GPS backup

OK....but if GPS goes out for everyone and nobody else in the air has a backup, how many aircraft does ATC have the bandwidth to support?
You are only looking at this from a GA perspective. The FAA looks at it from a national airspace system perspective and most of the users of the NAS have a backup to GPS--DME/DME/IRU.

The minimum VOR network is designed to support DME/DME/IRU.

You are only looking at this from a GA perspective. The FAA looks at it from a national airspace system perspective and most of the users of the NAS have a backup to GPS--DME/DME/IRU.

Thank you. I always wonder why this isn't brought up in these sorts of discussions.

A backup network for GPS already exists, it's DME/DME (with or without IRU). As VORTACs and VOR/DMEs and even TACANs are decommissioned, very often the DME portion of the facility is left in place, specifically to support DME/DME operations.

Since the technology for DME/DME positioning already exists in thousands of airliners and other turbine equipment (even smaller stuff like the King Air I fly), I think it would be a pretty simple matter for it to be adapted for light GA. I don't see why there couldn't be a GPS receiver with built-in DME/DME backup. It's certainly technologically possible - companies literally already make them. Just adapt the form factor.

As alluded to in this post, VORs aren't completely going away (yet).
The FAA is going to keep some just in case of GPS issues. They intend to keep a "Minimum Operational Network" VOR MON

I think the idea is that the "new" NDB would not have the pilot interact with it. It would just be a signal generator the Nav unit (GTN, etc.) would pick up, do the calculations, and then present you with the results as it does now with the GPS signals.

That’s pretty much how a DME/DME FMS works.

As alluded to in this post, VORs aren't completely going away (yet).
The FAA is going to keep some just in case of GPS issues. They intend to keep a "Minimum Operational Network" VOR MON

Yes, but I believe they're focusing on decommissioning the low altitude VORs and that the MON will be primarily high altitude stations. Since piston GA flies at lower altitudes, I think the impact on little gasoline burners will be more significant than the overall hit.

Yes, but I believe they're focusing on decommissioning the low altitude VORs and that the MON will be primarily high altitude stations. Since piston GA flies at lower altitudes, I think the impact on little gasoline burners will be more significant than the overall hit.
Don't the high-altitude VORs have the same service volume at piston altitudes as the low-altitude ones?

Alternatively, are you stating that the removal of low-altitude VORs will leave gaps at lower altitudes? Note that the reference suggests new service volumes above 5000 feet will be 70 nm rather than the 40 we are used to using.

The way I read that is strategy decision in 2 yrs and implementation period going out to 2047.

I’ll likely hang up my spurs before there’s an RNAV/DME/DME box in my panel.

The more I think about it though, Pilotage/DR is still foundational enough that it needs to be a solid skill for the GA pilot in a glass panel + EFB no-gps environment but we’ll end up with grandchildren of the magenta line for the most part.

The more I think about it though, Pilotage/DR is still foundational enough that it needs to be a solid skill for the GA pilot in a glass panel + EFB no-gps environment but we’ll end up with grandchildren of the magenta line for the most part.
Yep - we all still need to know how to look out the window.

ok, so I'm learnin' stuff here....

So I have follow-on questions.
So what ya'll are saying is that in many (some/all?) cases they are maintaining those big 'ol conehead buildings out there for use, at least in part, as DME stations.

How big or significant is the DME portion of that structure?

I mean if in the future we want to modernize/update and get rid of these buildings to eliminate all the no longer used or needed VOR stuff.

tear down these big old buildings that are probably suffering from leaks, infestations, and whatever else old unoccupied buildings suffer from...
And install a network of stations

How big is the DME "box" and antenna?
and how expensive is it?
and how much power does it need?

and how would an equivalent modern NDB transmitter compare in size, cost, power demands, etc..?

I think if we’re creating a modern back up to GPS we’d start from scratch and not just make a faster horse.

This has come up before.

My suggestion is for the GPS nav companies to add a DME receiver to the GPS and VORs. This would allow DME/DME and VOR/DME nav capability.

Add in one of the micro INS and we would have a very robust system.

DME units are small foot print and easy to set up all over.

NDBs are low frequency and need very large antennas.

ok, so I'm learnin' stuff here....

So I have follow-on questions.
So what ya'll are saying is that in many (some/all?) cases they are maintaining those big 'ol conehead buildings out there for use, at least in part, as DME stations.
Seriously? First, a VOR facility ain’t that big. Second, to rip it down and leave the DME requires money, which in .gov terms is time bound in units of slothiness.

How big is the DME "box" and antenna?
and how expensive is it?
and how much power does it need?

Cost? Budget dust.

Power? Less than a VOR and for most of the locations the power is already there.

…and how would an equivalent modern NDB transmitter compare in size, cost, power demands, etc..?
That’s irrelevant; the technology is not being considered for adoption. But, Donkey Hotey told me if you have a few billion dollars to donate to a variety of causes over a long time that you may be able to finally tilt a windmill.

Seriously? First, a VOR facility ain’t that big. Second, to rip it down and leave the DME requires money, which in .gov terms is time bound in units of slothiness.

Cost? Budget dust.

Power? Less than a VOR and for most of the locations the power is already there.

That’s irrelevant; the technology is not being considered for adoption. But, Donkey Hotey told me if you have a few billion dollars to donate to a variety of causes over a long time that you may be able to finally tilt a windmill.

A VOR building isn't that big? Well true, compared to an office building or a Wal-Mart.... but it sure is bigger than I'm imagining a small low-powered NDB transmitter might be.... as in maybe the size of a shoebox or certainly no bigger than a small refrigerator.

And besides, I wasn't saying rip it down just because.... but if you've got this building that's maybe pushing 50-60 years old or more, built to house a bunch of omnidirectional beacon stuff that is INOP, and is now only being used for the DME....there probably comes a time when it doesn't make sense to keep repairing the roof and keeping the exterminator on staff...when the whole thing could be replaced with some small little thing on the roof of the FBO

and NDB is irrelevant? maybe so...ahh, except for the OP of this thread. It in fact what this thread is about...or at least the basis for it.

and what does that last sentence even say? I take it it was meant as a dig towards me. I'm sorry, your wit was missed. Try again because I don't get it.

an area where GPS coverage was interrupted
If useful as heads up,
FLIGHT ADVISORY - GPS Interference Testing - Patuxent River (29 July-16 August)
(weekdays, 7am-11am lcl)
"testing ... may result in unreliable or unavailable GPS signal"

1721900769457.png
"This notice is being sent to you because you selected "Selected ATC Notices" in your preferences on FAASafety.gov."
[faasafety.gov > My Preferences and Profile > Email Notification Preferences]
... or full list under Resources > Notices

Addition to checking NOTAMs, RAIM check, etc., 'email notification' for Flight Advisory, (VIP TFRs, etc.) can be helpful as ... heads up.

Last edited:
I’ll likely hang up my spurs before there’s an RNAV/DME/DME box in my panel.

Hard to do when IMC. :D

DME/DME could be implemented with a LRU and software changes to later model GPSs.

A VOR building isn't that big? Well true, compared to an office building or a Wal-Mart.... but it sure is bigger than I'm imagining a small low-powered NDB transmitter might be.... as in maybe the size of a shoebox or certainly no bigger than a small refrigerator.
The problem is not the size of the transmitter, it is the size of the antenna required to get decent range.

Hard to do when IMC. :D

DME/DME could be implemented with a LRU and software changes to later model GPSs.

Eh, DR can be done IMC for the en route portion, it’s can be a lot more workload though if you’ve got a lot of fixes to hit. Direct? Fly the last known heading for the remaining ETE.

But I agree, implementation shouldn’t be that hard to do; certification is what would likely drive the cost and time to market up though.

Back