Do GA aircraft have this device?

popPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pop Pilot
I saw in a video when the door of the car closes these vent like moves air out(opening and releasing air) with the effect of the door being closed and the air pushed into the car.

I couldn't find any info or how is this called in cars.
Does anyone know how is this called and if GA aircraft use it?

air-release-car.jpg

Yup, my Ercoupe has holes all around the cockpit, plus the doors are actually canopy covers/windows that slide into place.

I found those vent flaps on a Dodge 1976 250 pickup truck doors and on a 1987 dodge ram charger had the same vent flaps in the doors so they would close without slamming the doors.
I have had several Kenworth trucks including a new one that needs those vents. Hard to close those doors without the window being crack open a bit.
So those door vents are nothing new.

I have had several Kenworth trucks including a new one that needs those vents. Hard to close those doors without the window being crack open a bit.

That's a feature, not a bug. Look at the crazy labyrinth door seals - every time I watch a Freightliner driver try to close a Kenworth door without 'following through,' I smile knowing the cab is such a vault.

The J3 is great at moving air.
Nothing like flying in 0 F temps with an 80 mph wind chill..

In reality, that's a pretty neat feature for a car.

You guys with the fancy planes with more than one door crack me up...

Doors? We don't need no stinkin doors! :)

2550778d6d2ea616542c6620ecd06401.jpg

In a car, van or truck with 4 doors, all 4 simultaneously closing would cause quite a large amount of pressure in the cabin and prevent the doors from closing securely.

That said, the Beech Sundowner has a fixed exhaust as part of the environmental system Figure 7-29.

My 2002 BMW M3 lowers the window slightly when you open the open and raises it once it is closed.

My 2002 BMW M3 lowers the window slightly when you open the open and raises it once it is closed.
Convertible? Those do that because there's no window frame, the windows seal in a groove in the roof. If the window didn't retract, you couldn't open the door.

Great system, though. Until the window regulator fritzes out.

You'll see that on certain fixed-roof cars with frameless windows in the doors, too.

Yep! Friend has a Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible, and I think it does the same thing.

My favorite BMW door story, though, was that a friend had an older one that apparently had hydraulic door locks. On a really hot day sometimes the fluid would expand a bit and unlock all the doors.

Convertible? Those do that because there's no window frame, the windows seal in a groove in the roof. If the window didn't retract, you couldn't open the door.

Great system, though. Until the window regulator fritzes out.
The Tesla does that and it's not convertible.

So do the Mustangs/Camaros from the 2010's. Glass auto-retracts a 1/8" or so when door is opened, goes back up when door is closed. Makes no difference if it's convertible or coupe. Just better fit on the weather seal.

So do the Mustangs/Camaros from the 2010's. Glass auto-retracts a 1/8" or so when door is opened, goes back up when door is closed. Makes no difference if it's convertible or coupe. Just better fit on the weather seal.
I thought it was because it was a convertible on our 2007 GT.

I thought it was because it was a convertible on our 2007 GT.
Nope, has to do with the weather strip design (frameless glass) and not having it deform causing wind noise. My sister had a 2010 GT, and my father still owns a 2014 GT. I've driven numerous Mustang variants from 2010+ as rentals and they all do it. You do have to be careful if you own one of the BMW/Mustang/etc vehicles with this feature and you disconnect the battery, as it can catch the glass on the seal when closing it (say for long term storage).

Back