While this isn't a violation of 91.119, isn't it getting a bit too close to 91.13?

AV8R_87

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OC
To give you a sensation of scale, the waterway is 600 feet wide. He's probably less than 20 feet above the water and 200 ft from the people and property on the shore, while flying over a couple small boats and jetskis.
Might not be illegal, but it sure feels like a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

Heli_water.jpg

I've flown lower than that over Lake Michigan /shoreline at a much higher speed. Kept 91.119 intact though.

Got enthusiastic waves from the few people out walking on the beach.

Do helicopters have the same altitude limitations as fixed wing? I may have read that they do not as they frequently fly overhead my city at less than 500.

Do helicopters have the same altitude limitations as fixed wing? I may have read that they do not as they frequently fly overhead my city at less than 500.
No. 91.119 is pretty clear that the minimum altitude limits do not apply to helicopters, except the general rule that it must not pose a hazard to people if the engine fails.

c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

I'll be more scared not to mast bump that rotor than flying too low

There is a helicopter route in DC that requires helicopters to be at or BELOW 200 ft AGL over the Tidal Basin and Roosevelt monument. Summer weekend, LOTS of people there.

The problem with water and that low of altitude, is height / depth perception illusion. You can plow it into the water in a split second if you’re not keeping up your scan.

Reminds me of a story in Gene Cernan’s book. One day he grabbed one of NASA’s H-13s and took it out for a joy ride along the intercostal waterway. He said one minute he was cruising along at 10 ft and waving at boaters, the next, he was sinking to the bottom of the waterway still strapped in his seat. Fortunately, he was able to un strap and come to the surface. Unfortunately, the surface was on fire from his fuel and he burned his helmet / eye brows. Deke Slayton provided top cover for him and he wasn’t removed from Apollo17’s commander.

Reminds me of a story in Gene Cernan’s book. One day he grabbed one of NASA’s H-13s and took it out for a joy ride along the intercostal waterway. He said one minute he was cruising along at 10 ft and waving at boaters, the next, he was sinking to the bottom of the waterway still strapped in his seat. Fortunately, he was able to un strap and come to the surface. Unfortunately, the surface was on fire from his fuel and he burned his helmet / eye brows. Deke Slayton provided top cover for him and he wasn’t removed from Apollo17’s commander.
Great book! I recall McDivitt tried hard to have Cernan removed from 17 and resigned when that didn't happen.

Great book! I recall McDivitt tried hard to have Cernan removed from 17 and resigned when that didn't happen.
Yep. Another thing I didn’t know was he wanted Joe Engle and not Schmitt. Even though he worked out (excellent LM pilot) and they got along fine, he wanted another test pilot with him on the surface.

Back