Logging King Air Time

Not what I’m saying. I’m still sitting right seat and working radios and being actively involved in the flight, I’m just not designated at “PIC” for that leg. I’m still flying regardless so it seems it should count toward total time.
You were not designated as PIC for any part of the flight.

You were sole manipulator of the controls, for a portion of the flight, and, since you are MEL rated, you can log that sole-manipulator time as PIC per 14 CFR 61.51.

You can log flight time when 14 CFR 61.51 says you can log flight time. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are no provisions in the regulation for logging time when working the radios or being actively involved in the flight.

It seems silly to me (although I understand legality) that you can even log the 2.5 as PIC. You can log it that way, but make no mistake… you were not the pilot in command.

ONE MORE TIME.

Logging PIC and being PIC have nothing to do with each other. Two different rules.

You were pointing out he was not PIC. Which has nothing to do with the logging of the time.

Whether you agree with it or not.
A couple of times he said he was PIC. I was just pointing out that he was not.

I’ll just point out that there are King Air 200s that require a type rating.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but that was only for military guys where the MGW was more than 12.5..??

Not really a civilian pilot concern.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that was only for military guys where the MGW was more than 12.5..??

There is both an STC you can get for the 200 that increases the MTOW into type rating territory, and some (or all?) new build 200's have a MTOW above 12.5.

A passenger manipulating the controls can log PIC if he is rated in the aircraft. That’s what the reg says.

Devils advocate here: what if the PPL were multi? The King Airs I’m familiar with are not over 12,000 pounds, thus no type rating is required. I think that would be a legal log entry, for the stick wiggling time I mean.

That’s not what I understand. In the civilian world, when the aircraft is under 12,000, maybe 12,500, no type rating is required.

There is both an STC you can get for the 200 that increases the MTOW into type rating territory, and some (or all?) new build 200's have a MTOW above 12.5.

The latest model of the 200, the 260, still has a MGTOW of 12,500. There is an "EP" model of that airplane available from the manufacturer that raises the max gross about 1000 pounds (and therefore requires a type rating). I'm not sure how many of those are made compared to the normal 260.

Devils advocate here: what if the PPL were multi? The King Airs I’m familiar with are not over 12,000 pounds, thus no type rating is required. I think that would be a legal log entry, for the stick wiggling time I mean.
No "devil's advocate" required...that's been the position of most of us since the first post, because that's what the reg says.

Back