Hello Crash at 62S

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
A Medivac helo crashed at the Christmas Valley Airport, 62S, May 18 2022. I’m wondering if there was a thread here about it. I haven’t found it but then I don’t seem to be able to do searches very well. Anyone remember, maybe able to find it?

Last edited:
Well with 30 kt winds with a witness reporting 43 kt winds, if it ain’t of the nose in a small helicopter, you’re gonna get into loss of tail rotor effectiveness.

Searching the forum for any of N851AL, 62S, Christmas Valley Airport and medivac turns up nothing relevant.

Well with 30 kt winds with a witness reporting 43 kt winds, if it ain’t of the nose in a small helicopter, you’re gonna get into loss of tail rotor effectiveness.
Whadda ya think about he turned the helo into a tail wind to give the ambulance crew a shorter walk to the door. A pretty strong tail wind with gusts. No mention of that was given in the Probable Cause and there was no Contributing Cause.

Whadda ya think about he turned the helo into a tail wind to give the ambulance crew a shorter walk to the door. A pretty strong tail wind with gusts. No mention of that was given in the Probable Cause and there was no Contributing Cause.
Well you try to do that for an easier load on the crew. In my company we shoot for a 9 o’clock load because that’s easiest and it’s a good (high) spot on the rotor disk for safety. But, no way with the winds given I’d be moving my tail around for easier load on the crew.

Heck, in my area you’d be hard pressed to find pilots just accepting a flight with winds like that. Seen plenty of turn downs with only 15 kt winds. We’re spoiled in east.

Seen plenty of turn downs with only 15 kt winds. We’re spoiled in east.
Those guys really would not like the winds here in the west... :lol:

The problem with the fixed wing guys here is they are young and not very experienced. Too many turn downs due to wind, clouds and even night. Admittedly there are a few landing areas that can be rather difficult at night with wind and no moon.

A couple of flight nurses that I used to fly with have asked me several times to return.

But, no way with the winds given I’d be moving my tail around for easier load on the crew.
Same thing happens offshore especially on the older small decks where the stairway comes up through the deck at the edge. Been times where the prevailing winds would put the T/R over the stairway so no unloading/loading possible or even the ability to shutdown without being stuck there till the wind died down or worse you get blown off the deck just as you shutdown.

The problem with the fixed wing guys here is they are young and not very experienced. Too many turn downs due to wind, clouds and even night. Admittedly there are a few landing areas that can be rather difficult at night with wind and no moon.

A couple of flight nurses that I used to fly with have asked me several times to return.
Exactly. My brother lives in Abilene and they routinely get 30 kt winds with over 40 kt gusts. I tell him about EMS bases here for turning down flights with 15 kts. Heck, Ive taken a flight from a “competitor” turndown with 10 G 12kts and not a single PIREP / AIRMET for mod turb. Their helicopter still sitting on the pad.

Last edited:

Your post reminded me of the time one of my close friends was flying a 172 over the lava flows near Grants, NM around 1 AM when his engine decided to take a break. This was in the 90s. As you know, the lava landscape isn't the ideal place for a night emergency landing. :biggrin: While the conditions were clear and cold, there were few lights within view.

He had about 125 hours at the time, and a PPL/VFR certificate. After a minute or so that he said seemed like eternity, the engine relit and he continued the trip to KABQ. I don't recall what caused the unscheduled engine stoppage.

I'm pretty sure that was his last VFR flight in a piston single after sunset. He now owns a Baron and has an instrument rating.

:biggrin:

Back