GPS backup

VOR is the big round flat building with the witch's hat in the center. And there is an outer ring of antennas.

TACAN is a small cylinder. On a VORTAC it is the top of the witch's hat were it becomes cylindrical. TACAN is designed to be flown into anywhere and put on the air in a few hours. For my recollection, it is not quite as precise as VOR. They can even be man portable.

VOR and TACAN need to be oriented to North. DME does not.

DME only station is a box and an antenna.

VORTAC

1722354793420.png

TACAN
1722354894446.png

DME Only Station
1722354924389.png

cool.
Is the DME in that photo only just the fencepost thing with a small box mounted on the side, or does it include the red and white building behind it?

Yeah! That was MY post! But you might agree that with 592 AM radio stations in Florida it would be nice to have a simple device that keeps a running estimate of your position by utilizing them as a backup to GPS. https://radiostation.info/am/florida/
While there are 592 radio stations in Florida, most of them are FM which legacy ADF cannot use. According to Radio-Locator.com Florida has 209 AM stations, more than enough to dial up a station within 40 miles of your location in a pinch. I live in Virginia which has 131, and the GPS interruption occurred in Ohio which has 111. I'd say my flight that day had the potential to use maybe 10 or more different AM stations along my route, including one less than 8 miles from my home airport. That's more than the VORs that were available, including Cassonova which was out of service at the time.

What I am trying to say is if you use GPS and expect RNAV VOR to be available as a secondary source, you may find it is not as readily available as you think. 5 years ago I pulled the ADF out of my bird in favor of a better GPS unit. I am rethinking that decision now. Maybe you should too.

Last edited:
Another thing just occurred to me. I spend a lot of time on top the clouds. If I lost gps above the clouds, pilotage isn’t gonna be of much help.

dtuuri, in an early post pointed out that a completely new ADF concept that was microprocessor based, did all the thinking inside, had a data base of all the USA broadcast stations, and a fixed but directional antenna, could solve the problem.

Operationally, when you turned on the radio power, and the display came up, input the airport you are on, and it has a fix for a stating point. As you fly, the fix should remain very good. With a database of airports, it would also be capable oe 'direct to' guidance to any airport, or search and display 'Nearest airport'. My old database RNAV LORAN, had this capability, but it is now in the College Park Aviation Museum,

This could pass the resolved position to whatever nav display you have in the same format as GPS, or to a dedicated display for continuous normal navigation.

This might not be limited to either AM, or FM, as identifying with audio would not be required, and the basic frequency would be the only signal needed to pinpoint the direction. Errors of as much as 10 degrees in areas with many stations would be smoothed out by normal surveying algorithms, to provide a position with a precision of a fraction of a mile, and high degree of certainty.

In areas with fewer transmitters, the motion of your aircraft would move the direction of the signal, and processing would gradually pin down an accurate position, and that accuracy would generally continue as long as the unit continued calculating.

Strikefinder technology achieves directional information with fixed antenna, so that technology is readably available. Standard AM has longer range, useful in less populated areas, but there are a lot more FM stations, and at our altitudes, they can be received well outside their normal service circle.

I have lived in the ADF world of home brew approaches, and have flown them in VFR conditions, to make sure that I was aware of the limitations and risks they had. Anybody here heard of he WTOP, or KXEO approaches? Both were popular, in widely different parts of the USA. WTOP morphed into a GPS approach.

Edited to add, the location of the transmit towers is already in a Federal database, Lat/Long/height MSL and AGL. Frequencies are there too.

Last edited:
Seems like they could just "turn it back on"
Probably not though......
that was regarding LORAN....

Just a few weeks ago I was back home in NC visiting family and took a scenic drive past the old Loran station near Carolina Beach (34.06259460717931, -77.91309685852718). I noticed the old Loran towers have been torn down and I was wondering what the Coast Guard is doing with that land these days....

I’ll offer a one word solution: Omega.

I used it while in the Navy. But it has its quirks, too.

-Skip

We had VLF/Omega in a few Army Helicopters for a short while. It was decent RNAV, but not as robust as LORAN-C.

One of the local airports here had its VOR/DME decommissioned and is now just a civil DME with no associated ATC function. Part of the Minimum Operating Network.

Those coordinates seem preposterously precise. 0.00000000000001 degrees is a resolution of 0.00000004 inches, or approximately 1 nanometer. Or about 1/3 the width of a DNA molecule. If I did my math right.
straight from a click on google maps

Oh, I believe you, I just see any reason for any navigation software to provide coordinates at the molecular level!
yeah, I think 7 digits gives you to less than an inch and 6 to less than a foot.

that was regarding LORAN....

Just a few weeks ago I was back home in NC visiting family and took a scenic drive past the old Loran station near Carolina Beach (34.06259460717931, -77.91309685852718). I noticed the old Loran towers have been torn down and I was wondering what the Coast Guard is doing with that land these days....
Good Question. Actually, both questions. The first being, @Lon Stratton's: why don't we just turn it back on? Almost all of the equipment has been disposed of and the towers torn down as indicated in Brad's post. This was done under the Obama administration (not making a judgement on his time as President, just giving context as to the timeline) and we had been moving toward disestablishing LORAN for several years up to that point. The decision was made during his tenure to finally flip the switch. At that time, there were a couple sites in very remote locations (Alaska, for example) that remained operational for a while. To my knowledge those have been disestablished as well. So no, we can't just turn them back on unfortunately. As for the question about the land, the answer varies widely. In some places, land was given back to local land management whether that be federal, local, tribal, state, whatever. In a few others, the federal government found other uses for the land. More often than not, it was repurposed for conservation of some sort. If I remember correctly, the LORAN site on the northern tip of Galveston Island, for example is a bird sanctuary today.

But loran had distance limitations, whereas the vlf/omega was good world wide. Not sure about the poles.

Operationally, when you turned on the radio power, and the display came up, input the airport you are on, and it has a fix for a stating point. As you fly, the fix should remain very good. With a database of airports, it would also be capable oe 'direct to' guidance to any airport, or search and display 'Nearest airport'. My old database RNAV LORAN, had this capability, but it is now in the College Park Aviation Museum,
With an integrated system, it could find initial position from a connection to your GPS. Like some ELTs do.

Back