Self serve fuel pump etiquette

So we have two definitions of first-world: the correct Cold War era three-world definition; and the later woke postmodern definition. I will stick with the former reject the latter.

Thanks for the explanation.

So we have two definitions of first-world: the correct Cold War era three-world definition; and the later woke postmodern definition. I will stick with the former reject the latter.

It might be more accurate to say "the original Cold War..." After all, languages evolve, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

Of course, it could be argued that current use (i.e., woke postmodern definition use) is simply incorrect. Often times people throw labels around incorrectly. One of the more egregious examples today is when people label others as xenophobic.

And yet you use a very recent definition of “woke.”

Words and phrases evolve over time. I see no more reason to stick with the 1960s definition of 1st world than you see to stick with the early 2000s definition of woke.

And yet you use a very recent definition of “woke.”

Words and phrases evolve over time. I see no more reason to stick with the 1960s definition of 1st world than you see to stick with the early 2000s definition of woke.
Someone recently referred to Barnstormers as “woke” because they deleted the seller’s phone numbers from the ads and you can only contact them via a link.

We live in a time in which the elements of language are increasingly deconstructed, repurposed, and repackaged for political and ideological ends.
If you think this is a modern thing, or increasing in any meaningful way, you need to read more history. There is a reason it's super challenging to read books from only 500 years ago, and it isn't because language only started becoming deconstructed, repurposed, and repackaged for political and ideological ends in the past handful of decades.

If you think this is a modern thing, or increasing in any meaningful way, you need to read more history. There is a reason it's super challenging to read books from only 500 years ago, and it isn't because language only started becoming deconstructed, repurposed, and repackaged for political and ideological ends in the past handful of decades.
Or because of technological changes causing words to be used within new concepts.

We live in a time in which the elements of language are increasingly deconstructed, repurposed, and repackaged for political and ideological ends. First and third-world are good examples.

First-world, properly understood, is a geopolitical term that referred to NATO allies during the Cold War. Second-world referred to Warsaw Pact allies, and third-world referred to everyone else. With the dissolution of the USSR in 1991, this three-world model became obsolete. The term first-world was abandoned and left to rust away in the basements of political science buildings for a few years, until the postmodernists discovered it. They quickly appropriated and redefined first-world to refer to wealthy, powerful, industrialized nations, while third-world was redefined to mean poor, unstable, underdeveloped countries.
I would say that this new meaning is still well within the spirit of the cold war meaning... And I've never heard it used as you said after this quoted portion except for to say things like "parts of Detroit are like a third world country" or somesuch.

I've been flying for over 50 years. There have always been jerks.
I think it is more often people who are oblivious, rather than jerks. We've put incredible safety features on almost everything you can name, so oblivious people aren't even motivated to pay attention to their surroundings these days...

Question for the brain trust:

Is self serve fuel pump etiquette "woke"? :devil:

Only if you fall asleep waiting your turn. Then you may be woke up.

Funny story: I pulled up behind a fellow who was fueling, he had his daughter or his mistress with him, hard to say. Anyway he finishes up and fails to shut the pump off which could have meant I could have filled up on his dime. I didn’t, finished up, pulled the plane away and went into the FBO where I found the fellow. I said, “You didn’t shut the pump off, I could have filled up on your credit card!” Well, he had a strong English accent and she didn’t so I suspect she was his mistress, hats off. He says, “I was in a hurry! there was a bloke behind me!” Yeah, that was me. But next time shut the pump down, not everyone is honest.

Funny story: I pulled up behind a fellow who was fueling, he had his daughter or his mistress with him, hard to say. Anyway he finishes up and fails to shut the pump off which could have meant I could have filled up on his dime. I didn’t, finished up, pulled the plane away and went into the FBO where I found the fellow. I said, “You didn’t shut the pump off, I could have filled up on your credit card!” Well, he had a strong English accent and she didn’t so I suspect she was his mistress, hats off. He says, “I was in a hurry! there was a bloke behind me!” Yeah, that was me. But next time shut the pump down, not everyone is honest.

and when departing the FBO, you should have muttered to yourself something like "didn't know that airplane* would take 120 gallons**..."

*substituting his particular model

** some figure that would be 50 gallons more than his airplane's total fuel capacity

ok, maybe that would be too much work...

Well, he had a strong English accent and she didn’t so I suspect she was his mistress, hats off.
I know a British couple with very British accents, and their daughter has zero British accent. She was born here, her friends and everyone but her parents is American, so she sounds very American.

Having traveled to a lot of countries (over 150), the difference is pretty obvious when you are there.

Could be worse, you could have been stuck behind a CAP airplane while waiting 30 min for them to do their before start checklist.

Someone at my local self serve pump never re wound the hose or grounding wire.

I had to pee really bad one time when I was coming back, and I parked in front of the fuel pump and dashed inside. When I came back out there was another airplane behind mine. I was mortified, and explained what happened. He was cool and helped me push my airplane out of the way when I was done, and I helped him pull his up.

"You don't know what that word means because you don't know what it means in my head, which is a meaning different from the commonly understood meaning," sure is a take.
That’s pretty much a description of the world we live in now.

Back