Is AvWeb Done?

People keep saying, "free speech!", but our right to free speech is something the government isn't allowed to restrict. It doesn't apply to a privately owned website... just as the host of a private dinner party may choose to limit the discussion at his table. If you don't like it, eat elsewhere.

I'm a moderator on another aviation forum. We don't allow political discussion, because not only does it get ugly, it dilutes the legitimate discussion and makes people stay away who would otherwise have something useful to contribute.
I’ve always responded to people that criticize about “no politics” limits by saying that they are 100% free to start their own forum that allows any content they want to allow. It’s that simple.

You might find interesting political threads on college sports message boards. Generally self policed off topic forums. There are trolls and troublemakers everywhere but the posters are generally smart enough to figure out who to ignore. Average age is probably 40, so expect lots of vitriol towards boomers between policy arguments and data links

Ymmv

iu

Winter is just around the corner.

Make accounts linked to your real identity. If you want to post send in a copy of your driver's license and use your real name and city/state.
People are way to brave when they can be anonymous.
I've met one or two people IRL that I knew would act up when online... I called them out when we met and they never said a disparaging word again.

Make accounts linked to your real identity. If you want to post send in a copy of your driver's license and use your real name and city/state.
Send that info to some group of unknown to me people? Not for me. I'm happy with POA as it is is and thak the mods for trashing the Spin Zone even if I never looked at anything there.

So, what is your opinion of "THE NEW AvWeb"?
They have come through with their promise and improved the comment section. :happydance::cheers:

So, what is your opinion of "THE NEW AvWeb"?
They have come through with their promise and improved the comment section. :happydance::cheers:

Sigh....I hate UI developers. I'm sure it's mobile optimized which annoys the hell out of me.
What a waste of real estate with the ginormous images and white space.

Sigh....I hate UI developers. I'm sure it's mobile optimized which annoys the hell out of me.

It doesn’t load correctly on my iPad. Lots of overlapping text. And it’s harder to navigate.

It doesn’t load correctly on my iPad. Lots of overlapping text. And it’s harder to navigate.
As a great pilot once said, "Never Fly the A Model of Anything"

Not a fan of the new format.....probably not gonna read as much there.

Send that info to some group of unknown to me people? Not for me. I'm happy with POA as it is is and thak the mods for trashing the Spin Zone even if I never looked at anything there.
You give your identity to unknown people every day. When you deal with the government, banks, credit cards, medical personal etc.

id.me is an identity verification site that is becoming quite popular.... you can have a screen name but you must first be authorized by id.me so they know who you are.

The reason the net is a cesspool is that anonymity allows it. Back in ye old good times if you wanted to be heard you went to the town square and stood (sometimes) on a soapbox.

We need that level of civility to cut the crap that is the online keyboard commando. Facebook would change overnight, shill accounts and bots would disappear from X and reddit... and to a lesser extent more specialized sites. If you get banned, you really really get banned.

I miss him too. He impressed me as a no BS honest kind of guy. I assume that AV Web like most contemporary companies introduced some nonsense BS that he didn't want to deal with.

Just my thoughts, which may be BS too.

The reason the net is a cesspool is that anonymity allows it.
Contrary datapoints:

1) Facebook is the least anonymous of the major platforms and still quite a cesspool
2) Reddit is very anonymous and is the least of a cesspool of the major platforms

What the internet lacks (mostly) is accountability. It's pretty unusual for someone (at least normal people, high profile people do sometimes get held accountable) to say even the most toxic stuff imaginable and suffer any negative side effects.

I miss him too. He impressed me as a no BS honest kind of guy. I assume that AV Web like most contemporary companies introduced some nonsense BS that he didn't want to deal with.

Just my thoughts, which may be BS too.

Those were my thoughts as well.

AVweb is just another example of a brand bought by Firecrown.com (i.e. FLYING) that ignored the community and is gutted.

AVweb is just another example of a brand bought by Firecrown.com (i.e. FLYING) that ignored the community and is gutted.
Of course, some of the companies they bought were ripe for gutting.

Of course, some of the companies they bought were ripe for gutting.
Probably. But it looks like they have thrown the baby out with the bath water in several cases. I hope they don’t butcher Kitplanes too…

Probably. But it looks like they have thrown the baby out with the bath water in several cases. I hope they don’t butcher Kitplanes too…
Based on the new typesetting and other "enhancements" to "improve" reading, they are on the way.

Back