It's time to remove the Confederate Flag...

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
...all of them...

...slowly...

:D

rebel-flag-bikini-1.jpg

:goofy:

confedbikini1.jpg

:idea:

1f3e9d2c6ebfea6b1b0a7f779fedabce.jpg

Certainly not even a republican from the deep South would argue with you on this point.

The south lost, get over it.

Why people want to be reminded over and over again that they were on the loosing side escapes me.

Why people want to be reminded over and over again that they were on the loosing side escapes me.

When a team loses the Super Bowl, do they retire their branding?

There is still a culture war going on with the South (or the Deep South), and the thought that certain people should stop resisting and adopt to your view aptly demonstrates why there was a culture war in the first place.

Regarding the post at hand, as a Northerner I will abstain from sharing my opinion so as not to contribute to any resulting cultural conflict. :)

JKG

I don't have a dog in the fight (or a flag) and I am a damnyankee.
But the liberal knee jerks who are leading the charge to extinguish the Confederate Battle Flag are about to hit turbulence (see, airplane reference:) and the politicians rushing to be out in front of the crowd so they can claim it was "their" idea are about to learn a hard lesson.
Yes, the liberal and very democrat big cities in the South will get on board with any new idea as long as it is novel and it includes more central government edicts.

But the good old boys who inhabit the South are not going to go along. They feel it is THEIR flag. And they vote. And there is a lot of them.
Nikki's reelection should be interesting as well as some other state and federal politicians.

But the liberal knee jerks who are leading the charge to extinguish the Confederate Battle Flag are about to hit turbulence (see, airplane reference:) and the politicians rushing to be out in front of the crowd so they can claim it was "their" idea are about to learn a hard lesson.
Yes, the liberal and very democrat big cities in the South will get on board with any new idea as long as it is novel and it includes more central government edicts.

But the good old boys who inhabit the South are not going to go along. They feel it is THEIR flag. And they vote. And there is a lot of them.
Nikki's reelection should be interesting as well as some other state and federal politicians.

I said the same thing in the spin zone. Congrats, you're now a racist like me. ;) Like you, I predicted she wouldn't be elected again not realizing she's on her last term anyway.

The American Indians lost. Should they "get over it"?
Africans were captured and sold as slaves. They "lost". Should they get over it?
Jews lost big time in Nazi Germany. Should they get over it?

Gore lost to Bush in the Supreme Court. Now HE (and his supporters) should really get over that.

Africans were captured and sold as slaves. They "lost". Should they get over it?

Gore lost to Bush in the Supreme Court. Now HE (and his supporters) should really get over that.

Wow, nail, hit squarely on the head!

I don't have a dog in the fight either, however one of the pundits on NPR brought up a valid point - it's call Free Speech. Even the ACLU is siding with the Flag supporters. I may despise what you say but I will defend your right to say it. As long as it's not violent overthrow of the government, it's not only your priviledge but also your right.

Altho....there are times I'd really like to start over from scratch with an entirely new collection of elected officials in Washington DC.

I don't have a dog in the fight either, however one of the pundits on NPR brought up a valid point - it's call Free Speech. Even the ACLU is siding with the Flag supporters. I may despise what you say but I will defend your right to say it. As long as it's not violent overthrow of the government, it's not only your priviledge but also your right.

Altho....there are times I'd really like to start over from scratch with an entirely new collection of elected officials in Washington DC.

As far as I can see, the government is not suppressing free speech. But if you remove the depicted flags the MC may suppress it. :rofl:

Last edited:
Some flags need to be burned. Along with all they "protect".

I support leaving the flag on

dude.....what the.........why.......I mean,...........wtf

I think I just heard bartmc say "turn your head and cough"

for posting that nonsense I feel you should give me your Fare The Well tour tickets. it's just the right thing to do.

The problem is, American Indians did nothing wrong and neither did the others you cite, except perhaps Gore, I can't speak to that. Based on this logic, in fact the groups you cite should not get over it. The Confederacy was pro-slavery and pro-secession, both problematic in a Union of States comprised of moral people. All the North did was emancipate fellow human beings - wrong a right as it were. So indeed it seems the South should get over it.

BTW, I'd gladly help take down the flag for #3. :yes:

Their argument for keeping the Confederate flag makes no sense to me. Heritage and bravery of those Confederates soldiers lost in battle ??? Really ? Well, there were "brave" NAZI soldiers lost in battle too. Do you see one legitimate group or governmental agency in Germany clamoring to hold onto and display the swastika flag ? NO - because they were WRONG and everything they stood for was wrong.

After seeing all my redneck family "liking" a bunch of BS on the confederate flag, I finally posted the following. (I was in the Army.)

I've lived in Arkansas since 1993 and I still don't get it. I don't get the attraction to the confederate flag. I do understand the need to remember the history as it was a very bloody war.

At the end of the day, there is only one flag I've ever saluted. The rest have no real meaning to me.

I will say there are some that think we should change the Arkansas flag. Meh. Not a big Asa Hutchinson fan, but governor nailed it: the Arkansas flag shows the history of the state - including the civil war, and even diamonds! (yep, you can dig some up for yourself if you like) Nothing wrong with the Arkansas flag.

The confederate flag is from a fallen Army. The war has long been over.

(Just don't tell my wife I'm paging back to make sure those confederate flags are properly removed ;) )

Their argument for keeping the Confederate flag makes no sense to me. Heritage and bravery of those Confederates soldiers lost in battle ??? Really ? Well, there were "brave" NAZI soldiers lost in battle too. Do you see one legitimate group or governmental agency in Germany clamoring to hold onto and display the swastika flag ? NO - because they were WRONG and everything they stood for was wrong.
Plus, it's illegal in Germany to do so.

I'm going to explain the flag thing just once for whatever good it does. I don't wave or display it btw, but I know people who do and it is very clear to me by comments from northerners/city folks opposed to it that they have absolutely no understanding of why it's usually flown. As I said I have no dog in this hunt, I don't care much either way beyond a general distaste for censorship, but....

I grew up in rural IL and have lived in or near rural communities almost all my life. I always heard the flag called the "rebel" flag and that's pretty much what it means to I'd bet 90% or more of the guys flying it. "Hey, look at me, I'm a good 'ol country rebel and I'm thumbing my nose at authority." Not racism, not pining for the return of the confederacy, just a symbol of a rebellion. Now, park all your history lessons, counter-arguments, etc for a moment and understand this- you're asking someone declaring themselves loudly to be a rebel to take down their symbol. They're only going to see that as further reason why it needs to stay up.

Now, southerners have some additional connections to it. "Heritage" basically. I'm not a southerner but I think I understand. If you want to understand listen to this song, it's one of my favorites and I think it pretty well explains how a lot of these southerners feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vCYdYSxjNg

For every flag that goes down, 10 more will go up.

Anyone notice the parallel to ISIS going across Iraq and Syria destroying every museum and bit of history?

As someone else said you can take the good portion of values from the Old South, and reject the poor ones. It means what you want it to mean. It's just a freakin flag for G*ds sake.

I also do not have a problem with the Swastika. I don't let symbols from the past bother me, or have that kind of power over me. It doesn't mean what it used to, its just a symbol of the past. I think it is ridiculous that Germany outlawed the Swastika. They are empowering it to mean something by doing that. If you don't like something IGNORE IT.

Grow up people.

The Confederacy was about far more than slavery. How about we remember the taxation issues that were what really led to succession? Slavery itself was a very small issue in a huge state's rights battle.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I'm going to explain the flag thing just once for whatever good it does. I don't wave or display it btw, but I know people who do and it is very clear to me by comments from northerners/city folks opposed to it that they have absolutely no understanding of why it's usually flown. As I said I have no dog in this hunt, I don't care much either way beyond a general distaste for censorship, but....

I grew up in rural IL and have lived in or near rural communities almost all my life. I always heard the flag called the "rebel" flag and that's pretty much what it means to I'd bet 90% or more of the guys flying it. "Hey, look at me, I'm a good 'ol country rebel and I'm thumbing my nose at authority." Not racism, not pining for the return of the confederacy, just a symbol of a rebellion. Now, park all your history lessons, counter-arguments, etc for a moment and understand this- you're asking someone declaring themselves loudly to be a rebel to take down their symbol. They're only going to see that as further reason why it needs to stay up.

Now, southerners have some additional connections to it. "Heritage" basically. I'm not a southerner but I think I understand. If you want to understand listen to this song, it's one of my favorites and I think it pretty well explains how a lot of these southerners feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vCYdYSxjNg

Most of the folks I know will go out and buy a ton of these flags to show they are "rebels". Interesting conformity ...

But I don't think the current argument is over what flags you have at YOUR house (or on your car, etc). The issue is flying this flag in areas of importance - like on the grounds of a state/federal public building. Whether or not they take it down really doesn't matter to me personally. But it will be "telling" in that there is a fairly large segment of the population that appears to be offended by flying the "rebel flag" over state property.

The Confederacy was about far more than slavery. How about we remember the taxation issues that were what really led to succession? Slavery itself was a very small issue in a huge state's rights battle.

Um, no...

brian];1816769 said:
Most of the folks I know will go out and buy a ton of these flags to show they are "rebels". Interesting conformity ...

Just like the rugged individualist Harley guys who buy their bikes, leather vest, get tats, and then ride around together in big herds!

The civil war was almost all about slavery.
The war was not. The war was about secession. The secession was about much more than slavery. States rights, unfair tariffs, military shortcomings, the North dominating the south in the legislature, and so on. A few of those tie with some slavery, but only a few of Southern states opted for secession with slavery as a major factor.

The media and our educational system have falesely convinced the public that the Civil War was all about slavery. There was much more than slavery, including economic factors, and tarrifs. Public schools, universities, and the media have conveniently re-written history to fulfill an agenda, and people just believe it as gospel. :rolleyes:

Back