Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

Pouring old engine oil into the ground was recommended by Popular Science less than 60 years ago.

View attachment 132772
Used to do that.

Oil was also the typical treatment for dirt roads.

And, at work, they would save up all the old oil from oil changes until they filled a 55 gallon drum, then they would put it in the bucket of a loader, punch some holes in it, and spread it around the lot to cut down on the dust.

Used to do that.

Oil was also the typical treatment for dirt roads.

And, at work, they would save up all the old oil from oil changes until they filled a 55 gallon drum, then they would put it in the bucket of a loader, punch some holes in it, and spread it around the lot to cut down on the dust.

Hey, everything in that used motor oil came from the ground at some point, you’re just returning it to the earth from whence it came.

My grandfather was not well off at all, and as such was quite frugal. Grandma always had a decent sedan, he always had a beater farm truck.

The sedan got new oil, and when it got changed out that oil went into the pickup for round two. The old oil from the pickup (round three) was mixed 50/50 with herbicide for weed control on the farm.

Aww, humanity doesn’t change, long ago it was a long zip tie around one of the u-joint knuckles in the driveshaft. (I was in a highschool automotive technology hub class through an area community college when the teacher really peeved off one of the other students. Kinda sad but the “automotive tech-teacher” replaced a lot of parts on his car and was trying to figure out the “noise” when he drove it for over two months ).

Aww, humanity doesn’t change, long ago it was a long zip tie around one of the u-joint knuckles in the driveshaft. (I was in a highschool automotive technology hub class through an area community college when the teacher really peeved off one of the other students. Kinda sad but the “automotive tech-teacher” replaced a lot of parts on his car and was trying to figure out the “noise” when he drove it for over two months ).

I may have once duct taped a rock to a driveshaft.

Q: Why was the police dog fired?

A: Because the whole time the suspect was in the basement, he kept shouting "Roof, roof!"

When I was a kid, adults would sometimes ask if I had a role model. I'd say "bugs bunny", and they thought I didn't understand the question. Bugs is STILL a role model. I didn't know about Yogi Bera yet, and Mitch Hedberg wasn't around yet.

My favorite Yogi-ism:
Yogi, don't you know anything??
Ma'am, I don't even SUSPECT anything.

I wonder if they'll get one of those email/web surveys after their flight?

On a scale of 1-10, how likely would you be to recommend "Boeing Starliner" for your friend's travel needs? 1 - highly unlikely, 10 - very likely

otoh - they get to spend more time in space.

Yep. For an astronaut, that is probably akin to me being stuck in a luxury resort in a tropical paradise. But even that would get old after a while.

I have heard golf pros talking about the grind of playing golf every day. And I have heard golf nuts (I’m not one) saying that they’d be happy to try and see if it would really be a grind

I have heard golf pros talking about the grind of playing golf every day. And I have heard golf nuts (I’m not one) saying that they’d be happy to try and see if it would really be a grind
When I was 16 I got a job as a cook in a pizza joint. All the free pizza I could eat!
Everyone told me I would soon be sick of pizza.
I kept that job till I finished high school, and my first year at a local college. I had to quit when I moved to Atlanta to start Ga. Tech in 1971 four years later.

I never did get sick of pizza, and I am sad that I need to limit my intake of those slices of heaven today.
Getting old sucks.

Back