2016 year in review

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Checked off the commercial night solo requirements, you know, just in case. Got my HP endorsement and put a bunch of hours on a 182K. Took my wife to KTGI for lunch. Took my son for his second flight, and this time, he liked it! Not as many hours as last year, but they were good hours.

How was your year in aviation?

I can't complain. PPL checkride January 2nd. HP endorsement towards the end of July. Complex endorsement yesterday while working on my IFR. If the "semi accelerated" schedule works out the way we've planned, I should be IFR checkride ready by the end of the month. Debating posting a write up/log of the IFR training as I go along these next few weeks.

Got back into flying after a 5 year break. Now I just need the money to fly more!!!!

Passed the IR Written. Managed 30.8 total hours for the year with 16.5 Simulated and .3 actual IMC. Getting close to check ride... (I had some instrument time from before...)

John

2016 by the numbers, TT 1150
IMG_5128.PNG

Year to date 100 hours....but I'm not done yet.
I put my commercial on hold this year and decided on some consulting work to stash some cash. I'm going to complete the commercial test prep while recouperating from foot surgery the next three months. I'll knock out the flight portion this summer.

Consulting gig ends on 12/23, back to retirement!

Attachments

• IMG_5128.PNG
    IMG_5128.PNG
    391.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Checked off the commercial night solo requirements, you know, just in case. Got my HP endorsement and put a bunch of hours on a 182K. Took my wife to KTGI for lunch. Took my son for his second flight, and this time, he liked it! Not as many hours as last year, but they were good hours.

How was your year in aviation?
not nearly as good. not many hours although I did manage to get some time in the sky out in Arizona last spring. biggest bummer is the LSA (C-162) I've been renting was sold by the FBO. so I'm on the ground until I can find another.

started PPL training... and is a mess right now to figure out which plane to buy ..lol

2016 was my least productive flying year since I picked flying back up again in 2008. Least number of hours since before 2008. No new ratings or endorsements. The only cool thing was adding some amphib float time to my seaplane rating. 2017 will hopefully be quite a bit better.

Got the ATP certificate with a type rating, crossed the North Atlantic a couple more times. Flew my longest leg yet (11.4 hrs). Only flew about 180 hrs in 2016. Not a bad year at all

Added PPL to my commercial instrument rotorwing. Got my HP and complex endorsements in a 182RG. Now trying to find a C150 to buy. Hope to add that to my 2017 accomplishments!

Yet another year without logging PIC (last was Aug 2012), but did manage 100+hrs of jumpseat G-V/550 time, as well as obtaining FE ticket and an additional 125 hrs in a 747 Classic. Not a bad year overall, but looking to get back in the left seat in 2017!

Flew my first T310, got a little hands on time with a Bell 206, and plenty of good ole' low and slow flying.:thumbsup:

Added about 700 hours to the books.
Signed my life away... er, I mean, got married.
Bought a house.
Started my airline career.
Congrats! Sounds like a successful year!

Moved up to the Conquest.
First three day sim school.
Successful IPC sign off.
Got high alt. endorsement.
Got to log my first time in a single engine cessna during a BFR.
Paid for a top overhaul on the 310 due to the ECI cylinder issue. Grr.
Flew about 30 hours in the 310 and 200 hours in the Conquest.
Found a friend who was interested in becoming a pilot and started to mentor him.
Took the Conquest around most of the CONUS including Boston, Miami, Phoenix, and Fresno.

It was a very good aviation year. :)

Finished my RV-9A after two years of construction, flew it for the first time on Feb. 10, and have put 103 hours on it since. Have flown to Arizona (Chandler & Sedona) and Jean, NV.
Oshkosh planned for 2017!!

A good year indeed.

Added a bunch of new types to my log book.
Didn't wreck anything, didn't die, didn't suffer any injuries and passed another physical.
It was a good year.

Haven't done much on my Acroduster, a few hours here and there. Was all ready to buy me an ultralight to piddle around with but our daughter(who was born in March this year) has some surgery needed so there goes that idea for now. Other than that, only got banned once but I will add to that soon I suspect. Life is good, job is great, wife is wonderful. No complaints.

Those who got married this year- Congratulations!
Those who had babies this year- Congratulations!
Those who added ratings, made some progress or just had a safe fun flying year- Well done!

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and continue to make aviation something we can be proud of.

Fat lady hasn't sung yet....a little early for reflection

Indeed, there is still over half a month left. I'm hoping to get a few more hours in before the end of the year and I still have a lot of aviation related projects to finish before the end of the year.

Notable flights and accomplishments will likely not change between now and the end of the year however, so here's my short list:

Added the MEI to my flight instructor certificate
Flew a PA-18 around the Canadian bush
Flew a few new aircraft types
Bought another airplane
Flew 400ish hours working part time

Overall, not too bad. I'm happy anyway.

Bought my first plane in march. Passed the checkride October 27th after waiting for darkness (alaska) and DPE scheduling.
Am now at 145 hours total for the year and it's not over yet!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 was a badass year...

- After a year at a crappy, miserable job followed by many long months of unemployment, my husband finally landed a sweet job that makes him happy. Good to see him happy.
- I passed my PP checkride in June.
- Had an article published in AOPA Flight Training.
- Was elected Secretary of my 99s Chapter.
- My CFII survived a plane crash.
- Made a lot of really wonderful new pilot friends.
- I inspired my uncle, who I've never really been close to, to go for his pilot certificate. Now we talk all the time.

- And, just last week, one of the most amazing Christmas miracles you could ever... or maybe never... imagine was made possible by this person:
Santa.png

I won't expound on that, but my gratitude to him is eternal.

A damn good year.

Hopefully 2017 brings me an instrument rating. :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-13_8-16-55.png
    upload_2016-12-13_8-16-55.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Got my IFR last week. Put on another 150hrs on the Super Viking. Got some hours in a Piper. Selling a house. Overall a good, easy year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Took delivery and got checked out in the Beech 18
Made my first real world single engine landing in a twin (couldn't get prop out of feather on the Twin Beech)
Flew my first jet and got an SIC type in the Citation
Got the LOA to do rides in the Waco
Started getting paid to fly
Flew my first international flight as a pilot (Cancun)
Flew my first Angel Flight
Sold my Baron (but I still get to fly it)

Looks like by the end of the month, I'll have logged about 270 hrs in 2016.

Not a bad year for flying.

Last edited:
-so far flew 754 hours
-84 of those hours had beautiful views of ....the inside of a cloud
-managed to successfully land 267 times....how pretty each was is a separate question
-flew to 85 airports in 31 states and 2 countries, added some new states to the logbook
-35 actual instrument approaches, and my first true to mins CATII approach
-flew my plane to sun-n-fun plus countless fun local flights and small trips in it
-added a new aircraft type to my logbook, got to fly my friends 1977 Beech Sierra yesterday
-one emergency, flap fail in the zero position with a first officer right off IOE....hopefully no more to add this year on that front!
-still single :(:)(not sure which way to look at that)

without my electronic logbook I wouldn't have been able to gather any of that! lol

-still have a Florida Keys vacation I'll be flying my plane down to for the new years, a few trips work left too

overall another great year of flying both personally in my bird and at work, this upcoming year I'm excited to finally have the time off to fly up to Oshkosh, a pilgrimage I'm ashamed I haven't done yet

and most importantly thankful we are all still around to be talking about our flying adventures!

Last edited:
Back