How many here have read these books. See attached poll?

How many here have read?

• PHAK

• Instrument Flying Handbook

• Instrument Flying Procedures Handbook

• Aviation Weather Handbook

• FAR/AIM

• All of the Above

• None of them

• Only bits and pieces of one or more as reference material

• Airplane Flying Handbook

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ve read Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators cover to cover. Didn’t understand a lick of it.
I bought a copy of it when I was young and also read it. I'm pretty sure I was still in school working on my Mech E degree....
I tried to understand it...but if I'm honest it was more hopeful that some little bits and pieces were getting in there and maybe some of those bits would hopefully stir around in there and make sense some day....

Weren't you in the Army? Not enough pictures. :p
I always called the Army’s Fundamentals of Flight “aerodynamics for dummies.” Not much on equations, lots of pictures. Black and white though. Needs to be color.

If you have ADHD or failed high school Algebra, there’s a place for you in Army Aviation. ;)

Got my first airplane ride in a C-172 in 1967 when I was 13 years old. I started reading every book I could get my hands on right after that, got a student license in 1969 and started taking lessons. So I've read all of those and many more technical, military, civilian, fiction and non-fiction novels, anything to do with airplanes and still going. I got one on Amazon a month or so back about guys flying Twin Beech freighters back in the 80's. There are still more out there to read.

For those that chose "all of the above", did you intend on reading the all from the start, or just over time you got it done? Was it boredom, career driven, a good pilot always learning? What was your motivation, if you care to share?

I find that Sheppard Air has been good, but after only now starting to read the PHAK after my IR, I shortchanged myself. I was in a hurry though to get from zero to hero. Now that I find it's taking longer than expected to get to hero, I have time to read. I can fill the holes that weren't taught or vaguely mentioned, being filled. It's why I created the poll.
I wanted to know everything about flying from the jump. Read these and many more. Sometimes more than once.

Got my first airplane ride in a C-172 in 1967 when I was 13 years old. I started reading every book I could get my hands on right after that, got a student license in 1969 and started taking lessons. So I've read all of those and many more technical, military, civilian, fiction and non-fiction novels, anything to do with airplanes and still going. I got one on Amazon a month or so back about guys flying Twin Beech freighters back in the 80's. There are still more out there to read.
Thank you for sharing. I’m starting pretty late in life with my aviation experience. Instead of regretting not being able to start when I was 13, I just hope to gain, learn, and appreciate my opportunity to live this dream as long as I can. I still cannot believe I can go rent a plane and fly through the clouds. It’s surreal.

can't answer the poll, because can only select 4 (don't think I've read the IPH, maybe just portions).

how many here have read the TERPS and the various addendums?
Why would one read the TERPS unless you want to design your own instrument approaches?

Why would one read the TERPS unless you want to design your own instrument approaches?
So you can know the difference between good enough to pass a checkride and good enough to not hit stuff.

At one time the IFH had a summary of differences in standards between the PTS and TERPS.

Shouldn't the real question be, how many here can read.??

I learned to read while still in diapers...

at age 8...

Shouldn't the real question be, how many here can read.??

I learned to read while still in diapers...

at age 8...
I can read. Unless its those squiggly lines in the airplane logbooks. Can't read that stuff at all.

Of that pilot reading material the AIM is the only one I occasionally open up and "read". Usually with a mission about topics I want to revisit in depth. It doesn't have much fluff IMHO.

I'd rather shoot myself in the face than re-read the PHAK. They could have shortened that thing by 90% and actually improved pilot comprehension and outcomes.

I'd rather shoot myself in the face than re-read the PHAK. They could have shortened that thing by 90% and actually improved pilot comprehension and outcomes.
I see you haven't read the Aviation Instructor's Handbook.

Back