Oshkosh 2024 - Who's going?

yeah, can't blame them. That would be a whole other level of crazy with that many campers!
What they could do is offer more/better guidance around the behavior they would like campers to exhibit when taking space (assuming they are not already seeing the behavior they desire). Maybe they could drive a cultural shift with a series of reminders year after year...

Reading the campground rules state each spot should be 20’x30’ and NO scooters, one wheels or motorized bikes or other vehicles. WTH

What they could do is offer more/better guidance around the behavior they would like campers to exhibit when taking space (assuming they are not already seeing the behavior they desire). Maybe they could drive a cultural shift with a series of reminders year after year...
Do you base this theory on how well the pilots flying in do at following the well-written guidance, published well in advance of the event every year, to fly 90 knots, 1800 MSL, and half-mile in trail and not pass other airplanes? :arf:

Do you base this theory on how well the pilots flying in do at following the well-written guidance, published well in advance of the event every year, to fly 90 knots, 1800 MSL, and half-mile in trail and not pass other airplanes? :arf:
On our way to Oshkosh, we overheard 3 RV pilots talking. It became obvious that one of them was in charge and only he had read the NOTAM, and he didn't even understand it completely. They were asking him questions like, "what is the ground frequency once we land?" Then they started discussing how they didn't want to fly 90 knots, so they would take the higher route. I finally jumped in and told them I've seen airplanes turned back to the starting point for this. The higher path is not for pilots who don't want to fly 90 knots, its for those who can't. It's almost like they should have known that from the NOTAM!

Reading the campground rules state each spot should be 20’x30’ and NO scooters, one wheels or motorized bikes or other vehicles. WTH
So I guess I can't bring my 32ft motorhome to Airventure then...bummer!

The other thing is surprising. I've seen many campgrounds at state parks etc that have a similar rule...powered rolling vehicles need to be street legal.
Electric bikes are something I've been wondering about for a few years now, though. Some really get fast and solidly cross into motorcycle territory...but almost all at least pass into the old-school moped territory. I remember those things being fairly well-restricted when I was a kid. I never had one, but that's what I recall anyway. Electric bikes today seem to be getting out of hand in some ways.
But at something like airventure, it seems like a great think for folks stuck way out in the boonies of camp Scholler!

On our way to Oshkosh, we overheard 3 RV pilots talking. It became obvious that one of them was in charge and only he had read the NOTAM, and he didn't even understand it completely. They were asking him questions like, "what is the ground frequency once we land?" Then they started discussing how they didn't want to fly 90 knots, so they would take the higher route. I finally jumped in and told them I've seen airplanes turned back to the starting point for this. The higher path is not for pilots who don't want to fly 90 knots, its for those who can't. It's almost like they should have known that from the NOTAM!
They must have been buyers and not builders. Or at least I hope that's the case. I built a (relatively easy) RV-14 in my basement and I can't imagine being able to do that but unable to get through the Fisk arrival. The instructions to turn on the lights in my basement are longer and more complicated than the Fisk arrival.

I absolutely cannot wrap my head around any pilot flying into Airventure without at least giving a good ole 'college try' at studying the NOTAM. I can understand forgetting some tidbit in the heat and stress of the moment, or having to refer back to it, etc... but not having read it at all just doesn't compute
Even if a pilot is only just vaguely and barely familiar with what Airventure is, they have to know it's busy airspace with special rules. That's just one of those mind-blowing paradigm shifts..."they walk among us, and I had no idea.."

They must have been buyers and not builders. Or at least I hope that's the case. I built a (relatively easy) RV-14 in my basement and I can't imagine being able to do that but unable to get through the Fisk arrival. The instructions to turn on the lights in my basement are longer and more complicated than the Fisk arrival.
I've now flown into Oshkosh seven times. The first time was very stressful, and after that it got easier and easier. I still pay very close attention to the NOTAM though, and I even teach it to local pilots. I can't imagine going in unprepared!

One of my friends flew in with me 3 years in a row, and he's had another pilot in his plane 2 other times. Last year was the first time he was flying in alone. He was following his brother in, so I think he felt comfortable, but he admitted to me later that he only figured out the correct tower frequency when he was about to turn base! Huh??? He said when he switched, the tower was telling him to turn base now, turn now, turn now... there's a B-25 on final. I was so mad at him. I teach the NOTAM and you were there when I taught it! Not only that, I use colors to highlight things I want you to pay attention to, like runways, frequencies, etc. It takes all kinds I guess.

So I guess I can't bring my 32ft motorhome to Airventure then...bummer!

The other thing is surprising. I've seen many campgrounds at state parks etc that have a similar rule...powered rolling vehicles need to be street legal.
Electric bikes are something I've been wondering about for a few years now, though. Some really get fast and solidly cross into motorcycle territory...but almost all at least pass into the old-school moped territory. I remember those things being fairly well-restricted when I was a kid. I never had one, but that's what I recall anyway. Electric bikes today seem to be getting out of hand in some ways.
But at something like airventure, it seems like a great think for folks stuck way out in the boonies of camp Scholler!
I think he is talking about aircraft camping. Camp Scholler rules only state you park perpendicular to the fire lines with 10' between camping units. Operation of motorized equipment such as ebikes, scooters, one wheels, etc. is only permitted for individuals with licenses. No saving of spots prior to arrival date. If you stake out a spot you must post your camping credentials on the spot. The only enforcement I saw was them running a few tents out of the 24 hour generator area.

Part of the problem with the NOTAM is a lot of fluff. Some people don't do well at filtering through details.

We arrived as a flight, with the lead having not flown Fisk before. I talked them through the steps til we could recite from memory. It's simple when you break it down.

1. Listen to ATIS.
2. Tune to Approach.
3. Fly 90kt at 1800 MSL.
4. Fly to entry point.
5. Merge and maintain spacing.
6. Fly remaining waypoints.
7. Announce flight at RIPON.
8. Listen at FISK and rock wings.
9. Turn as instructed.
10. Tune to tower, listen, and comply.
11. Land on the spot.
12. Turn off where instructed.
13. Put a sign in the window.
14. Follow the guys with vests.

As long as you listen to approach, you are going to be reminded of the important stuff 725 times, and hear the 100 aircraft in front of you getting instructions at Fisk.

Any RV pilot incapable of flying 90 knots ought to be embarrassed.

OTOH it's a shame that Lancair did not take the high fast arrival.

Part of the problem with the NOTAM is a lot of fluff. Some people don't do well at filtering through details.

We arrived as a flight, with the lead having not flown Fisk before. I talked them through the steps til we could recite from memory. It's simple when you break it down.

1. Listen to ATIS.
2. Tune to Approach.
3. Fly 90kt at 1800 MSL.
4. Fly to entry point.
5. Merge and maintain spacing.
6. Fly remaining waypoints.
8. Listen at FISK and rock wings.
9. Turn as instructed.
10. Tune to tower, listen, and comply.
11. Land on the spot.
12. Turn off where instructed.
13. Put a sign in the window.
14. Follow the guys with vests.

As long as you listen to approach, you are going to be reminded of the important stuff 725 times, and hear the 100 aircraft in front of you getting instructions at Fisk.

I agree with 1-14...easy breezy. You can highlight a lot of information in the PDF before you print it (see attached), and I highlight a few more things after I print it. I end up highlighting almost everything you mentioned.

The Lancair crashed on base. Even with the higher arrival, you have to come down and join the rest of us! You start your descent at Fisk. He did fly the higher route at 2300 @ 182 mph average.

Attachments

• 2024 NOTAM FINAL.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
yeah sure...it's paid for, paid "ahead of time", and so on.... yeah I get it. And I'm not totally critical of the practice. It's the system that's there and it's a common way to game the system....
but it doesn't exactly smell right to me either. Actually kind of smells rotten.

IF sites are supposed to be first come first serve...and I got there before your "crew", then I should get first choices of spots....
for first come first serve arrangements, the way it should probably work, is that if a crew wants to camp together, they should arrive together.
If you arrive earlier than me, you get to choose your spot before me, but your "crew" isn't there before me so how can they "choose" their spots before me? That's the thing that ain't right about it.
Different thing if it wasn't "first come first serve". Reserve a spot kind of thing....
We did "arrive", in the form of physically going to Oshkosh a week and a half before the show started to stake out the spot and post camping credentials.

Then we returned with all of our stuff later.

We didn't "reserve a spot" with EAA. We claimed a spot in person, paid for it, and used it. All well within the rules which are clearly stated at https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan...-camping-and-lodging/camp-scholler/guidelines
:rofl:

I mean, EAA even had a competition for several years for the craziest transportation in Camp Scholler. There were plenty of motorized couches and recliners and various other contraptions.

The Scholler rules state that bicycles are allowed, but then have some apparently-contradictory stuff about "Personal Transportation":

EAA Camp Scholler Guidelines said:
  • Unlicensed motorized vehicles including motorbikes, motor scooters, or motorcycles are prohibited.
  • Roller-skating, skateboarding, rollerblading, or use of self-balancing scooters is prohibited.
  • A valid driver’s license is required to drive any type of vehicle in Camp Scholler.
  • Bicycles and personal transportation devices, such as Segways, are allowed in Camp Scholler only

Isn't a Segway a "self balancing scooter"?

Either way, they don't really define what is a "vehicle" vs a "personal transportation device". In reality, there are a TON of e-bikes, and a significant number of privately owned golf carts and "gators", and EAA has even started having part of the east gate bike corral be usable for parking the carts and gators. I would imagine that if there get to be too many of them they might become further restricted.
You don't need every bit of the "fluff" while you're actually flying it, but it really should be read and understood during the planning process. There's quite a bit they don't explicitly say in the NOTAM as well.
It's simple when you break it down.
Yup - I developed a single-page flowchart for it when I flew in the first time, and I update it every year I fly in.
Yep. RV, Cirrus, whatever. It seems that all of the people flying the high arrival just because they can has mostly stopped, anyway.
They did... But even if you do the high arrival, you're supposed to descend to 1800 and slow down to 90 or as close as you can after crossing Fisk. Generally, if there's traffic both high and low arriving Fisk at nearly the same time, the high arrival will be sent down the road to 18/36 and the low arrival will be sent up the tracks to 9/27, but if there's a big speed differential and 90-knot traffic has gone both ways recently, it won't work and the high traffic will probably be sent back for another try.

WTF is this? This is not a step in the NOTAM.

I've flown the RIPON-FISK approach probably 50 times and never transmitted once.

WTF is this? This is not a step in the NOTAM.

I've flown the RIPON-FISK approach probably 50 times and never transmitted once.
How many times have you flown the approach as a flight?

Screenshot_20240806-184330.png

Last edited:
Camp Scholler question: if I just show up Saturday and Sunday by car with a tent, is there even room left and just how far away would I end up? Just asking because this years plans almost blew up and this was an option I was considering.

Camp Scholler question: if I just show up Saturday and Sunday by car with a tent, is there even room left and just how far away would I end up? Just asking because this years plans almost blew up and this was an option I was considering.
Always room for another tent in the n40.

I think a lot of rules are there in case they need to enforce them, but in most cases it's okay if they don't.

Some of them are just funny... "no Frisbees in Camp Scholler!"

"Only one tent per plane unless a second tent is needed for immediate family members" The plane next to us had three large tents and they were not family and didn't fly in together in the plane.

"Generators are allowed in the North 40 and South 40 camping area. Engine-driven generators may only be operated between 6:30 am and 10:30 pm" Not enforced.

"Keep your campsite clean and your noise levels down". LOL, yeah right! EAA actually had me photograph a 182 because their campsite was so unique and they may write a story about it. It was trashy!

All aircraft must be tied down. “Dog leash” tiedowns are prohibited. Aircraft being tied down is enforced. The "dog leash" type not being allowed is not.

In general, alcoholic beverage consumption is prohibited on airport property, except in officially designated areas or under specific permission given by authorized EAA staff Good luck with this one!

All aircraft must be tied down. “Dog leash” tiedowns are prohibited. Aircraft being tied down is enforced. The "dog leash" type not being allowed is not.
True statement, and frustrating. When I first flew in back in 2018, I was getting ready to leave. I loaded up my plane, including my tiedowns. No EAA people were passing by, so I walked all of 20 yards to a shack to request someone come and marshall me out. I got an earful about leaving the plane unattended without tying it down. Then, when I flew my newly-finished RV-14 to Airventure, the guy next to me had the chintziest wire dog tie-outs I've seen. He didn't even screw them into the ground all the way. My 15-week-old puppy would have them out in 30 seconds. I was pretty nervous about what I'd find when we got to return to the field from our hideout at the museum during the severe weather watch party the one night.

I'm a proponent of having the rules you enforce and enforcing the rules you have. If you are going to ignore a rule, then just don't have it. Keep the rulebook to what you will enforce and people might actually be able to understand, remember, and follow the rules. Not that "use a good tiedown, Wisconsin winds are not a joke" is a hard one to understand, remember, or follow. And it's one that might prevent damage well into the 8-figure range. I'd rather lose sleep because of the loud party and generator in the dozen-tent complex set up around the plane next to me than lie awake wondering if the next gust will put some dude's airplane on top of my wing and/or tent.

How many times have you flown the approach as a flight?
Aha!

I've departed in formation but never arrived together. The closest was when I was letting Snowbird 10 fly my plane in and we had Snowbird 11 in trail in another Navion.

Aha!

I've departed in formation but never arrived together. The closest was when I was letting Snowbird 10 fly my plane in and we had Snowbird 11 in trail in another Navion.

It was a hoot! Made the arrival even more fun.

If you call at Ripon and announce as a flight, they will try to send you the same direction at Fisk, and land you such that you can stay together on taxi. They were putting most aircraft on 36L, but we got 36R. I got the impression that was used for IFR, warbirds, and flights. Fast taxied to the north end and straight off.

It really is one hell of a well run operation.

In general, alcoholic beverage consumption is prohibited on airport property, except in officially designated areas or under specific permission given by authorized EAA staff Good luck with this one!
That's my favorite rule of them all.

That's my favorite rule of them all.
It's so weird. In years past, you could get beer at the bar/restaurants that were fenced in only and had security guards. Parker John's BBQ added alcohol to their menu this year and added the required fence and guards.

Now... you can now by beer in the on-field stores! So I'm not allowed to have it, it's prohibited on the field, but I can buy it on the field. Of course I bring most of mine in my plane, but it's still fun to think about.

It's so weird. In years past, you could get beer at the bar/restaurants that were fenced in only and had security guards. Parker John's BBQ added alcohol to their menu this year and added the required fence and guards.

Now... you can now by beer in the on-field stores! So I'm not allowed to have it, it's prohibited on the field, but I can buy it on the field. Of course I bring most of mine in my plane, but it's still fun to think about.

I wonder if that’s why the coffin guy is off where he’s at.

It was a hoot! Made the arrival even more fun.

If you call at Ripon and announce as a flight, they will try to send you the same direction at Fisk, and land you such that you can stay together on taxi. They were putting most aircraft on 36L, but we got 36R. I got the impression that was used for IFR, warbirds, and flights. Fast taxied to the north end and straight off.

It really is one hell of a well run operation.
36R is used for overflow from the left, a few straight-ins, and the warbird approach (which comes from that side of the field anyway). Unless I'm specifically showing someone how to fly the Ripon approach, I always do the Warbird approach anyhow (though my first arrival is usually a straight in before the notam goes into effect).

There is always room for a tent. You will be out by the highway or down towards the RV pump out area depending on if you arrive Saturday or Sunday. If you have a bike or scooter it doesn’t really matter how far away you are. The past two years I arrived on Saturday morning and ended up in the same area of 7th and Elm.

They have never turned anyone away from camping in Scholler but if you arrive after Saturday afternoon and only have a tent you will be out in the middle of nowhere. Look at the map at all the generator permitted and water/electric sites. You are not allowed to have a tent in any of those areas and anything left fills up quickly or is already roped off by someone’s friend to hold it for them.

Back when fewer people used Scholler I get why they didn’t have a dedicated team of people chrcking to make sure site holds and size rules were being abides by but things have gotten out of hand over the years and something needs to be done. Nobody is checking for reservation tags and removing roped off areas that don’t have them. There is no reason they couldn’t also paint markers every 30’ down each road in Scholler to designate the size campsite that each permit is allowed and require that permit be displayed at the marker. They unfortunaly just don’t want to deal with it and it’s one of the reasons I only go every few years instead of every year now.

The first 2 visits we brought just bikes because we read the rules for the campground, or least I did. Each year my wife said your a dummy for not bringing something motorized to get us around. This year we brought that ATV and it made it much nicer.
I saw many many one wheels, everywhere...lol

They have never turned anyone away from camping in Scholler but if you arrive after Saturday afternoon and only have a tent you will be out in the middle of nowhere. Look at the map at all the generator permitted and water/electric sites. You are not allowed to have a tent in any of those areas and anything left fills up quickly or is already roped off by someone’s friend to hold it for them.

Back when fewer people used Scholler I get why they didn’t have a dedicated team of people chrcking to make sure site holds and size rules were being abides by but things have gotten out of hand over the years and something needs to be done. Nobody is checking for reservation tags and removing roped off areas that don’t have them. There is no reason they couldn’t also paint markers every 30’ down each road in Scholler to designate the size campsite that each permit is allowed and require that permit be displayed at the marker. They unfortunaly just don’t want to deal with it and it’s one of the reasons I only go every few years instead of every year now.
I don't think marked off sites is needed but they do ride through the grounds and enforce some things. They run tents out of the 24hour area as it's a safety thing but they could also leave some notes on campers who don't park perpendicular or have a courtyard between groups. Removing roped off areas could get dicey as someone could have left for the day that had their credentials on their camper van type rig. Instead of asking for the credentials to be posted on the rig they could give out pass holder stakes that could be put in the ground. I have seen them stop kids on motorized and electric devices but truth is there just aren't enough "police" to keep it under control.

Last year come evening there was young boy flying around on a noisy mini bike in our area. 2 of our neighbors confronted the boy and asked him to slow down. He did as I saw him several times more during the week and he was riding responsibly. Love it when it works that way.

They have never turned anyone away from camping in Scholler but if you arrive after Saturday afternoon and only have a tent you will be out in the middle of nowhere.
Well, they kept people from entering during Shloshkosh (2019). There were people parked on the roads and later stuck in the South 40.

Well, they kept people from entering during Shloshkosh (2019). There were people parked on the roads and later stuck in the South 40

They did not keep people with tents out, only those with cars or campers. I was there that year. We got in around midnight Saturday and we're initially told we couldn't go in because they were assessing the grounds from the storm. Sunday morning they let me buy my camping credentials and walk in on foot with my tent and gear. I moved my car to one of the paid lots for the day and then by Sunday night was allowed to drive into the campground and park the car there using my camping credentials. You just had to ask nicely and explain that you diddnt need to drive through a flooded area to get to your existing site.

Keith

that's my beef.... roped off for a friend. paid for or not it's gaming the system I think weighted towards locals especially and against folks coming from a long distance....

I mentioned in an earlier post about the marked-off sites at sun n fun this year, in their overflow cow pasture. It was nice in several ways, but generally I think that it mostly just reduced the number of campers. It was just an inefficient use of the space.

As with everything like this, it's a trade-off

Yes, you'll get in. No, you won't be close. FWIW, coming in 12-15 days early we used to be just south of Audrey's Park about halfway between Schaick and Lindbergh. The last couple of years we've been in the 101 Woods.

Now, with just a car and a tent you'll be able to squeeze into some spots that wouldn't be accessible to RVs so you might be able to find something halfway decent if you take the extra time to search for it.
Always room for another tent in the n40.
Theoretically that's not allowed, though as long as there's a plane there it's generally not enforced. You just can't camp up there without a plane (and that is enforced).
I think a lot of rules are there in case they need to enforce them, but in most cases it's okay if they don't.

Some of them are just funny... "no Frisbees in Camp Scholler!"
I kinda feel like they are somewhat true to their experimental roots in that if you break the rule in a very creative and original fashion, they will look the other way. :rofl:
That's un-Wisconsinlike...

However, keep in mind there is a difference between "airport property" and the show grounds. While there is certainly drinking on airport property, there's a lot more of it that is technically off airport property.

None of the stores are actually "on the field".
that's my beef.... roped off for a friend. paid for or not it's gaming the system I think weighted towards locals especially and against folks coming from a long distance....
So how would you change it?

If you can't rope off sites in advance, EAA would be losing a crap-ton of money. I'd have spent $400 less all by myself.
If you can reserve sites, EAA would have a lot of extra work to do marking things out and dealing with people who were in the wrong spot.

I just don't think there's a better option than what they're doing. And nothing is prohibiting you from coming up early and marking off your spot, or finding someone willing to do it for you. We're not "locals" but it's worth taking an extra day off a couple weeks early to travel to Oshkosh and get a better site.

Theoretically that's not allowed, though as long as there's a plane there it's generally not enforced. You just can't camp up there without a plane (and that is enforced).
From the rules (as you know):
Each plane can have one tent, unless a second tent is needed for immediate family members.
Plenty of room by my airplane for my POA brother :cheers:

In the past the stores selling beer weren't on the field, but they are now. I'm talking about the Red One stores in the camping areas. They're inside of the fence.
Yep, and you can now start drinking at the food venues at noon. Expect fistfights to break out even earlier.

Yes, you'll get in. No, you won't be close. FWIW, coming in 12-15 days early we used to be just south of Audrey's Park about halfway between Schaick and Lindbergh. The last couple of years we've been in the 101 Woods.

Now, with just a car and a tent you'll be able to squeeze into some spots that wouldn't be accessible to RVs so you might be able to find something halfway decent if you take the extra time to search for it.

So how would you change it?

If you can't rope off sites in advance, EAA would be losing a crap-ton of money. I'd have spent $400 less all by myself.
If you can reserve sites, EAA would have a lot of extra work to do marking things out and dealing with people who were in the wrong spot.

I just don't think there's a better option than what they're doing. And nothing is prohibiting you from coming up early and marking off your spot, or finding someone willing to do it for you. We're not "locals" but it's worth taking an extra day off a couple weeks early to travel to Oshkosh and get a better site.
The one and only time I've camped at Scholler, it was just me in a rental car with a 2-man tent. In 2002 I think.
I just needed a space barely larger than the rental car. As I recall I showed up a day or two before the actual start of the event. I was disappointed in not being able to find a shady spot, but expected I guess. It looked like I would be out in the filed but I drove around a bit and found a little spot right up against the fence and gate, sort of near the red barn and just SW of hangar D. About where flymarket is today. Except for no shade it was near perfect. Saved me a lot of steps that week!
I've often wondered if I could ever be so lucky today.

Yeah, I think you are almost certainly correct, all things considered, probably not a better realistic option. What I think I might do though is set an expectation of "must be present to win". Someone from the party must be there and set-up the site ...i.e. set up the tent or park the RV. So a person can show up and pick a spot for their "camping unit"...but not for their buddy who isn't there yet. Also not great in my opinion for someone to come in, park their RV or set up a tent a week before the show and then go back home, only return on say Wednesday halfway through and stay for two nights and then vacate.
The general idea being that it's somehow not right for a prime spot to be roped off and/or vacant for what could be several days, while people that actually are there could be using the spot.
Flaws with this logic too of course... no perfect option for this it seems....but as with my restaurant example earlier, I shouldn't expect the restaurant to hold my table vacant when I'm 5 or 10 minutes away. Better for everyone if they seat the next party...let them sell some food and those folks that are present to get on with eating. it keep business moving, and I'll take the next table when I get there.

Yep, and you can now start drinking at the food venues at noon. Expect fistfights to break out even earlier.
That wouldn't surprise me! The only fight I've ever seen there was when a guy wouldn't quit harassing me, telling me I needed to give him a flight briefing because I had an orange shirt on under my yellow vest, so that meant I was a briefer. I tried multiple times to tell him I wasn't a briefer, but he wouldn't get out of my face. I finally got the police involved and he didn't win that fight!

That wouldn't surprise me! The only fight I've ever seen there was when a guy wouldn't quit harassing me, telling me I needed to give him a flight briefing because I had an orange shirt on under my yellow vest, so that meant I was a briefer. I tried multiple times to tell him I wasn't a briefer, but he wouldn't get out of my face. I finally got the police involved and he didn't win that fight!
The departure briefings (thank heavens) have been gone for years now. They ceased to be necessary when they got rid of the 18/36 flyby pattern decades ago. The problem was what to do with the small crew of volunteers that were responsible for this. One of them got dumped on us but the guy couldn't take N numbers over the radio (understanding the phonetic alphabet is key) and type them in so he had a lot of problems.

I never saw a problem with unruly people much before the Vintage Cafe started selling beer. Now it happens several times during the show. I used to be an official at the local NASCAR track and saw the same thing when we switched to selling versus BYO beer.

Back