Pilot threatened with arrest for helping NC victims of Hurricane Helene...excuse me?

I've got great stories from the evacuation of Children's Hospital, N.O., in the aftermath of Katrina. My good friend, in charge of the operation on the hospital side, said FEMA was a total incompetent clown show.

No good deed goes unpunished. Perfect example of "We're from the gov't and we're here to help"
If one’s going-in assumption is the government is incompetent (at any level and in any “color” state/region, by the way), that’s what one will see.

Similarly, if one’s going-in assumption is that all PoA members are douche-nozzles, that’s also what one will see.

We should be careful with assumptions of all types.

Last edited:
If one

If one’s going-in assumption is the government is incompetent (at any level and in any “color” state/region, by the way), that’s what one will see.

Similarly, if one’s going-in assumption is that all PoA members are douche-nozzles, that’s also what one will see.

We should be careful with assumptions of all types.
Sometimes the shoe fits.

I've got great stories from the evacuation of Children's Hospital, N.O., in the aftermath of Katrina. My good friend, in charge of the operation on the hospital side, said FEMA was a total incompetent clown show.
Exactly what I heard too, so for the news today at the gym to say the NC governor is applauding that the federal government is doing a great job, I highly doubt that.

Bias Note: I used to be a federal government employee.

My nephew does guide trips and hunting and has several boats and flat boats in south Texas. After the Houston hurricane a few years ago, they traveled at their own expense with equipment to assist. They were bringing out more people than FEMA ... a local LEO told them to stop. My nephew could hear someone screaming for help from a roof top, but they were told they'd be arrested if they went in again:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I wonder if the red circle you can see on his tablet around 1:09 is a TFR he was supposed to stay out of. If so, I’d hope most pilots on here would have a different take on this…

I would like to hear the fire chiefs side of the story.

I wonder if the red circle you can see on his tablet around 1:09 is a TFR he was supposed to stay out of. If so, I’d hope most pilots on here would have a different take on this…
They are looking at the area for the news story after-the-fact. TFR may not have been in place at the time of his efforts.

I have a slight (read HUGE) problem with authority… and still woulda.

But ABSOLUTELY do not fault the guy. And for ANY reason he chooses. I don’t wish the problems I’ve had being the way I am on anyone. Ha!

Exactly what I heard too, so for the news today at the gym to say the NC governor is applauding that the federal government is doing a great job, I highly doubt that.

Bias Note: I used to be a federal government employee.
Katrina was almost 20 years ago, so I wouldn't make assumptions based on that

Friend of mine lives at the extreme western tip of North Carolina, the hurricane passed by just 30 miles from him (fortunately, he was on the "clean" side where the winds were less...also his home in Tampa came through as well).

He says a major part of the problem is that the local infrastructure just wasn't in place to handle major events like this. He says it'll be weeks before the death toll is truly known.

Ron Wanttaja

I’d be curious how many on-scene commanders dealing with a helicopter pilot they’ve never met and about whom they have no idea of their actual qualifications, including actual helicopter rescue training, would have handled this differently for a non-emergency situation.

The pilot landing with a rescued person was beyond his control and warranted an atta-boy for the pilot. But then the chief gained accountability, and not of his choosing. Had he approved the flight and something tragic happened, it sure seems like his decision would have put himself and his department/community on the hook legally.

First Reaponders have a very tough job, especially leaders in highly complex situations. I’m not at all comfortable generically trashing them as “government employees” when we don’t have the details and when we don’t understand the risks they need to manage. His decision seemed very reasonable to me. The one “fault” may to not have put up a TFR sooner, apparently (from what’s described).

Yeah, OK - the guy’s kid was back there. Did the kid really need to be on the adventure at all? I don’t think so, personally.

Well, yeah, not a surprising outcome. His mistake was trying to coordinate with authorities instead of just rescuing a few people and calling it a day...

Yeah, OK - the guy’s kid was back there. Did the kid really need to be on the adventure at all? I don’t think so, personally.
When you are operating a helicopter around people who have never been around them, having a second set of experienced eyes and hands makes a difference keeping people away from the dangerous spinning things.

Youtube celebrity Cleetus McFarland had his wife riding shotgun in his Hughes 500 clearing the tail rotor into some tricky confined areas.

There are organized operations. There are calls out at the airports here in central here for the supplies needed and pilots moving from those collection points to the places needed. There's a far cry from loading up your plane with stuff you "think" are needed and flying to some place you "think" will need them rather than asking those working on the problem how you can help.

When you are operating a helicopter around people who have never been around them, having a second set of experienced eyes and hands makes a difference keeping people away from the dangerous spinning things.

Youtube celebrity Cleetus McFarland had his wife riding shotgun in his Hughes 500 clearing the tail rotor into some tricky confined areas.
Not to mention having a second set of eyes to look for obstructions in an unfamiliar area, as well as looking for people in distress. I don't see a thing wrong with it.

There are organized operations. There are calls out at the airports here in central here for the supplies needed and pilots moving from those collection points to the places needed. There's a far cry from loading up your plane with stuff you "think" are needed and flying to some place you "think" will need them rather than asking those working on the problem how you can help.
After Harvey, I loaded up my plane with supplies and headed down to a small town near the Gulf that was cut off by flooding. They were grateful.

Back