Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

I hear you, it has become a literal arms race and danged expensive as a result, but only open sights are allowed. No optics, no magnification allowed on the guns in any of the Olympic shooting events.
I know, I just meant that a basic rifle without all of the silly aids and uniform attachments would be sufficient. Technology improves over time (material composition of skis, pole vaulting, etc.) but the base of the apparatus is still the same. Having a custom-barreled/actioned rifle is fine, but I'd appreciate the sport more if they used a common caliber (like .22LR) and a more traditional stock, that's just my personal take. Make all the improvements you want with carbon fiber barrels or whatever, but leave the goofy glasses and headgear out. I always enjoy the biathlon a lot more, even with diopter sights.

I honestly hate that all of the gear is even allowed.
I just got back from shooting the national smallbore silhouette championships in Ridgway PA. 90+ of the competitors shoot the same rifle (Anschutz + Leupold) and often the same ammo but the results still show who practices and some has talent (and then there's me) :rolleyes:- Still, other than the rifle, you stand on your own two feet and there are no jackects like in traditional smalbore and who doesn't like to watch animal targets fall over?

I just got back from shooting the national smallbore silhouette championships in Ridgway PA. 90+ of the competitors shoot the same rifle (Anschutz + Leupold) and often the same ammo but the results still show who practices and some has talent (and then there's me) :rolleyes:- Still, other than the rifle, you stand on your own two feet and there are no jackects like in traditional smalbore and who doesn't like to watch animal targets fall over?
I still see comments in some long range forums where the new guys come in and ask for the best gun in .300WM or similar. Yeah, go ahead and buy the magnum large caliber rifle with a Leupold or Vortex and try to get good at hitting steel on an 800yd and 1K yd target, lol. The guys who practice and consistently place at competitions know their DOPE and work on their holds and target acquisition.

The Olympic pistol paper-punching is boring to watch. I'd love to see an IPSC-style event get added to the Olympics. It would be exciting to watch and it would also require some athleticism from the competitors.
Watch Biathlon in the winter games. Cross country ski race with a rifle on your back. Stop, shoot at a target and if you miss, take a penalty lap. They have standing and prone stations during the race. Think it's 5 shots at each station. The ability to control your breathing is key.

Watch Biathlon in the winter games. Cross country ski race with a rifle on your back. Stop, shoot at a target and if you miss, take a penalty lap. They have standing and prone stations during the race. Think it's 5 shots at each station. The ability to control your breathing is key.

Yes, I've watched it. The summer games need some sort of equivalent. If we can't have something similar to IPSC, then I'd like to see them combine the shooting and equestrian competitions and do cowboy action shooting.

the not-so-fun part of watching the olympic shooters (especially rifle) is that it looks like a photo - those aliens just don't wobble.

Yes, I've watched it. The summer games need some sort of equivalent. If we can't have something similar to IPSC, then I'd like to see them combine the shooting and equestrian competitions and do cowboy action shooting.
I certainly would not want to be a close observer to that competition.

Oh, it's regularly done with people nearby.

As a kid I saw an old, old western movie where the good guy was galloping along shooting the prickly pear cactus along the trail.

I thought that was pretty cool, so I got my horse, General Lee, and went to do the same thing. I had a .22 six shooter that held 9 rounds. I got on the General and started galloping next to the fence with the idea that I would shoot the top of the fence post as we went by. First target comes up...POW.!!

General Lee instantly disappeared. I glided through the air and 3 1/2 fence post later I hit the ground.

Hmmm... apparently the General did not appreciate a pistol going off next to his ear...

(I should mention that General Lee was a former cattle ranch horse and his specialty was being a cutter, so he could turn on a dime)

The Olympic pistol paper-punching is boring to watch. I'd love to see an IPSC-style event get added to the Olympics. It would be exciting to watch and it would also require some athleticism from the competitors.
Im not familiar with IPSC, but I wouldn’t be opposed to an IDPA style shoot. Guys with regular guns, shoot, get off the X, shoot again.

That would be a nine-shooter. :)

Is it an H&R? Might be the same one I have.
Yeah, but 9 shooter doesn't sound as cool as 6 shooter...

It is a Rough Rider. Without opening the safe I am fairly sure it was made by Heritage, but I am not totally sure.

Yeah, but 9 shooter doesn't sound as cool as 6 shooter...

It is a Rough Rider. Without opening the safe I am fairly sure it was made by Heritage, but I am not totally sure.

Mine is an H&R model “922,” made in 1931 based on the serial number. Great little gun.

We need a moving target event.
Don't overlook Olympic trap and skeet.

The Olympics used to have moving target rifle events. First a running deer event, shot with center-fire rifles on moving paper targets at 100 meters. That took a lot of room, so it was replaced after the 1956 games with a running boar event, also using paper targets, but now representing a boar instead of a deer. This was a 50 meter event, shot with .22 rifles. That lasted until 1988, when it was briefly replaced with an air rifle event shot on round targets at 10 meters.

https://www.ssusa.org/content/what-was-the-olympic-running-target-event/

“Modern pentathlon” category, though they should have never changed from real pistols and I don’t like the switch from steeplechase horse racing part to foot run obstacle course they made this year.
The before they started messing it up it was running, swimming, fencing, shooting, and a horse race over jumps.

I used to joke with a friend who claimed dyslexia for his poor test performances; the excuse was somewhat suspect. When riding in a car with him and approaching an intersection we would exclaim "Philippe...slow down, there's a POTS sign". Needless to say, he wasn't amused.

Sing along, everyone!

Dyslexic Donald had a farm, I-E-O-I-E.
And on that farm he had a woc, I-E-O-I-E.
With an oom oom here and an ooo oom there,
Here an oom, there an oom, everywhere an oom oom.
Dyslexic Donald had a farm, I-E-O-I-E.

2.) It’s Mr Spock, Dr Spock is the baby book guy.

They're not the same guy?? It's a good thing I'm not a parent. I would have wasted a lot of time trying to set tasers on "stun".

Back