RV-12 Fatal Crash - Control Failure 6/6 Auburn, WA

flyingron

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingRon
That sucks.
Any idea what kind of control failure in an RV-12 would give them enough time to make radio calls but still result in the complete loss of control like that? Flaps deploying asymmetrically?

That sucks.
Any idea what kind of control failure in an RV-12 would give them enough time to make radio calls but still result in the complete loss of control like that? Flaps deploying asymmetrically?
The aileron system on an RV-12 is different from most GA aircraft. It's configured to allow the wings to be removed without having to disconnect aileron pushrods or cables. IIRC, the reconnect is simple and foolproof.

The 12 has considerable experience with this system, and similar setups have been used by sailplanes.

There is currently no evidence the system had ANYTHING to do with this accident. I only mention this in connection with AV8R's question.

I'm out of state right now, with no access to my Light Sport or EAB accident databases. But I don't recall seeing any similar accidents involving RV-12s.

Ron Wanttaja

Very sorry to read. I don't know anything about RVs, but I will say it could be anything. I had a winter glove fall and jam the rudder pedals on climb from takeoff once, that will wake you right up. From the sound of it, the pilot didn't have much time to diagnose and fix or workaround whatever it was.

Does it have the same AP?

The aileron system on an RV-12 is different from most GA aircraft. It's configured to allow the wings to be removed without having to disconnect aileron pushrods or cables. IIRC, the reconnect is simple and foolproof.

The 12 has considerable experience with this system, and similar setups have been used by sailplanes.

There is currently no evidence the system had ANYTHING to do with this accident. I only mention this in connection with AV8R's question.

I'm out of state right now, with no access to my Light Sport or EAB accident databases. But I don't recall seeing any similar accidents involving RV-12s.

Ron Wanttaja
Plus the ailerons are flaperons, happened on base turn, just speculating but if flaps were added it might have made the ailerons totally unbalanced. rIp.

We’re all saddened to hear of this type of death.
Doubly so on hearing he was your friend, Ron.

Back