Five members of Georgia family killed (Piper PA-46 crash)

It also depends on how you represent the conveyance to said spouse/kids/friends. In a lawnmower it's easy to have an all-weather claim falsified/laughed out the building by any pedestrian, but when you start stepping up in moola to private airline cosplayers, that's when people get enough rope length to hang themselves with. I do agree with the prior comment about the airline experience largely desensitizes modern people to the fatality risk of hurling yourself through the sky with convective air masses in and around you.

The economic angle is the inflection point imo. The more stupid money you're capable (and willing) to sink into it, the more pressure there is to seek some validation/ROI out of it. I find that reflex quite rational really. So there's more pressure for the turboprop to "deliver" than the lawnmower. Add in the already imprudent (to me) affair of recreational single pilot IMC airline cosplaying, and yeah you're gonna start stacking up affluent caskets in short order. And we all eat the externalization of that cost, via insurance cost shifting. In fairness, that [externalizing] dynamic is not unique to recreational aviation.

And what about the medivac pc12 out of Reno?
That was more of a run-of-the-mill weather encounter similar to the OP accident. Those couple PC-12 accidents we were discussing immediately beforehand also included more people than seats aboard the aircraft...

I have no knowledge of the pilot in this accident’s experience level, but having been a mentor pilot for several new PC-12 owner/operators, my experience has been that many of these guys can’t kick you out of the airplane soon enough. It’s not the $1000/day that bugs them since they just spent six mil on an airplane, it’s an ego thing.

my understanding is the PA46 is very easy to overspeed and overstress the wings. They cruise well above Va and are very slick and hard to slow down so if you accidentally wandered into towering cumulus with some significant up/down drafts I can see how it would be easy to get fast and break the wings off.
Most of that true, except the wings are plenty strong, and they slow down really well. Most have speed brakes, and even those that don’t, dropping the gear is like dropping 3 big speed brakes. Just don’t lose control and get into a spiral dive, which is how they usually break. Spiral dive, pull in a mistaken attempt to avoid descending, tighten the spiral, increase the g-load repeat until G-loc or the plane breaks.

my experience has been that many of these guys can’t kick you out of the airplane soon enough. It’s not the $1000/day that bugs them since they just spent six mil on an airplane, it’s an ego thing.
Given my own bias, I try to be a bit more charitable on that point; I think of it as just a preference. To wit, I wouldn't have become a pilot if I couldn't physically and legally solo. I've even made - much to my wife's chagrin continue to make, highly concessionary (my euphemism for dumb-arsed) financial choices on account of said penchant for single-pilot preference in working life.

Just like my non-drinking, people are always going to try and read more into it than there really is. It's not that deep; I just never enjoyed the personality impositions of the crew environment. Point being, if I had a single-pilot-approved turbine for recreation, I'd kick you out of it too as soon as the insurance allowed me. I'm not going to be a hyporcrite and accuse these rich guys of having ego flaw, when I exhibit similar preferences as a paid pilot.

Now, your point about training and proficiency absolutely stands, 100%. There is a consequential difference between that preference and demonstrating the level of proficiency required to enjoy that privilege in the first place. That's where that bias can create a legitimate safety blind spot.

Last edited:
my understanding is the PA46 is very easy to overspeed and overstress the wings. They cruise well above Va and are very slick and hard to slow down so if you accidentally wandered into towering cumulus with some significant up/down drafts I can see how it would be easy to get fast and break the wings off.
Holy crap. VA of only 133 kts at max gross.

Holy crap. VA of only 133 kts at max gross.
Plane in cruise up high cruises at about 135 indicated, 200 KTAS. Here are some other aircraft as comparison. As a percent of Vne/Vmo, the M350 and the PC12 have the highest buffer.

AircraftVmo/VneVa/Vo%Va/VmoE
TBM 930/96026615859
PC1224016067
M600/M70025115361
M35019813367
SR2220013166
EPIC27017063

AC 00-24C recommends a minimum of 20 miles between you and any suspected thunderstorms. I really wish it was a legal requirement and not a recommendation.
I live near the site and on that day, that rule would have made it a no go. And to me it was a no-go day.

Back