Elon does not read this forum, apparently

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
People on this forum have repeatedly said it's futile to sue the FAA, but Elon has not read those posts:

People on this forum have repeatedly said it's futile to sue the FAA, but Elon has not read those posts:
If you run space rockets for half of the world , slim as it may be, there is a chance you may be able to get somewhere with suing the FAA - don’t get your hopes too high though … military , FAA , whatever it is - they all are just glorified, and just as inefficient, DMV employees.

Or... he's read our opinions that it's futile, and even agrees... but sues for recreational value.

Paul

#1: Saying you're going to file suit does not equal filing suit. Elon says lots of things are going to happen that don't ever happen.

#2: Filing suit does not equal completing suit. If he ever files, we'll see if it gets tossed out or not.

military, FAA , whatever it is - they all are just glorified, and just as inefficient, DMV employees.
Having served my country as a 24-year veteran plus what I’ve seen of the FAA in a variety of situations, I respectfully disagree with this blanket statement. Yeah, some among those groups fit that description but there are plenty, plenty of glorified and inefficient employees in industry as well; they just don’t get scrutinized like civil servants.

..., plenty of glorified and inefficient employees in industry as well; they just don’t get scrutinized like civil servants.

well, industry can probably more easily fire some of the glorified and inefficient (or they get MBAs...)

I hope that the person who posted a derogatory comment on the military.i would hope that they served. And are speaking from experience.
Interesting that making a comment (good or bad) about the military would require having served. They exist largely to protect Constitutional rights . . . like freedom of speech. Not sure why not having served should preclude anyone from having anyone from having an opinion about it.

I hope that the person who posted a derogatory comment on the military.i would hope that they served. And are speaking from experience.
I did not but my son is a captain in USMC so I hear plenty enough to form an opinion - nobody questions people courage under fire but the bureaucracy behind it is just as bad ( and often worse in terms of how much waste they can get away with ) as any other government agency.

It's the same argument that unions shelter the lackluster as if management had no lackluster, only the best and the brightest. Yea right... lol
Unions exist to protect people with relatively easily replaceable skills by organizing them into large groups that, unlike individuals, are not so easily replaceable ( as long as said groups act in unison ) - it is a form of institutional blackmail ( actually a labor equivalent of business monopolies ) that , while noble in its original design, often ends up promoting mediocrity by equally protecting and sheltering lackluster as well as exceptional workers - so I am not sure what is your point ….

Also, having served, I chuckle when I see people of a particular, umm, leaning complain about civil servants and especially military and how under-performing they consider them to be when, in my experience, those under-achievers are of the same leaning.

So I assume you hold zero opinions about organizations of which you’ve never been a member correct?
Of course not...but I don't try to insert derogatory comments regarding members of those organizations into conversations where they are not relevant.

Nauga,
and POV Warriors

Of course not...but I don't try to insert derogatory comments regarding members of those organizations into conversations where they are not relevant.

Nauga,
and POV Warriors
Calling an organization “inefficient” constitutes making unacceptable derogatory comments about its members in your mind? Sensitive are we?

Where was this outrage for MBAs who also got cracked at?

Where was this outrage for MBAs who also got cracked at?
To my point, it's hopefully in a thread where someone was cracking at MBAs, not in one about a government contractor threatening a lawsuit against the government.

Nauga,
who didn't come here to talk about bananas

Unions exist to protect people with relatively easily replaceable skills by organizing them into large groups that, unlike individuals, are not so easily replaceable ( as long as said groups act in unison ) - it is a form of institutional blackmail ( actually a labor equivalent of business monopolies ) that , while noble in its original design, often ends up promoting mediocrity by equally protecting and sheltering lackluster as well as exceptional workers - so I am not sure what is your point ….
It really depends on the situation. I understand your comment, and I've seen enough union BS to understand your point-of-view. OTOH, I'll note Boeing- it is interesting that >90% of the affected employees chose to strike. My opinion is that they probably should have given the new CEO a chance, but perhaps they didn't have that opportunity. There's been a lot of shoddy work at Boeing suggesting that management was cheap to them as well, helping to create the culture they now have. I'll also note many unions don't do much more than take dues so a handful of union officers get a lot of money for very little. I understand your position but it's not right to tar all unions the same way, anymore as all corporations are the same.

I did not but my son is a captain in USMC so I hear plenty enough to form an opinion - nobody questions people courage under fire but the bureaucracy behind it is just as bad ( and often worse in terms of how much waste they can get away with ) as any other government agency.
Most large corporations are also burdened with the same inefficiencies and waste as the military. You can’t serve in an organization (Army) with over 400,000 members and not see your share of red tape. Still doesn’t take away from its overall effectiveness.

Anybody who has been in the military knows that it is a complete cluster (you know what) in regards to efficiency. It has a single purpose and that is to annihilate any enemy that threatens us regardless of cost which, by nature of it's core mission, is messy.

Anybody who has been in the military knows that it is a complete cluster (you know what) in regards to efficiency. It has a single purpose and that is to annihilate any enemy that threatens us regardless of cost which, by nature of it's core mission, is messy.
As an active servicemember, I will go so far as to say that efficiency and resiliency are usually opposing forces, and the drive to make our military efficient (things such as just-in-time logistics, minimum manning, and increasing use of contractors/civilian sources) have caused significant issues for readiness that are going to bite us hard if things go kinetic in a big way. The military is not supposed to be efficient, it's supposed to be resilient and lethal. If we lose a tank or an aircraft, we're supposed to have a spare. We need extra people to replace those who get killed or injured. Efficiency almost invariably results in the risk of single-point-of-failure throughout the structure. The bureaucracy makes me crazy too some days, but I'll take that over a penny-wise, pound-foolish efficiency drive.

As an active servicemember, I will go so far as to say that efficiency and resiliency are usually opposing forces, and the drive to make our military efficient (things such as just-in-time logistics, minimum manning, and increasing use of contractors/civilian sources) have caused significant issues for readiness that are going to bite us hard if things go kinetic in a big way. The military is not supposed to be efficient, it's supposed to be resilient and lethal. If we lose a tank or an aircraft, we're supposed to have a spare. We need extra people to replace those who get killed or injured. Efficiency almost invariably results in the risk of single-point-of-failure throughout the structure. The bureaucracy makes me crazy too some days, but I'll take that over a penny-wise, pound-foolish efficiency drive.
I agree with you, but:
- efficiency does not have to compromise efficacy. It can actually boost it.
- bureaucracy, by definition, simply adds an unnecessary time and cost to an activity, without adding any value.

You can’t paint the military with a broad brush of inefficiency. In Big Army, we were pretty inefficient but that’s not the total package. SOCOM is pretty darn efficient and lethal. Same as specialized units in other services. Any PMC that believes they can do as good as spec ops really isn’t bringing enough to to the table.

Now the DMV? I’d say they’re inefficient across the board. I’d also say like some other government organizations, dysfunctional as well.

AI will solve that problem ( efficiency on the battle field and in a few decades human soldiers will be mostly obsolete ) - where it probably wont help is in the supply/purchase chain - bureaucrats and people benefitting from their bureaucratic inertia will make sure that whatever AI they use, it will allow for the status quo to continue - after all, they will be the ones specing out their AI overlords. :)

The group of men I served with were the smartest, most intelligent, hard working, ethical, and honest individuals I ever worked with, before or after. I am humbled to have been a part of that group.

YSMV (your service may vary)

bureaucrats and people benefitting from their bureaucratic inertia will make sure that whatever AI they use, it will allow for the status quo to continue - after all, they will be the ones specing out their AI overlords. :)
Absolutely.

I'm sure if ArmySupplyChainAI recommends making parts for the Abraham's tank in 1-2 places rather than all 50 states and like 100 voting districts, it'll be promptly "fine tuned" til it spits out an appropriately wasteful answer.

The FAA is responsible for the US air transportation system. Major US carriers have not had a fatal air crash in over 20 years. That seems pretty efficient to me. Almost a miracle, really.

The group of men I served with were the smartest, most intelligent, hard working, ethical, and honest individuals I ever worked with, before or after. I am humbled to have been a part of that group.

YSMV (your service may vary)
Would add a bond of trust to those attributes. With few exceptions, those with whom you have faced death become your friends for life.

It does not preclude having or expressing an opinion. It DOES lower the credibility of that opinion, since it is based on hearsay, not first hand experience.
Ah, the good old "appeal to authority" fallacy. Never mind the volumes of first-hand accounts from service-men and women who describe the mountains of waste and inefficiency. Legislative bills containing $120M provisions for tanks which the Army says it didn't need or want. Accounts of government contractors absolutely fleecing the gov't to provide tents and basic services. You must have seen it with your own eyes or it didn't happen though . . .

Actually, one does not need to have served in order to have witnessed poor financial practices (don't forget that civilians work in SPOs as well as support contractors) - been there, done that, have the bloody t-shirt... :-(

I think some are conflating inefficiency with its synonym incompetence.

If inefficiency leads to having the tools, troops and leadership to win a war (if the politicians let you), I'm all for it.

Back