they sent me. I had to slam it on the numbers because the rv didn't understand how to land on the assigned dot. He was practicing slow flight in ground effect, and tower told me to "put it down now" Instead of continuing to my assigned dot.

Then literally 30 minutes of taxiing. We finally convinced them to let us go north, then the marshaller at boeing Plaza was waving his arms like crazy and made us go back south. (North 40 is full, but we already have a spot set up there). I finally stopped and refused to move until someone with a radio came and talked to me, and they relayed the message about what we needed. One we got to the north side, they understood what we wanted. Had I continued ifr like usual, I would've landed 27, gone into the grass, and been right where I needed to be.

I don't think I'd come if I had to fly Fisk on fri/sat/sun.

First time going into Airventure for me, will be there Tuesday and Wednesday with the C414-A. IFR slots all reserved, not even going to try to fly the FISK with that particular aircraft... ;) Been wanting to go for years, and everything finally lined up this year!

But think of how your wife will swoon with the vapors when you tell her you ran the FISK arrival.

Airport is closed. Black smoke down by 36 though seemingly off to the side.

Well damn. Sorry to hear. Prayers offered.

Some of the fun things going on! Leslie and I are in Vintage, we’re not Vintage!

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3039.jpeg
    IMG_3039.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3043.jpeg
    IMG_3043.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2998.jpeg
    IMG_2998.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2999.jpeg
    IMG_2999.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3001.jpeg
    IMG_3001.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3004.jpeg
    IMG_3004.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Launching tomorrow AM in gaggle of 3 aircraft from Tampa. Slowest one tried to get a head start today and made it 50 miles before springing an oil leak. Flight plan says 11 hours to Dekalb IL, then RON and fly Fisk approach Weds morning. Gotta transit 2 fronts to get there. It will be a miracle if we make it on time.

@baboss and I are here. N40 row 517. Come say hi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
What's different this year? Conga line yesterday was noticably absent.

Feels like there were about 3/4 of the normal number of planes parked along 36.

N40 seems full but it feels really light this year. Typically on Sundays I like to park it at one end of the runway and watch the people land but they're just didn't seem to be a lot of people coming in.
Weather has been really good, so arrivals have been spaced out over several days rather than the entire world trying to arrive in a single afternoon.

So glad I got woken up by a weather alert at 0400 for a little bit of rain and two rumbles of thunder.

Heading home today, weather looks iffy back that way over the next few days and I need a few days at home before my next trip. Been a blast, camping out sure is convenient.

I am so jealous sitting here at my day job seeing these pictures. OSHKOSH is one of my bucket list items but I have not been brave enough to do it yet. I am really thinking about doing it next year. My feeling/thinking is that you must fly to the event or it didn't happen. :p

Made it in earlier this morning. Got sent in circles after landing, then banished to the south end of the south 40 with the other twins. Can't tell if we're all snobbish and standoffish, or just plotting a mass escape over the fence...

Boeing Plaza is pretty cool, but I'm mainly up here for the vintage and warbirds sections right now. Awesome so far!

Attachments

• 2024-07-23-13-02-45-406.jpg
    2024-07-23-13-02-45-406.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 2024-07-23-10-30-18-528.jpg
    2024-07-23-10-30-18-528.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
First day of epic TPA-OSH group trip was a comedy of errors. Late departure and too many stops led to us getting caught by occluded front in Alabama. We got separated. One aircraft left early and made it all the way in to OSH. After some very tactical VFR flying, I made it to Rough River, KY. Third aircraft got stuck in Alabama but finally made it barely into TN.
markup_1000004423.png
Plan for tomorrow is launch early and rendezvous in southern WI to gas up and shoot the Fisk arrival. Questions:
1. What is best fuel stop option within 45 min south of arrival?
2. If we start the arrival at 1pm, what are the odds of us getting in before the airshow?
3. Will VPENV probably be the start point?

Back