Get A&P license to maintain own Airplane

I can't speak for all A&Ps but personally, I don't want the added liability and hassle.
From what I've seen and heard, it’s the hassle part that keeps a lot of them away. When the IA test went multiple choice and our 135 required mx recurrent training became an FAA acceptable means to renew an IA, the numbers of IAs amongst the 400 mechanics at the day job increased by 30%. However, after the 1st and 2nd IA renewal cycles, the active IA numbers dropped back down to the 10% level mainly due to the BS they ran into using the IA. Plus a few guys got stupid and did some questionable outside work that almost cost them their job and their A&P.

This one is quite different than other FAA designees.....
Interesting. When I went through the NEB process, we were told an IA was not considered a designee position and those that did have an IA should be very careful not to intermix those two separate functions. Has this changed?

From what I've seen and heard, it’s the hassle part that keeps a lot of them away. When the IA test went multiple choice and our 135 required mx recurrent training became an FAA acceptable means to renew an IA, the numbers of IAs amongst the 400 mechanics at the day job increased by 30%. However, after the 1st and 2nd IA renewal cycles, the active IA numbers dropped back down to the 10% level mainly due to the BS they ran into using the IA. Plus a few guys got stupid and did some questionable outside work that almost cost them their job and their A&P.

Interesting. When I went through the NEB process, we were told an IA was not considered a designee position and those that did have an IA should be very careful not to intermix those two separate functions. Has this changed?
It's not the same as the other designees....but, it is a kind of designee....the IAs were in the designee database.

Last edited:
Do you have a current link that includes the IA listings? The designee directory link I have no longer includes the IAs like the one did after they cancelled AC 65.13.
I don't know where I get this stuff from....it's been a few years since I had to the Designee Manager's course in OK City.

I just checked the Designee database....and IAs are not in the new database. So ....there is that. ;)

Last edited:
My test was a “ Multiple”.

Multiple trips to the car to bring in the data!

I don't know where I get this stuff from....it's been a few years since I had to the Designee Manager's course in OK City.

I just checked the Designee database....and IAs are not in the new database. So ....there is that. ;)
You have to do a FOIA request to get the data acutally sorted otherwise its burried in thousands of people with all sorts of certs

My test was a “ Multiple”.

Multiple trips to the car to bring in the data!
The DME's let you do that? I mean theres litterlaly an infinite amount of things they could ask you to do so I would think you would need a lap top with chat gpt. I mean in reality I would think you could just bring the laptop into the exam for the practical portion since thats what you will be doing in a real life setting. You will pull all the regs and documents and manufacturer data and parts before you ever turn a wrench.

Last edited:
I can't speak for all A&Ps but personally, I don't want the added liability and hassle.
I thought that before until the costs started to soar into 3-5k just for the inspection and then on up for repairs (not including parts). So then any rational person has to ask themselves, how much of a hassle is it for you to make 5-10k to just **** it away on price inflated labor? If that much money is easy for you to come by then maybe but if its not then its worth it to pursue the certs.

The DME's let you do that? I mean theres litterlaly an infinite amount of things they could ask you to do so I would think you would need a lap top with chat gpt. I mean in reality I would think you could just bring the laptop into the exam for the practical portion since thats what you will be doing in a real life setting. You will pull all the regs and documents and manufacturer data and parts before you ever turn a wrench.

He's referencing the old IA exam. Many years ago the IA exam was administered by the FSDO by an ASI (DME's cannot issue an IA) and consisted of a 10 question essay style test. The applicant had to bring their own data, and since this was pre internet days, that data was mainly on microfiche. Also needed a copy of the CFR's and the AC43.13 among others.

The applicant would answer the question, then have to provide all the references to back up the answer. It was a long tedious process.

He's referencing the old IA exam. Many years ago the IA exam was administered by the FSDO, and consisted of a 10 question essay style test. The applicant had to bring their own data, and since this was pre internet days, that data was mainly on microfiche. Also needed a copy of the CFR's and the AC43.13 among others.

The applicant would answer the question, then have to provide all the references to back up the answer. It was a long tedious process.
I heard its a computer exam in a testing center now similar to the A&P written (only longer and more difficult). Would be cool if the O&Ps were done like that, another computer exam with some parts and papers laying on a table and the IA just gives you a little green light if its correct and then a little printer prints your A&P cert

I heard its a computer exam in a testing center now similar to the A&P written (only longer and more difficult).

It's a multiple choice written, and I wouldn't say it's more difficult. The A&P writtens consist of three (Airframe, Powerplant and General).

When I tested there were no “laptops”.

You had to bring ALL data such as AD’s , TCDS, FAR, AC43.13 , etc, etc.

A retiring IA let me use his but I had to update several years of revisions.

All were paper in a big box.

This ultimately helped a lot as I was able to find items.

The exams were similar to Doc’s description but were

1 part closed book on IA privileges and limits or similar -

timed , closed book.

No test guide that I was aware of.

1 part major repairs and 1 part major alterations open book

( what you brought) no time limit. Essay questions.

It took all day and I recall being tired and hungry.

Plus a drive from Austin to San Antonio and back.

Years ago things were a lot different. If wanted to take a particular

test ( Multi-engine Sea-ATP ??); you just went to a FAA Facility ( GADO,

FSDO,FSS or Tower and stopped in. Anytime, no authorization needed.

Back