WSJ article about airplane camping

Sadly Airports that receive FAA funding are prohibited from allowing overnight camping on the airport. I am sure that Oshkosh just gets a waiver or this requirement is just ignored.

Smart airport managers pretty much just ignore it and if the FAA challenges them they just ask for a written letter stating that it is prohibited.
Since this letter has to go through FAA Legal department, the FAA will never give them a letter stating the camping is prohibited.

We really need to push AOPA and the alphabets to work with the FAA on establishing a policy that specifically allows in camping on the airport when it makes sense.

Brian

Sadly Airports that receive FAA funding are prohibited from allowing overnight camping on the airport. I am sure that Oshkosh just gets a waiver or this requirement is just ignored.

Smart airport managers pretty much just ignore it and if the FAA challenges them they just ask for a written letter stating that it is prohibited.
Since this letter has to go through FAA Legal department, the FAA will never give them a letter stating the camping is prohibited.

We really need to push AOPA and the alphabets to work with the FAA on establishing a policy that specifically allows in camping on the airport when it makes sense.

Brian
So if the FAA won’t say it’s prohibited, how does the FAA prohibit it?

By proxy; the airport manager says to you, "you can't camp here, the FAA doesn't allow it."

Brian
Actually we don’t need to push for airport camping. Airports aren’t camp grounds. There is no 24 hour toilet facilities, showers, refuge containers, ect, which are all present at AirVenture.

And no, the FBO is not the camp ground manager who is supposed to leave his building open.

40 years ago this was a thing. It ended because it was problematic.

Last edited:
I can name at least 4 small airports (at small towns) out here in the West that not only allow camping but have 24 hr toilet facilities, grills picnic tables, etc. No showers but most people only camp for one night, maybe 2. Easy walk into the town, or borrow the crew car.

I can name at least 4 small airports (at small towns) out here in the West that not only allow camping but have 24 hr toilet facilities, grills picnic tables, etc. No showers but most people only camp for one night, maybe 2. Easy walk into the town, or borrow the crew car.
I am sure there are, and there are many airports with bed rolls in the terminal that will let you stay if the weather boxes you in. The question is at a publically funded airport, why can’t I just pull up in my mini van and use this stuff?

I am sure there are, and there are many airports with bed rolls in the terminal that will let you stay if the weather boxes you in. The question is at a publically funded airport, why can’t I just pull up in my mini van and use this stuff?
Who has been peeing in your cheerios for the last 20 years? Seriously. Seek help.

I might have accessed an FBO a time or two by ground vehicle for my lovely bride when it was closer (and cleaner) than a gas station bathroom…just so happened to be nearby.

A bit specious to extrapolate a problem based on the fiction that is OSH.

Because more and more small airports now have fences that require some sort of authorized access.

Even here in darkest Connecticut there are at least two airports with designated camping areas (supported by the RAF). Nope, not publicly funded. But most publicly funded airports I've been to I wouldn't want to camp there anyway.

I average 30 nights of tent camping a year, not including OSH. I would love an easier way to find airports that allow camping.

Because more and more small airports now have fences that require some sort of authorized access.
True, but if the airport is supported with tax payer money, John Q citizen should be afforded the same non-aviation activities (camping) as the pilots who are engaging in a non-aviation activity at the airport.

True, but if the airport is supported with tax payer money, John Q citizen should be afforded the same non-aviation activities (camping) as the pilots who are engaging in a non-aviation activity at the airport.
Peeing is a non-aviation activity.

Where would one find that info? I admit I've never looked. The AFD? NOTAMS? I'm talking in general, not for one off events like fly-ins or the like. calling the airport manager?

Around here they will post a sign near the combination to enter. It usually has something along the line of "CTAF' for entry, or "squawk NORDO", or even "squawk VFR" at KJWY.
I have often considered using a small airfield's lot for overnight parking when making longer trips in our motor home. Of course, I would be respectful of others and stay way to the back.

I average 30 nights of tent camping a year, not including OSH. I would love an easier way to find airports that allow camping.

I know of multiple airports that receive FAA funding and allow/encourage airplane camping. If you have the facilities to support the activity, why not encourage it? Some of these airports even have annual "airport-day" events where on-field airplane camping is advertised as part of the thrill of participating. At airports that don't have appropriate facilities, why would anyone want to camp there anyway? The FAA has a process for developing an on-airport camping area at federally funded airports. AOPA has a fact sheet about how to get approval based on the experience at one airport that followed the process. It's a bad idea for some airports, but a great idea for others. Why not pursue it where it makes sense? https://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/Advocacy/ASN-Kit_How-We-Did-It-Doc-v5.pdf

Back