Life Insurance

hopmedic

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rich
I'm about to start Sport Pilot training. I've been on a wait list for a year now, and got the text this morning that it's my turn. That said, my employer life insurance explicitly excludes anything that might happen while in an aircraft that isn't a scheduled carrier (or worded something like that). I need to find affordable insurance for a 56 year old who had a couple of stents put in a while back, and looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

I got a term life policy (not through my employer) that does not have an aviation exclusion.

I have one through Banner/Legal & General without the exclusion.

But I got it when I was early 40's and zero diagnosed/discovered conditions at the time.

I have two term policies through PIC life with no exclusions.

I have a number of life insurance policies. All taken out before I started flying. Do not believe they have exclusions, but it may be cold of me, it's probably not going to affect me as I will be dead if the policies need to pay. Even without reasons insurance companies find ways not to pay.

As for affordable, insurance and affordable are an oxymoron, especially with 56 years old and heart disease. Good luck.

I have my life insurance through USAA and it doesn't have an aviation exclusion. If you're a USAA member, you might want to check and see if this is an option for you.

Thanks, Y'all. Interesting - I hadn't thought of USAA, but will check that, as well as the others mentioned above.

Just a thought here, but look at the ‘no medical’ $50K term policies. Depending on your coverage needs, a few of those may fit the bill if they don’t have an aviation exclusion.

FYI, I recently got a second policy with USAA while I was coming back to flying as a rusty pilot. Since I didn't have a minimum number of hours over some period of time, they are treating me like a student pilot, which requires me to pay an additional premium until I accumulate an additional 50 hours.

I suspect you may see something similar.

I have my life insurance through USAA and it doesn't have an aviation exclusion. If you're a USAA member, you might want to check and see if this is an option for you.
When I had a life insurance policy through USAA, it did exclude aviation up until you got your PP.

Interestingly, it was one of the few policies that did not exclude acts of war. Imagine that. :)

But check you current policy, it may be amended. My USAA Umbrella policy DOES exclude anything aviation related.

I have a term life insurance policy that doesn't have an aviation exclusion. Interestingly, the only exclusion is for suicide, and that's only for the first two years of the policy. :confused:
Maybe that's the difference?

Back when I was in a situation that required life insurance, I got a term policy through PIC Life (which had Addison's local frequency as their music on hold). At the same time, I fired off some quotes to other non-aviation term brokers but PIC came up similarly priced and were very responsive.

I also tried to get a quote from AOPA's preferred provider, but I never got an answer. As is typical, AOPA services are good deals for nobody but AOPA.

Back