Dan Gryder Lockheed Electra Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unless you were there, you don't know that. But we do know he was the instructor giving instruction because he said so.

We also know he crashed some poor schlub's 150 in a cornfield.
Guys I’ve got work tomorrow if anyone has serious questions or comment I’ll answer them tomorrow . It seems this thread is a “Snarky Circle Jerk” as one poster called it, so I’ll let you expend on each other tonight.

Guys I’ve got work tomorrow if anyone has serious questions or comment I’ll answer them tomorrow . It seems this thread is a “Snarky Circle Jerk” as one poster called it, so I’ll let you expend on each other tonight.
Serious question: What's Dan giving you in exchange for all the ass kissing you're doing here?

I have a question for the experts in the field.

Is this scenario legal? Safe? Both? Neither?

Consider, hypothetically, that you are an exceptionally skilled pilot, whom we shall refer to as "Gan Dryder." Imagine you own a large, vintage twin-engine aircraft—perhaps a DC-3—adorned with a substantial amount of duct tape.

During a flight with a group of skydivers onboard, you decide to leave your seat, entrusting the controls to your unlicensed student pilot son. You then proceed to the rear of the aircraft to observe the jumpers as they exit the plane. Hypothetically speaking, would this situation raise any concerns? While something tells me this "might" be legally permissible, let us also assume you are a self-proclaimed advocate for aviation safety... Might this seem contrary to your pretend safety persona?

I have been shown a cell phone video depicting this scenario, and it prompts me to question its implications. Although I do not consider myself an expert on the specific regulations, the situation strikes me as potentially unsafe and, perhaps, not entirely legal or prudent.

What I am saying is that I know of at least 5 high profile accidents within the last 2-3 years where pilots with "superior airmanship" were not only killed but took a lot of other people with them. So, I would rather be lucky than good….
I don’t know anyone who would not prefer there be fewer fatals, but I’m having a hard time understanding what that has to with DG.

…Dan did not walk away, but survived a horrendous accident in which he was not the pilot...
So he was a disinterested passenger just along for the ride with no other purpose for being on the plane?

Let me digress a bit. In a professional environment, a risk assessment should have been done before deciding to do a live flight demonstration of whatever point he was trying to prove. There’s plenty of history of maintenance induced failure (MIF); applying a safety mindset, one would consider the risk of a MIF, the distraction of a video production, and the suitability of the field in the event of any number of failures that could have manifested after maintenance was performed.

In a prior career, I used to have the privilege of crewing Operational Check Flights, which are the first flight after a significant maintenance event, and those flights were pretty scripted in what we would as well as very detailed pre-flight checks to verify we could safely perform the flight. More often than not, we did jot fly the first scheduled attempt. Fulfilling training events was not only not scheduled, it was not permitted on these OCFs; we flew the profile to verify the plane was safe to return to service.

Fast forward a bit and there we were in a jet that had some work done on the fuel transfer system. No OCF was called for, so we took it out to Seymour Johnson for a week. During the first pre-flight after arriving, we had an uncommanded fuel transfer. Can’t fly with that, so we turned it over to maintenance. They started taking apart the affected system and found a bunch of red rags stuffed in a fuel line that were dislodged during air refueling and effectively jammed a transfer valve open.

I don’t know if an OCF would have found that or not, but as a training squadron, we had a hard conversation about the actual risks we incurred and how we could mitigate them in the future.

It would seem someone who once pushed an AQP For the People program would apply that concept to his own endeavors.

Just one comment…you must really hate Dan to expend this much effort to reinforce negative opinions of him.

I don’t know anyone who would not prefer there be fewer fatals, but I’m having a hard time understanding what that has to with DG.

So he was a disinterested passenger just along for the ride with no other purpose for being on the plane?

Let me digress a bit. In a professional environment, a risk assessment should have been done before deciding to do a live flight demonstration of whatever point he was trying to prove. There’s plenty of history of maintenance induced failure (MIF); applying a safety mindset, one would consider the risk of a MIF, the distraction of a video production, and the suitability of the field in the event of any number of failures that could have manifested after maintenance was performed.

In a prior career, I used to have the privilege of crewing Operational Check Flights, which are the first flight after a significant maintenance event, and those flights were pretty scripted in what we would as well as very detailed pre-flight checks to verify we could safely perform the flight. More often than not, we did jot fly the first scheduled attempt. Fulfilling training events was not only not scheduled, it was not permitted on these OCFs; we flew the profile to verify the plane was safe to return to service.

Fast forward a bit and there we were in a jet that had some work done on the fuel transfer system. No OCF was called for, so we took it out to Seymour Johnson for a week. During the first pre-flight after arriving, we had an uncommanded fuel transfer. Can’t fly with that, so we turned it over to maintenance. They started taking apart the affected system and found a bunch of red rags stuffed in a fuel line that were dislodged during air refueling and effectively jammed a transfer valve open.

I don’t know if an OCF would have found that or not, but as a training squadron, we had a hard conversation about the actual risks we incurred and how we could mitigate them in the future.

It would seem someone who once pushed an AQP For the People program would apply that concept to his own endeavors.
Thank you for putting together a civil response but I have to fess up about this thread. My wife and I have been discussing getting old and I think somewhere Clint Eastwood is quoted as saying “I don't let the old man in.” I noticed on forums not just this one “an angry old man attitude”. Very snarky and opinionated and generally the same group of people. I had only come to POA once before to ask a question about Engine heaters and really never got on again. Somehow this thread popped up and I started reading the comments and was really surprised at the hatefulness of them. So of course, I wanted to see what happens when you poke old men. I found out for sure. What I learned is that it’s real and I need to watch out for it in everything I do because it will take hold. I am older in age but I am going to maintain a youthful optimistic attitude. I’m sure Dan will be okay and I’ll leave you guys to do whatever you do.

Thank you for referencing my "snarky circle jerk" comment weeks ago. I do take issue with the "old man" comment as I believe the perpetrators herein are mostly little boys whose Play Stations have crapped out. This part of POA is useless, but good fun for those with nothing better to do.

Thank you for putting together a civil response but I have to fess up about this thread. My wife and I have been discussing getting old and I think somewhere Clint Eastwood is quoted as saying “I don't let the old man in.” I noticed on forums not just this one “an angry old man attitude”. Very snarky and opinionated and generally the same group of people. I had only come to POA once before to ask a question about Engine heaters and really never got on again. Somehow this thread popped up and I started reading the comments and was really surprised at the hatefulness of them. So of course, I wanted to see what happens when you poke old men. I found out for sure. What I learned is that it’s real and I need to watch out for it in everything I do because it will take hold. I am older in age but I am going to maintain a youthful optimistic attitude. I’m sure Dan will be okay and I’ll leave you guys to do whatever you do.
So you admit to being a troll, but blame those you're trolling for bringing it on themselves. Classic.

So of course, I wanted to see what happens when you poke old men. I found out for sure.
FWIW, the disdain for Gryder skews younger. While there is a broad demographic of people willing to excuse dan for threatening to run over police, steal parts from accident sites, wreck planes, defame people and stalk women, the people unwilling to excuse him seems not to be the old men, as you claim, but younger people who can see through his nonsense.

Yes, I can see from the recent campus protests that the youth of America have pegged the "brilliant" meter. Each thinking for themselves and after deep reflection, following the crowd....you know....kind of like this forum.

Yes, I can see from the recent campus protests that the youth of America have pegged the "brilliant" meter. Each thinking for themselves and after deep reflection, following the crowd....you know....kind of like this forum.
Thanks! We did learn a lot from the mistakes of our ancestors!

Wait, is it the Geezers or the Youngsters you're dismissive of? Wait, I'm in the middle so I guess that covers about everyone. :D

Looking at your post history, I see mostly posts about Oshkosh and crashes. I think I'll just call you Captain Dan. ;)

Looking at your post history, I see mostly posts about Oshkosh and crashes. I think. I'll just call you Captain Dan. ;)
Lots of Dans around here these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back