Pet Peeves

If it's 5:30am and we're in the van to the airport, I'm not ready to do anything except sip my coffee and stare out the window as my body slowly wakes itself up. I don't want to hear about how you traded some trip for an extra three hours of pay. I don't want to hear about your *%^&ing cats. I don't want to hear about what the airline was like when you were hired into the DC-3. There's a reason everyone else in the van is dead silent. My FO is about to open the van door and toss himself onto the interstate to end the pain. Holy crap - please please PLEASE shut the **** up!

Sigh...is FedEx hiring? ;)

Oh I remember those days! I'm the same as you, STFU! Fortunately smart phones keep 'em occupied most of the time now. Don't miss those days!

You should have told me earlier. I needed a break. >1200 hours in one year was a lot for me!
Still no students. Trying hard to get a full-time job somewhere. I can't do this full-time CFI thing again. I am about bankrupt.

David

I really like the new forum software, but it does have on annoying feature. For some reason I seem to be accidentally clicking on the wrong forum when I post a reply.

I just turned @SixPapaCharlie's Bravo thread into another Pet Peeves thread.
Oh I thought you were just making a please delete problem solved sequel thread

So this is what I have to look forward to?!

Haha! You'll be having so much fun, I don't think you'll even notice. I'm just getting ornery in my advancing age. ;)

Initial call up, upon frequency change. What is the rush??
Just wait a bit! In fact, if they really want you, they will ask for you!
Have a sip of water! Ponder the clouds! Take another drag on your stogie! But for gawd's sake, don't trample the ongoing conversation!

Initial call up, upon frequency change. What is the rush??
Just wait a bit! In fact, if they really want you, they will ask for you!
Have a sip of water! Ponder the clouds! Take another drag on your stogie! But for gawd's sake, don't trample the ongoing conversation!

Definitely agree. My CFI stopped me the first time I tried that.

I've been on the ground waiting for a free moment to get my clearance/taxi and the interruptions make me wince. Especially at my airport when clearance (combined with ground) reads a lengthy route and before the pilot can read back you get "Uh..N1234W, like to..uh..leave, depart the pattern, 2000"...etc.

A Pet Peeve of mine that I do to myself is use the term "we" for every checkin, even though I'm usually the only one in the plane.

"We have information Mike"
"We'll expect runway 32"
etc...I hear myself doing it and it drives me crazy.

Okay. When you're in the fast food line, please let me complete my sentence before you blurt something out. Because I get confused. And I confuse easily.

If it's 5:30am and we're in the van to the airport, I'm not ready to do anything except sip my coffee and stare out the window as my body slowly wakes itself up. I don't want to hear about how you traded some trip for an extra three hours of pay. I don't want to hear about your *%^&ing cats. I don't want to hear about what the airline was like when you were hired into the DC-3. There's a reason everyone else in the van is dead silent. My FO is about to open the van door and toss himself onto the interstate to end the pain. Holy crap - please please PLEASE shut the **** up!

Sigh...is FedEx hiring? ;)

What's better is arriving to the gate at 4:30am with 45 to go and not finding a living soul with the plane a football field away.

Me: "Um, were the F is the agent???"

15 mins ago by....... Agent waddles slowly up to the gate.... 30 to go

Agent: "Good morning, are you the crew for this flight?"

Capt: Looks both ways to find no one else for miles, "Yes".

Me: Trying not to sound annoyed, "Can we have the plane pulled to the gate and hooked to ground power".

Agent: "Oh I'm sorry, our GPU is broken and we are expecting an inbound flight to use this gate"

5 mins has gone by during this useless conversation and we hit the 25 min auto board mark.

Agent: "May I start boarding, I don't want to be late getting y'all out" ...........

We're still staring at the agent with a dark cold soaked plane in the background.

Just kill me now.

People who call a yaw damper a yaw dampner

Well, that annoys me since there's no such word as "dampner." There is "dampener" which while isn't the historically used term, isn't etymologically incorrect.

I don't understand. What is "delicious smelling?" Are you saying he/she smelled like bacon?

Yeah, some adjectives just don't go well together with certain nouns. Never could get used to "looks (or smells) amazing."

Autospell - Krispy Kreme became "Crispy Cremated"...gotta be careful with the smart phones folks.

Once upon a time, a colleague of mine became annoyed with another colleague of ours. Well, to be honest about it, nearly everyone in our development group became annoyed with this rather annoying individual. We were all working 60 hour weeks designing state-of-the-art software that would knock your socks off. Hours of white-board time with ideas thrown out and then just as quickly thrown away. Except the aforementioned jerk. He just sat there and wrote everything down. OK. Good idea. We all approved. But then he started sending memos to the big office. With his full name prominently displayed on everything that we had done, were doing, or were thinking of doing. Only his name, not any other name. Lets just call him 'Daniel J. Einstein, III' for the moment.

This was a long time ago, just shortly after stone tablets had been superseded by microcomputers with about 786 K RAM and that took hours to compile "Hello, World" variants. I'm not kidding. Have you ever heard of a '286 or a 386 or a 486 or even a Pentium. Well, we were developing on a 186. We were all so thrilled when we got our 186s because they had 10MB hard drives instead of 8 inch floppy drives. Anyway, I digress.

After development started, Daniel J Einstein, III sent memos to the big office every day, taking credit for any and all achievements made by our department. He spent hours on these memos, which meant that he actually contributed almost no concrete code. At first my annoyed colleague decided to fix Einstein by reprogramming his monitor display so that everything was printed in reverse. That is, all the words lined up on the right side and marched across the screen toward the left, but they were also printed backward as seen in a mirror. You could hear Einstein howl throughout the offices one afternoon when he finally booted up his computer and saw that it was 'broken.' The culprit volunteered to 'try' to trouble-shoot and get it running correctly. Which took about two minutes. Of course, Einstein took credit for fixing the problem.

Finally, my colleague came up with the perfect solution. Every time that the jerk typed 'Daniel J Einstein, III' on his computer, it was replaced with my colleague's opinion of Einstein's equine parentage. Automatically. It didn't matter how he typed it, once the full name was on the screen it would be replaced with an appropriate substitution. Over time, my friend added several variations on the Einstein name, permanently ending the self-aggrandizement.

In the end, my friend found that he had invented something that could be useful to himself and to others in automatically correcting misspelled words. He published a snippet as freeware and some years later, he was contacted by Microsoft to see whether he wanted to license the idea. He gave it to them at no charge. And you know the rest of the story....

As far as I know, my colleague is still living.

Autospell - Krispy Kreme became "Crispy Cremated"...gotta be careful with the smart phones folks.

Just describing what is next after you eat that junk.

We were all working 60 hour weeks designing state-of-the-art software that would knock your socks off.

Ooh new pet peeve: Lack of longevity in software usefulness / Software re-writes / Forced upgrades / Rental software.

Just describing what is next after you eat that junk.

Ooh new pet peeve: Lack of longevity in software usefulness / Software re-writes / Forced upgrades / Rental software.

That. Here, "subscription based" is an automatic reject.

Public toilets that have itsy bitsy faucet sets mounted to the lav. They're so small that you can't wash your hands without them rubbing against the back wall of the lavatory bowl....

...which defeats the entire purpose.

"I would like a double ch..."
"Would you like that in a combo?"
"Um, no... anyway I would like a double ch..."
"Everything on it?"
"Um, yeah, um, no I want it let...."
"Can I get you anything else?"

I really hate it when I get cut off in the middle of my food order. LET ME FINISH MY SENTENCE FIRST. It's aggravating. And there is one national burger chain that is really bad at it, in particular.

It happened again last night. I'll be mowing or trimming along the sidewalk and someone, usually a young mom with a baby or group of children, will continue to walk toward where I am working even though they have ample opportunity to cross the street to the other sidewalk. I'm talking slow residential neighborhoods where people are just out for a walk. If I am hot or tired or just feeling ornery sometimes I will keep spewing grass and debris, forcing them to do he right thing.

Last night was a mom about 22 or so with a baby and two toddlers. I've got the trimmer going full throttle and see them keep walking toward the debris flying. I stopped while they meandered by. and again on their return pass. I was fuming inside. But she was wearing Daisey Dukes so smiling on the outside.

It happened again last night. I'll be mowing or trimming along the sidewalk and someone, usually a young mom with a baby or group of children, will continue to walk toward where I am working even though they have ample opportunity to cross the street to the other sidewalk. I'm talking slow residential neighborhoods where people are just out for a walk. If I am hot or tired or just feeling ornery sometimes I will keep spewing grass and debris, forcing them to do he right thing.

Last night was a mom about 22 or so with a baby and two toddlers. I've got the trimmer going full throttle and see them keep walking toward the debris flying. I stopped while they meandered by. and again on their return pass. I was fuming inside. But she was wearing Daisey Dukes so smiling on the outside.
That seems like a really strange attitude on your part.

I walk a lot, daily in fact, and when I see the lawn service guys working a yard, I get out into the street or move to the other side. So I can understand his POV a little.

I walk a lot, daily in fact, and when I see the lawn service guys working a yard, I get out into the street or move to the other side. So I can understand his POV a little.

Well yes, I do too, but not for their convenience. Most lawn service guys I have seen just want to cut the grass quickly and be gone. Never mind that there is something like a brand new car sitting in the driveway that they cover with grass clippings or something like a gas meter in the way. Time is money and to heck with anything that is in the way.

Well yes, I do too, but not for their convenience. Most lawn service guys I have seen just want to cut the grass quickly and be gone. Never mind that there is something like a brand new car sitting in the driveway that they cover with grass clippings or something like a gas meter in the way. Time is money and to heck with anything that is in the way.

I fired my lawn crew and I noticed they still mowed this week.
They are the George Costanza of landscapers I guess.

You're right that we have to move as quickly as possible. And we have all seen bad crews do stupid things, like shoot grass on cars, into the street onto house siding, tear up vinyl siding with the trimmer line, dig ruts when the turf is soft, etc. It's hard work and we're hot and drenched and when common sense fails people and it slows US down, well, sometimes we'll vent in the pet peeves thread.

What is this "lawn" thing of which you speak?

Green stuff you see out there on golf courses. Other locales use that green stuff for lawns and spend ridulous amounts of $$$to make it green.

Pet Peeve #1: When you are in the middle a TV show, particularly one you are really into, and when they go to commercial break, they'll say "coming up on (insert title)", then proceed to show you how the show turns out in a preview.

Pet Peeve #2: When a local TV station holds out on Dish Network for more money, when they have always, and still do, broadcast over the air for free, then pulling their programming from Dish during the Olympics, forcing everyone to either go buy an antenna, or watch online using a friend's login who uses a different provider.

Pet Peeve #3: When watching the Olympics online (because of the above pet peeve), the headlines for the day's competition are right on the home screen, before you can get to the stream of the events, thus removing all the excitement of watching the competition. This is up there with someone blurting out the score of a big ballgame, when they know you haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Back