Trip to Rhinebeck and Smithsonian Air & Space Museums

kyleb

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I have several items on my aviation bucket list and checked off two of 'em last week. Early Saturday morning my son Alex and I flew commercial from Atlanta to Newark NJ and picked up a rental car which got us the 100 or so miles North to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. We were there by 12:30 or so, and had plenty of time to walk the airfield prior to the show. It was a beautiful fall day, with blue skies and leaves just beginning to change. For the afternoon (~2:30-4:00) airshow, we located ourselves on a bench near the center of the action and watched various Golden Age and prior aircraft and replicas do their thing. The oldest airplane they flew that day was a 1909 (?) Curtiss pusher. There were mock dogfights (Fokker triplane vs Bristol F.2B), a toilet paper cutting contest, and a demo flight by a replica Fokker D.VIII (the parasol monoplane fighter), complete with a rotary engine. After the show, we browsed through the 4 museum buildings where they have a collection of (pretty motley) vintage aircraft from the teens and twenties. To cap our day, we took the afternoon's final flight on Rhinebeck's New Standard biplane. Lots of fun, and a beautiful early evening to fly over the Hudson Valley.

I'd left Sunday open just in case we got weathered out on Saturday, so we had an open day. We spent that time well. First, we made our way down to the USMA at West Point. There, we took an hour and a half bus tour that hit the highlights of the campus - the drill field, the chapel, and some of the Revolutionary War history of the site. We also toured the museum, although some areas were closed. After that we drove about 5 miles South and hiked Bear mountain, which along the Appalachian trail. The segment we hiked was up the highest hill (mountain?) in the area and was (my estimate) 2 miles up and the same distance down. The challenge of the trail was its incline. There are approximately 1300 granite steps that make up a big portion of the trail. 1300 up. 1300 down. I got winded a couple of times on the way up. Surprisingly I wasn't sore the next day. The views from the top of the mountain were great - you could look up and down the Hudson Valley. The day was clear enough we could make out the skyline of NYC, which is about 50 miles south.

Monday was a travel day. We dropped the rental car back at the Newark airport and took Amtrak from there to DC, arriving on a drizzly afternoon. That weather persisted for the balance of our stay in Washington.

On Tuesday, we took the Metro subway and a bus to the Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles. That was about an hour and a half trip. The museum was awesome. I was amazed at all of the displays and how well the aircraft and artifacts were displayed. Enola Gay, SR-71, Shuttle, an array of sole survivor (or close) WWII Axis aircraft, plus plenty of US military and civilian hardware. There is a viewing area where you can overlook the restoration shop. Currently in the shop are: Me-109, B-26 Flak Bait, Douglas SBD, Japanese Ohka, Russian Sturmovik, and probably a couple of others. One of the interesting exhibits was the disassembled B-17 - Shoo-Shoo-Baby. Its fuselage was parked adjacent to the modern military jets, with the closest being an FA-18A. Amazing that a modern fighter jet is about 90% as big as the B-17, which I think of as a large airplane. I'd go back to Udvar Hazy in a heartbeat.

Wednesday we went to the downtown NASM. I know they have been revamping the museum, but I struggle with their process. Currently over 50% of the museum is closed for renovation. I get that you have to update things, but why not update a gallery or two at a time, not the whole thing at once? I picked up on a couple of exhibits where the information wasn't quite correct and a couple of spelling errors too. Kind of surprising. Also, it was obvious that they are trying to put something of a spin on the demographic makeup of the pilot and astronaut ranks. Despite those things, it was a worthwhile stop. I need to go back to the NASM/mall location when it is complete. I've been there 3 times and my batting average is terrible. One time it was closed for the full remodel, once (only) the lobby was open, and last week about 40% of the space was open.

After finishing our NASM visit, we dropped by the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and the other very important/historic documents on display. That was a good way to spend an hour or so and was something which should create a memory and context for Alex.

That evening, we caught the Metro to Reagan International and flew home.

Anyway, a really good 5 day trip with a lot of aviation and other content. I enjoyed it, Alex enjoyed it, and we got some father/son time.

Note: To ride the Metro in DC, you need a SmarTrip (I'm not certain that's the right name) card you can buy in the entrances to the subway. Fares to various locations are listed nearby, so you can load the card with whatever amount of money you expect to spend. If necessary, you can add money to the card later. I found the Metro to be easy to use, clean, and very convenient from our hotel near the mall.

Great trip. Thanks for sharing.

I was surprised the first time I visited Old Rhinebeck how much the visitor experience felt like a "down-home" activity. The vintage planes and aerial displays are great. And, if you're old enough to remember the "Little Rascals" series, the visitor facilities look like Alfalfa and Darla had decided the day before "Let's put on a show". Benches of planks across stumps and blocks. Rope barriers to keep people out of the show area. Really makes for a cozy, fun day.

The problem with the downtown building was that they cut corners on the construction of the building and the thing was literally coming apart. They also wanted to revamp things that they wanted different from when this place was put into operation in 1976. Hell, if you were an associate, you could park under the building on the weekends and enter through the missile pit. That's been gone for a good long time. The entire lower level, a warren of space reclaimed from the garage, etc... which housed the education department, the medical offices, etc... was redesigned as a giant gift shop. This wasn't just a "gallery" rework. Yeah, it sucks that much of it is closed, but you'll just have to wait.

I have several items on my aviation bucket list and checked off two of 'em last week. Early Saturday morning my son Alex and I flew commercial from Atlanta to Newark NJ and picked up a rental car which got us the 100 or so miles North to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. We were there by 12:30 or so, and had plenty of time to walk the airfield prior to the show. It was a beautiful fall day, with blue skies and leaves just beginning to change. For the afternoon (~2:30-4:00) airshow, we located ourselves on a bench near the center of the action and watched various Golden Age and prior aircraft and replicas do their thing. The oldest airplane they flew that day was a 1909 (?) Curtiss pusher. There were mock dogfights (Fokker triplane vs Bristol F.2B), a toilet paper cutting contest, and a demo flight by a replica Fokker D.VIII (the parasol monoplane fighter), complete with a rotary engine. After the show, we browsed through the 4 museum buildings where they have a collection of (pretty motley) vintage aircraft from the teens and twenties. To cap our day, we took the afternoon's final flight on Rhinebeck's New Standard biplane. Lots of fun, and a beautiful early evening to fly over the Hudson Valley.

I'd left Sunday open just in case we got weathered out on Saturday, so we had an open day. We spent that time well. First, we made our way down to the USMA at West Point. There, we took an hour and a half bus tour that hit the highlights of the campus - the drill field, the chapel, and some of the Revolutionary War history of the site. We also toured the museum, although some areas were closed. After that we drove about 5 miles South and hiked Bear mountain, which along the Appalachian trail. The segment we hiked was up the highest hill (mountain?) in the area and was (my estimate) 2 miles up and the same distance down. The challenge of the trail was its incline. There are approximately 1300 granite steps that make up a big portion of the trail. 1300 up. 1300 down. I got winded a couple of times on the way up. Surprisingly I wasn't sore the next day. The views from the top of the mountain were great - you could look up and down the Hudson Valley. The day was clear enough we could make out the skyline of NYC, which is about 50 miles south.

Monday was a travel day. We dropped the rental car back at the Newark airport and took Amtrak from there to DC, arriving on a drizzly afternoon. That weather persisted for the balance of our stay in Washington.

On Tuesday, we took the Metro subway and a bus to the Udvar-Hazy center near Dulles. That was about an hour and a half trip. The museum was awesome. I was amazed at all of the displays and how well the aircraft and artifacts were displayed. Enola Gay, SR-71, Shuttle, an array of sole survivor (or close) WWII Axis aircraft, plus plenty of US military and civilian hardware. There is a viewing area where you can overlook the restoration shop. Currently in the shop are: Me-109, B-26 Flak Bait, Douglas SBD, Japanese Ohka, Russian Sturmovik, and probably a couple of others. One of the interesting exhibits was the disassembled B-17 - Shoo-Shoo-Baby. Its fuselage was parked adjacent to the modern military jets, with the closest being an FA-18A. Amazing that a modern fighter jet is about 90% as big as the B-17, which I think of as a large airplane. I'd go back to Udvar Hazy in a heartbeat.

Wednesday we went to the downtown NASM. I know they have been revamping the museum, but I struggle with their process. Currently over 50% of the museum is closed for renovation. I get that you have to update things, but why not update a gallery or two at a time, not the whole thing at once? I picked up on a couple of exhibits where the information wasn't quite correct and a couple of spelling errors too. Kind of surprising. Also, it was obvious that they are trying to put something of a spin on the demographic makeup of the pilot and astronaut ranks. Despite those things, it was a worthwhile stop. I need to go back to the NASM/mall location when it is complete. I've been there 3 times and my batting average is terrible. One time it was closed for the full remodel, once (only) the lobby was open, and last week about 40% of the space was open.

After finishing our NASM visit, we dropped by the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and the other very important/historic documents on display. That was a good way to spend an hour or so and was something which should create a memory and context for Alex.

That evening, we caught the Metro to Reagan International and flew home.

Anyway, a really good 5 day trip with a lot of aviation and other content. I enjoyed it, Alex enjoyed it, and we got some father/son time.

Note: To ride the Metro in DC, you need a SmarTrip (I'm not certain that's the right name) card you can buy in the entrances to the subway. Fares to various locations are listed nearby, so you can load the card with whatever amount of money you expect to spend. If necessary, you can add money to the card later. I found the Metro to be easy to use, clean, and very convenient from our hotel near the mall.
I’m so glad you posted this and I checked POA. I’m in DC now bucket listing. That’s to do the Smithsonian and all the monuments and stuff. Had tickets to do NASM this morning but after reading what you and @flyingron said, we are in an UBER on the way to Udvar-Hazy.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Years ago I took a similar trip to Old Rhinebeck, around the first week of October. Unfortunately after driving 2½ hours from our location in Vermont, a light rain cancelled flight activities for the day.

Still, it was fun just being there. The collection was indeed looking tired and a bit disjointed, but being able to see so many primitive aircraft in one afternoon was special.

I personally like the way Rhinebeck is set up. Feels like you’re poking around a hangar at an old airport and discovering treasures!
Would love to make that place my retirement job but 1000 miles is a bit much of a commute.

We got to do a VIP tour of NASM downtown location with my agency. The curator leading our tour said that this was the best option with the other being fully closing the museum for a number of years.

The museum was quickly built and they tried to incorporate early green architecture that was later found to be doing more harm then good. The stonework on the outside was literally peeling away from the underlying structure and threatening to collapse. The sunroof ceilings were leaking, provided horrible climate control, and was actively destroying artifacts. They also discovered that the steel structure wasn’t rated for the number of hanging aircraft they had and needed to be reinforced.

The best option would have been to completely tear down the building and rebuild it. The newly reopen sections have most of the sunroofs removed with the remaining sections covered with awnings. The Wright Flyer is now on the floor in a climate controlled mostly dark gallery.

The most impressive artifact is Neil’s Moon Suit. It’s in its own climate controlled glass structure.

If you can get a few people together, you can do a docent tour of the Udvar Hazy. I did it with a group of pilot friends October last year.

The docent told us the tour was 45 minutes, but we were free to keep him as long as we wanted. We started at 10AM and finished after 4PM. :D

Check out the Museum of Natural History. Some very interesting displays, especially the gem displays.
I always loved the piston engine / turbomachinery section of American History.

Yes. Growing up outside of DC I got spoiled by the Smithsonian and other DC museums. It was a shock to me that museums weren't always free when I moved elsewhere. I used to be a regular hangout at the Museum of History and Technology (now American History). It was my favorite thing to do on days I didn't have school to ride in with my father (who worked at 17th and L, a quick walk to the mall) and hang out at the museums or the Capitol building complex all day.

I used to go to the Air and Space exhibits when they were spread between the Arts and Industries building and a Quonset hut next door. I was an early visitor when the new building got put up in 1976. Got to see the Shuttle and the SR-71 in their temporary locations at Dulles before Hazy was built and visit a bunch of stuff at Silver Hill (Garber). Of course, Margy was on staff at Hazy when than opened, so I got in before that even opened. I helped move a bunch of non-exhibit stuff from downtown out to Hazy. Also got to run the video projector in the IMAX theater there (one of the view volunteers that the guy who ran the place would trust).

The American History Museum has the original Star Spangled Banner from Baltimore on display. The GF wanted to see the First Lady exhibit there and we discovered the flag which made the visit for me (after the “Fashion Show”).

The "Star Spangled Banner" has been there since the museum opened. It was taken away in the late 70s to be redone and was put back with the cover over it because it was accumulating a lot of detritus from being exposed all the time. I guess I just got used to it and the pendulum (unfortunately, gone now I believe) always being there.

The "Star Spangled Banner" has been there since the museum opened. It was taken away in the late 70s to be redone and was put back with the cover over it because it was accumulating a lot of detritus from being exposed all the time. I guess I just got used to it and the pendulum (unfortunately, gone now I believe) always being there.
I remember the pendulum but I believe it’s long gone. Took up two floors or more IIRC.

I remember the pendulum but I believe it’s long gone. Took up two floors or more IIRC.
Yes. It used two of the three floors. The stupid thing is people believed it kept swinging based on the rotation of the earth. That caused the thing to swing in a particular apparent direction. The force to make it keep swinging was an electromagnet under the floor in the center of the display.

If you can get a few people together, you can do a docent tour of the Udvar Hazy. I did it with a group of pilot friends October last year.

The docent told us the tour was 45 minutes, but we were free to keep him as long as we wanted. We started at 10AM and finished after 4PM. :D
They offered docent tours (free) every hour when we were there. We started one but I was disappointed in the docent’s knowledge and we broke off after a few minutes.

Yes. It (the pendulum) used two of the three floors. The stupid thing is people believed it kept swinging based on the rotation of the earth. That caused the thing to swing in a particular apparent direction. The force to make it keep swinging was an electromagnet under the floor in the center of the display.
Funny, when I was there almost 50 years ago, we were told that the rotation of the earth was what powered the pendulum. That didn't make sense to me then either...

Back