the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

When I get around to updating my map, the state of Alabama will now be filled in.
Do you have a link to the map making site or whatever it is?

Only include states I was pic to? Or include trips where I joined my dad or brother?

Can I include Canada as the 51st state?

Do you have a link to the map making site or whatever it is?

Only include states I was pic to? Or include trips where I joined my dad or brother?

Can I include Canada as the 51st state?
This is the one I use:

Then you link the url as a picture in your signature. There's no Canada on this one to add as a 51st state. You'd have to find another site.

I think the best solution would be to rent a plane with floats, land on Lake Michigan, and then fill that in on the map.

What does the "scheduled" time mean on Flightaware? For us GA pilots who have not filed a flight plan, but there's still a scheduled time that is like 15 minutes off from our actual departure and arrival times?

It is now a little after 2pm MT. My wife and I got up around 7:45am.

She just informed me that she put her bra on backwards this morning...

To be fair, it is one of those sport type bras, but still....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Something I don't yet understand:
Just now I call the AWOS at my airport. It states wind calm. However in Garmin Pilot and Airnav, the METAR that is 16 minutes old says 8G16KT. That exceeds my personal minimums as a student.
Why the large discrepancy?

8G16 and I cancel. But if it's calm obviously that's ok to solo. There are no storms or anything that would cause that much of a change in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Now why did they do that?

Two Skyhawks, each M model. One has labels by fuel caps that say "21 gallons". The other Skyhawk has it labels state "19 gallons".

Each tank can hold up to 21 total gallons, with 19 usable.

True first world problem.

BTW - I see that they also sell a fuel stick for 20 gallon Skyhawks. What model ever had that?
1692474360925.png

Something I don't yet understand:
Just now I call the AWOS at my airport. It states wind calm. However in Garmin Pilot and Airnav, the METAR that is 16 minutes old says 8G16KT. That exceeds my personal minimums as a student.

8G16 and I cancel. But if it's calm obviously that's ok to solo. There are no storms or anything that would cause that much of a change in 15 minutes.
What does the (nearby) TAF say? Two data points that disagree call for more data. Someone could have done a run up near the AWOS spinning it or blanking it.

What does the (nearby) TAF say? Two data points that disagree call for more data. Someone could have done a run up near the AWOS spinning it or blanking it.
True. Or a large thermal just let loose ...

The TAF is from another airfield 28 miles away. When the METAR and AWOS disagree, I guess I should go with the one that observes worse weather?

The TAF is from another airfield 28 miles away. When the METAR and AWOS disagree, I guess I should go with the one that observes worse weather?

How far away is the airport, and is the forecast supposed to improve or get worse? If it's not far, and the forecast is predicting an upward trend, I'd just drive down and check it out. If it's a long ways away or the forecast is supposed to be getting worse soon, I'd probably skip it. If you can, you could also call the FBO at the airport and ask about current conditions from someone who could step outside and tell you if there's wind or not.

How far away is the airport, and is the forecast supposed to improve or get worse? If it's not far, and the forecast is predicting an upward trend, I'd just drive down and check it out. If it's a long ways away or the forecast is supposed to be getting worse soon, I'd probably skip it. If you can, you could also call the FBO at the airport and ask about current conditions from someone who could step outside and tell you if there's wind or not.
Yeah, I was expecting the winds to improve. I had to cancel yesterday because of winds, but they were forecasted for a while and expected due to a big temperature change. But this morning was supposed to be calmer. I was watching all of the airports in the area and the METARS were all over the place. So I ended up staying on the ground. But I just hate calling into the AWOS when I would otherwise be in the air and hearing the voice announce calm winds!

I've only solo'd recently so my minimums are very conservative, and I need to play it very safe though. The airfield is 35 mins for me in good traffic.

A couple hours ago the owner of my flight school posted an Instagram video of a couple V-22s visiting for some reason. I miss all the good stuff :frown3::frown3::frown3:

Yeah, I was expecting the winds to improve. I had to cancel yesterday because of winds, but they were forecasted for a while and expected due to a big temperature change. But this morning was supposed to be calmer. I was watching all of the airports in the area and the METARS were all over the place. So I ended up staying on the ground. But I just hate calling into the AWOS when I would otherwise be in the air and hearing the voice announce calm winds!

I've only solo'd recently so my minimums are very conservative, and I need to play it very safe though. The airfield is 35 mins for me in good traffic.

A couple hours ago the owner of my flight school posted an Instagram video of a couple V-22s visiting for some reason. I miss all the good stuff :frown3::frown3::frown3:

If you can, being willing to drive down to the airport and come home without flying will decrease the flights you cancel due to weather. I had a 1.5 hour trip one-way, so I often had to engage in "weather gambling" or cancel about 4 out of 5 scheduled flights because of possible weather.

Go to weather.gov click on the map and select “Forecast->ForecastDiscussion” to get the big picture. If you want just the aviation-focused section, you can get it via aviationweather.gov from “Forecasts->AvnForecastDisc”. Sometimes they’ll mention something just passing through. Other times the weather guesser gets honest and says something like “I have no idea. The TAF is probably way off” (paraphrased)

Flew my first approach from the right seat in a new to me airplane (PA30). It was quite bad. I have no clue how CFII’s do it.
Got to fly another 1.0 in the PA30 from the right seat including take off, a hold and a full ILS. I performed much better. Also, I’m a huge fan of how it handles. Easy to put it into any attitude you need without being light on the controls. Dare I say Mooney-like.

I upgraded my Internet connection from 75Mbps to 400Mbps a few months ago. My area 660 database updates used to take 60 minutes. Now they take 55 minutes.:crazy:
Aera 660 software version 4.00 is out. It is supposed to improve Wi-Fi download performance. Where v3.91 used to take 55 minutes, v4.00 now takes 52 minutes. :sigh:

Kind of scratching my head on how an ILS approach would have minimums that are higher than a LOC for the same rwy? Any thoughts as to how that happens?
Different approach, but also interesting that the LPV approach for this RWY goes down to 250'... I don't think I've seen an ILS with a DA so much higher before.
View attachment 119706
This probably thread worthy in Cleared For The Approach. My first guess was it has something to do with that 1216’ obstruction about a mile or so on final. And that descent below DA is figured into the calculations because when you make the ‘decision’ you’re going to descend a little further while the engine spools up and you get up and outta there, while MDA is a ‘hard deck’ so to speak. But then there’s the RNAV(GPS) Approach having much lower minimums that seems to defuse that logic. And then @masloki brought up the ‘coupled approaches’ not authorized thing. @RussR , when ya get some time, will ya chime in here?

Last edited:
This probably thread worthy in Cleared For The Approach. My first guess was it has something to do with that 1216’ obstruction about a mile or so on final. And that descent below DA is figured into the calculations because when you make the ‘decision’ you’re going to descend a little further while the engine spools up and you get up and outta there, while MDA is a ‘hard deck’ so to speak. But then there’s the RNAV(GPS) Approach having much lower minimums that seems to defuse that logic. And then @masloki brought up the ‘coupled approaches’ not authorized thing. @RussR , when ya get some time, will ya chime in here?

Without looking this specific one up, I have a best guess.

Re: why the RNAV and ILS are different:
LPV and ILS final evaluations are the same, in area, obstacle clearance, DA calculation method, etc. But what is NOT, is the missed approach. On an ILS or an LPV (or an LNAV/VNAV or an RNAV (RNP)), if there is an obstacle in the missed approach that cannot be routed around, the only solution is to raise the DA so that 1) the missed approach starts sooner and therefore has more time to climb to clear the obstacle, and 2) the starting altitude is higher, helping to clear the obstacle.

GPS missed approaches are based on the GPS signal (duh), but ILS missed approaches are based on a nearby VOR signal, or like in this case, an NDB signal. Since GPS is so much more accurate than those others, the GPS missed approach evaluation area is much narrower and often can avoid obstacles that would impact an ILS missed approach.

In addition, the GPS missed approach can go anywhere, whereas the ILS missed approach design is severely limited by the surrounding NAVAID structure. Meaning, there are lots more options for a GPS and very limited options for an ILS. In this case, the GPS goes straight out, which is the easiest of course. But the ILS turns back around to return to the NDB. This means the whole turn area has to be evaluated too, which is pretty large, since a Cat D aircraft doesn't turn nearly as quickly as a Cat A.

Therefore, it's my guess that the obstacles causing the higher DA are either the 1732 tower or the 1714 tower, or both.

Re: Why the LOC is lower than the ILS.
This happens sometimes with LPV and LNAV as well. Basically, for an obstacle in final, the DA allows you to break out and see the offending obstacle in front of you. So if the geometry is just right (or wrong), the increase caused by an obstacle can be greater for the LPV/ILS than the LNAV/LOC.

Also, in this case as I suspect the missed approach is where the issue is, the design criteria for ILS and LOC is pretty drastically different actually. The LOC allows an immediate turn at the MAP, whereas the ILS allows for height loss and a straight section before turning. Since the evaluated areas gets wider at the MAP, this can cause situations where the ILS missed pulls in many more obstacles off to the side than the LOC missed. Hard to explain, if anybody wants I can probably find a picture.

Re: the autopilot coupled NA note:
This has no effect on DA. The DA is determined through evaluation of the obstacles, and then flight inspection determines if the signal is usable by autopilots all the way down. Some autopilots cannot deal with the signal getting a little squirrelly whereas the human brain can if hand-flying.

Last edited:
Watching a home buyer type tv show, where people sometimes pick houses based on the appliances having stainless steel panels makes me wonder if some people buy cars based on what was playing on the radio during their test drive. Not worthy of it's own thread for sure.

Watching a home buyer type tv show, where people sometimes pick houses based on the appliances having stainless steel panels makes me wonder if some people buy cars based on what was playing on the radio during their test drive.
Supposedly "the feel of the wheel will seal the deal."

I usually do the test drive thing after I've narrowed down what I want to a couple of things, and well before I've secured financing. So I can't imagine buying right after a test drive. But I'm pretty boring, and can't see impulse buying a car.

Agree that reality tv is fake, but it's less offensive than the things that are supposed to be non-fiction.

And people used to make fun of me for saying that the Benny Hill Show was high quality entertainment.

this darn green light in the ceiling

a00fb35783d61d062938c63717653a6f.jpg

The Aviator is a really good watch, at least until he goes nuts nuts

So I popped my "seat slide" cherry last night coming into 06C. It was on the flare of my last night landing. It wasn't a perfect approach, but when the seat slid I loosened my grip and landed a bit flat, bounced, and then got it settled. The plane has stoppers and is equipped with the inertial reel thing, but for some reason it gave up some inches.

My wife needed my help on changing some settings on her phone. So I took the opportunity to set the ring tone when I call her to Barry White’s “Can’t get enough of you Baby”. Oh yeah…….

1) Google maps may route you around flooded underpasses.
2) The alternate route may also be flooded enough that just being in a truck is not enough
3) The water is deeper than it looks
4) My '08 Focus with about 200k on it does surprisingly well in water that didn't look that bad until it was too late
5) Sometimes it a good idea to go back through those places that seemed too deep when you wen through them the first time rather than attempt the place with the stranded pickups
6) You can hear the water sloshing in (I assume) the rocker panels for quite a while after you get out of the water

my first foray back into the rental world ended up in a <24 hour notice cancellation on me. fml.

Back