Oshkosh 2024 - Who's going?

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I'm ready to go now! Not sure why, but I'm more excited this year and can't wait to get there.

If weather cooperates, I'll head out from Texas on Friday, July 19th, and go home when they run out of work for me or I get tired of airplanes (doesn't happen!)

Who is going and what days to you plan to be there?

53766859503_0b6a343953_z.jpg
53765760432_6bb612f21e_z.jpg

We’re road tripping to stay with my wife’s cousin, who lives in Oshkosh. I’ll probably go to EAA four or five days.

I'm planning Thurs-Sun again, with a couple trips home to pick up kids. Hopefully the weather is more amenable to tent camping this year.

We'll be there Friday to Friday--have the NOTAM and our campsite and rental RV are reserved. We also have our volunteer schedule -- if you ride in the Homebuilt Welcome Wagon Sat-Tue I'll be the driver with the Cowboy hat - can't miss me. All I need now is for EAA to post the Forum schedule and my wife to setup our Wal-Mart delivery and we're all set.

Which days won't have the required thunderstorms? :D

Got a new tent after last year killed my 25 year old Eureka.
My Eureka Domain 3 is almost 40 years old, though it hasn't seen heavy use and so not too much UV exposure. Structurally, it came through the storm just fine. But I learned it had been far too long since I last applied waterproofing and seam sealer--it picked up quite a bit of water inside. I spent my first week home blowing through cans of waterproofing spray for the fly, and seam sealer everywhere else.

Remind me when this gets closer. I'll cover it for EAA!

let me know when and where. I'd like to see.
Will do guys. Thanks for the support. The coordinator (whose job I don't want, he told me "Its a big project with 1600 presentations, 650 speakers across 65 venues") says the schedule will post in late June.

Will do guys. Thanks for the support. The coordinator (whose job I don't want, he told me "Its a big project with 1600 presentations, 650 speakers across 65 venues") says the schedule will post in late June.
Don't invite Bryan to your presentation. Everyone will just whisper, "Is that him? I think that's him." True story! :D

The wife and I will be there Wednesday for the night airshow.
Staying the night in Milwaukee then back to Des Moines to visit the kids.

Who’s coming with you this year?
Same bunch of miscreants as the last two years. My friend Steve, his son Thomas (who's in the OK State flying program), and my son Alex. Our friend Wayne was also supposed to attend, but his family scheduled a reunion at an inopportune time.

I was looking for this thread in the Oshkosh forum... Might get more traction there. :cool:

I'll be there. No idea whether I'm driving or flying. Always wanted to fly it in (VFR).

I'll be there. No idea whether I'm driving or flying. Always wanted to fly it in (VFR).
I flew in 3 times VFR. All 3 times I had to hold or land early due to a crash or incident and wait for the airport to re-open. But hearing the "rock your wings" and "welcome to osh kosh" was worth it.

I ordered my T shirt yesterday.... I'll be there in spirit again this year :(

I flew in 3 times VFR. All 3 times I had to hold or land early due to a crash or incident and wait for the airport to re-open. But hearing the "rock your wings" and "welcome to osh kosh" was worth it.
Seems to depend on when you get there. I usually spend the night in Watertown and get up early and get there as soon as it opens. Only got put into a hold once and it was the year it rained so much everyone was at airports nearby just waiting for the green light to head in! It was a cluster...

Serious question.

I plan to fly the Comanche in on Staurday.
I really want to put the "Home Built Parking" sign in my window.
Will those people get a laugh at having a 61 Piper amongst the RVs and Slings or will it **** them off?

Serious question.

Will those people get a laugh at having a 61 Piper amongst the RVs and Slings or will it **** them off?
@rwellner98 reported that his fake maule was rejected for homebuilt until proven to be homebuilt.

Would I be violating any actual regs if I printed out a giant "Experimental" sticker and put it on the side of the plane?

@rwellner98 reported that his fake maule was rejected for homebuilt until proven to be homebuilt.
The story is that the builder flew it to oshkosh and because it looks almost identical to a Maule they refused him access to homebuilt until he convinced them that it really was one. They do police this stuff. Vintage does also. They are super strict about things. In any case, I haven't personally parked in homebuilt, but that's what I was told.

Serious question.

None of us homebuilders will care. That said, the folks who run the marshaling/parking, on the other hand....... They have a busy job and after being out there all day sometimes their sense of humor tank can be on empty. A few years ago I stopped short of the parking line in HBP because I like to manually pull forward the last 2 feet as I put plates under my wheels. When I shutdown and opened the door the guy lit into me for not following his directions to pull all the way forward. I explained what I was doing and he just left in huff. However, there's a hardstand by the HBC pavilion off taxiway P that becomes home to all sorts of non-E-AB aircraft during the show.

Back