the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Hey - I’m listening. I’m all ears ….

How’s the yield looking to be this time around?

How’s the yield looking to be this time around?
Probably the best ever. With current prices... not quite good enough to be profitable. So it's a weird situation where I'm disappointed with the best yields I've ever had.

With the timely rains we had all summer, I thought we'd be in the 240 range, but it's looking more like 220-230. Break even occurs somewhere around 230-235.

Somethings you can control, somethings you can’t……….

Do you ever hedge a bit with some futures?

Somethings you can control, somethings you can’t……….

Do you ever hedge a bit with some futures?
In this business there's more of the latter .

Yes, most years I try to have 80% of the crop sold before harvest, but this year prices were below break even pretty much all year. I think the bottom is in though and there should be some improvement, but it will mean paying storage to the elevator.

I was flying X Country yesterday and ATC told me to use an Arrival, but enter at a fix that was not one of the published entry points. ATC spelled it out, I spelled it back to confirm. I couldn’t find it. Repeat and rinse. I said I still couldn’t find it. He said just continue direct instead.

After landing I later dug deeper into the Arrival plate and found a fix that almost matched / was close to what the controller spelled out.

Between hand flying and reading the plate at the same time I just didn’t see the similarity in the air.

Last edited:
Probably the best ever. With current prices... not quite good enough to be profitable. So it's a weird situation where I'm disappointed with the best yields I've ever had.
No farmer here would consider that situation to be weird. Consider yourself lucky! :)

In other news, I am now night current in everything I'm rated to fly. So it's definitely fall. In late June, 'night' for currency means 10:56 p.m. to 4:55 a.m. and I just don't fly much during those hours. In late December, it gets to be 6:04 p.m. to 7:40 a.m., so lack of currency can really cramp my style.

No farmer here would consider that situation to be weird. Consider yourself lucky! :)

In other news, I am now night current in everything I'm rated to fly. So it's definitely fall. In late June, 'night' for currency means 10:56 p.m. to 4:55 a.m. and I just don't fly much during those hours. In late December, it gets to be 6:04 p.m. to 7:40 a.m., so lack of currency can really cramp my style.

invariably, I would end up getting my night currency in late June or early July. :-/

Maybe it's just me...but I stopped watching the NFL a long time ago, when it seemed like the needle was moving from something like college football to something like professional wrestling with corporate sponsors. Then again, I ramble too much and want to yell at people for being on my lawn.

Football, you say?

Football, you say?
I can't take that one seriously at all. If the players are someone that *I* could knock over, let alone anyone on the second string team from the high school I went to, it just doesn't seem like a contact sport to me. My version of football has..or had... "blocking", where that means a 6'2" 250 lb person running into someone and launching them into the air, without any need for penalty or explanation. Football is a game of strategy, tactics, and violence. Maybe it shouldn't be, but if that's the case let's just decide to retire the sport and let people play more civilized gentlemanly sports like baseball.

Yeah, I know, baseball is supposed to be the American sport. But I think that's just what people want to believe. We're a violent people. Those HS games? Always a doctor on the field, and always an ambulance there just in case. From memory, once or twice a year that would end up out on the field. I don't recall any permanent injuries, and it's just the way things were in the 80's and before.

Big 10 games in the 80's-90's could be a little bit like that. There were a few games where the losing team seemed to shift effort from trying to win to seeing if they could keep the other team from having a functional starting lineup for the next game. Not saying it was a good thing, but it certainly wasn't a polite thing.

Football is a game of strategy, tactics, and violence.

American football is 5 seconds of actual sport, followed by 2 minutes of "analysis", replays of those 5 seconds of movement, and light beer commercials. Boring. Throw in the occasional challenge where teams get out their lawyers to disagree with a call, and you have plenty of time for a nap.

American football is 5 seconds of actual sport, followed by 2 minutes of "analysis", replays of those 5 seconds of movement, and light beer commercials. Boring. Throw in the occasional challenge where teams get out their lawyers to disagree with a call, and you have plenty of time for a nap.
And that describes pro football, which I don't watch. Try watching a D3 game, or high school or even a pee wee game. Much more fun.

And that describes pro football, which I don't watch. Try watching a D3 game, or high school or even a pee wee game. Much more fun.
Even D1. I used to not watch any of it; then my youngest played from middle school through high school, college (NAIA school) and even one semi-pro game. I still done care the least bit about pro football, but I did develop an appreciation for college ball.

Not news worthy, but this morning I weighed in at 191. Down from a high of 247.

How did I do it you ask.?? Well, it is just one tiny pill I take once a month.

Ha.....you wish it was that easy.!!

It took dedication, determination, plus major changes in diet and even what I drink. And no wavering, no occasionally sneaking a little bite every now and then. I only walk 2 miles a day but need to get that to at least 3 miles.

And if I am a good boy and stick to my diet and other routines then on Friday I get 2 ounces of sugar free rum mixed in with 8 ounces of fat free, sodium free, carb free, sugar free including no added sugar, caffeine free, protein free but with 2% of my daily recommended value of potassium, lime flavored seltzer water.

yum yum.!!

Congrats! Well done. I decided to stop reading after you said one pill a month and skipped the part about all your hard work.

So…. Where can I get this pill so I can skip hard work? :)

The pills are $10,000 a month. The agony of dieting is only $5,000 a month, so he saved 5,000 imaginary dollars for plane costs.

The true big plus, he has successfully achieved dieting, and has a really good likelihood of keeping it off.

Congratulations

My goal is smaller, and going slower.:(

Not news worthy, but this morning I weighed in at 191. Down from a high of 247.

How did I do it you ask.?? Well, it is just one tiny pill I take once a month.

Ha.....you wish it was that easy.!!

It took dedication, determination, plus major changes in diet and even what I drink. And no wavering, no occasionally sneaking a little bite every now and then. I only walk 2 miles a day but need to get that to at least 3 miles.

And if I am a good boy and stick to my diet and other routines then on Friday I get 2 ounces of sugar free rum mixed in with 8 ounces of fat free, sodium free, carb free, sugar free including no added sugar, caffeine free, protein free but with 2% of my daily recommended value of potassium, lime flavored seltzer water.

yum yum.!!
1 - congratulations! I'm positive that wasn't easy.

2 - I tried several times to read the second to last sentence, but I was trying to build a logical model of the contents of the drink you were describing, and before I fired up a spreadsheet to explain it to myself I had to give up. That could just be because when I'm parsing a sentence and see the word "free" my brain makes a little Homer Simpson "whohoo" sound and I lose my place, though. Or that if there are too many and/or's I want a flowchart. So I landed on the idea that you're drinking a glass of air.

I lost 6.4 pounds in 2 hours once after my high school wrestling coach forgot to tell me I was dropping to 135. To this day me and scales have an odd relationship. Either not gonna step on it at all. Or be OCD and get on 8 times a day. Not an exaggeration.

How do they do that? Rum is supposed to be fermented and distilled sugarcane.
Unsure, but apparently it is a very expensive process...

Many cheap rums add sugar for flavor.
Nice to know that my rum is not a cheap brand, I mean at almost 3 bucks for a 1.75 liter bottle...

It is also nearly carb free, which also proves to be a very expensive process...

Unsure, but apparently it is a very expensive process...

Nice to know that my rum is not a cheap brand, I mean at almost 3 bucks for a 1.75 liter bottle...

It is also nearly carb free, which also proves to be a very expensive process...
If you ever visit North Dakota, make sure to try my dairy-free eggnog. The recipe is far too complicated to share online, but you start with a glass of bourbon, neat, and then drink it.

Fun Fact 1 - I have my phone linked to the audio panel so I can call for clearance at untowered airports.
Fun Fact 2 - I, being the humble and perfect example of an exemplary citizen, am subscribed to the Amber Alert system. It blares out a warning at the highest volume possible.
Fun Fact 3 - When flying an approach and talking to ATC, getting somewhat important information about cleared for approach, other traffic, etc., AND since I'm that low I also get cell coverage,.......

Yeah, just a bit "distracting". Got to remember where that "Mute" button is on the audio panel.

Rum is made from sugar cane. However, it should not contain sugar in the end product. Same thing with gluten free vodka. Marketing hogwash.

Fun Fact 1 - I have my phone linked to the audio panel so I can call for clearance at untowered airports.
Fun Fact 2 - I, being the humble and perfect example of an exemplary citizen, am subscribed to the Amber Alert system. It blares out a warning at the highest volume possible.
Fun Fact 3 - When flying an approach and talking to ATC, getting somewhat important information about cleared for approach, other traffic, etc., AND since I'm that low I also get cell coverage,.......

Yeah, just a bit "distracting". Got to remember where that "Mute" button is on the audio panel.
The handheld radio I use in the Cub has a feature where it checks, every one or two seconds, for alert broadcasts on one of the weather band frequencies. That process includes you missing a syllable once every one or two seconds in AWOS and other long transmissions because it silences what you're actually listening to to check the weather band. I didn't know that that's what was going on until, one day, a Silver Alert went out on the weather band alerts and my radio switched over so I could hear all about it. The alert was that a 60-something guy in a city 200 miles from me had walked out of Thanksgiving dinner upset and his family was worried. That was the day I turned off all these alerts on all my devices. They're basically the boy who cried wolf alert system once you start using them to alert a whole state that one guy was grumpy on Thanksgiving.

Back