What kind of Flying do you want to do?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Of all the types of flying that you don't do, what is the ONE type that you most want to do, ie it might be ultra lights or float plane.

Mine is Backcountry flying if the type Bob Bement does. Forest service strips and Backcountry lodges have to be awesome

Of all the types of flying that you don't do, what is the ONE type that you most want to do, ie it might be ultra lights or float plane.

Mine is Backcountry flying if the type Bob Bement does. Forest service strips and Backcountry lodges have to be awesome

I want to fly jets. :wink2:

Wingsuit proximity flying of course.

I believe that, if I had time, I would love to get a glider rating..

I'd like to fly over some beautiful landscape at less than 1000 feet AGL, in something like a Piper Cub. I watched it on the tele and it looked so cool :)

Then I would also love to do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7xDhaxMtA

And this also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RbE_IxDzDw&feature=fvwp&NR=1

and maybe that would do it.

Last edited:
I'd love to fly around Canada (Vancouver) in a floatplane. I'd also like to go out in something open cockpit and do a canyon run here near Phoenix. I've seen videos of my CFI in a Great Lakes doing it and it's fantastic. For now though, I'll concentrate on my IR.

It sounds odd, but towing gliders. Yes, the glider rating itself would be nice and I did enjoy my glider time way back when, but I have this weird compulsion to tow them. I have no idea why.

My path of least resistance into that would be towing for CAP, but I'd need to finish the glider rating and have about 100 landings in gliders before they'd consider it. They also prefer a Commercial rating but it's not 100% necessary. They're looking our for the kids, since the majority of towing is pulling Cadets aloft. If a tow ever has trouble that brings parental scrutiny, they really desire to have some higher-that-required standards to fall back on, from both an overall safety and a PR standpoint, here locally. I can understand that.

Also without a tailwheel endorsement, I'd be quite limited in tow ships around here. Or anywhere, really.

CAP is using their older 182s though.

The other plus doing it for CAP is I wouldn't be "stealing" a good time-builder job for some broke kid with dreams. Most of those need a paycheck, tiny though it might be, and don't usually tow for free. (CAP has the same problem with CFIs.) They can fly the Pawnees and what-not, at the commercial clubs.

Why this captivates my interest, I really don't know.

Tony is always joking that my 182 needs a tow-hook, but I'm pretty sure we won't be doing that to ours. Insurance probably goes up, as well as general wear and tear.

I wouldn't say it's on a par with "bucket list" stuff, but it's close... and I don't keep such lists anyway.

Self launch motor glider soaring.

I think it would be fun to fly with little to no fuel being used.

My buddy flew for 3 hours and used less than a quart of gas. :eek:

Low and slow with tundra tires. No steenking airports.

I want to fly up in Alaska and northern Canada and pretend to be a bush pilot for a while. Also want to fly to Europe via Greenland and Iceland.

Done the gliders. Awesome.
Lots of glider tows in Super Cub. Also awesome with window up and door down on warm spring morning.
Backcountry sounds fun....see Super Cub above!
But I really want to fly a jet. Going places FAST!

Backcountry flying in a two seat tandem taildragger is what most captivates my imagination. Someday I want to build a Rans S-7 then fly it to Idaho and Alaska.

Exactly the flying I do. :)

I am quite happy with the laid back take my time type I have now. I fly for travel and fun...period. It sure beats my old style of flying: being awakened at 0300 by a blaring alarm and stagger out to go fly in crappy weather over the ocean.

I want to sit in the front of a jet and punch buttons to tell the computer what to do. Honestly, that's where I want to be. I've taken the low & slow out of my system for now with the job I have. I want something that I'm on a path towards good compensation and quality of life, rather than being stuck with none of that.

All the time any time any type

I'm certain the next goal to be met out of my own pocket will be a tail dragger endorsement.

I will take all the type ratings I can earn. The geek in me likes the systems aspect. The aviator in me enjoys flying high speed, high performance equipment. The muse in me likes the night sky at FL450. And one can actually get paid. :)

I've got 7 hrs in sailplanes but never got my license. Loved it! I also like the flexibility of powered aircraft. So basically I think one of these new powered sailplanes would be nice.

Nate, any desire to fly a jump plane?

I'd do it. Not quite the draw of the whole glider community, but if folks want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, I'd be willing to haul them aloft.

I forgot another one that's even cooler than either of those. I always thought being a traffic reporter would be awesome. We used to have two 182s doing traffic here in town years ago, but that world has collapsed into a single helicopter leased by all of the TV stations. They don't even compete anymore. The days of Don Martin and Dick Dillon here in cowtown are long gone.

I got to fly one of the traffic 182s toward the end of their usefulness here in Denver. It was a 182 on leaseback to a club and you had to schedule around the traffic mornings and evenings. Had a huge wooden box between the front seats with the special wideband FM two-way full-duplex studio link and intercom setup along with a second PTT on the yoke for the back channel to the studio. Loved all the radio gadgetry. Used to live hearing the pilots get an ATC call while they were on-air and their ability to answer the call and continue their broadcast without missing a beat. "Skywatch 1" through "6" I think was the high water mark of special callsigns approved by DEN TRACON back in the heyday.

It sounds odd, but towing gliders. Yes, the glider rating itself would be nice and I did enjoy my glider time way back when, but I have this weird compulsion to tow them. I have no idea why.

My path of least resistance into that would be towing for CAP, but I'd need to finish the glider rating and have about 100 landings in gliders before they'd consider it. They also prefer a Commercial rating but it's not 100% necessary. They're looking our for the kids, since the majority of towing is pulling Cadets aloft. If a tow ever has trouble that brings parental scrutiny, they really desire to have some higher-that-required standards to fall back on, from both an overall safety and a PR standpoint, here locally. I can understand that.

Also without a tailwheel endorsement, I'd be quite limited in tow ships around here. Or anywhere, really.

CAP is using their older 182s though.

The other plus doing it for CAP is I wouldn't be "stealing" a good time-builder job for some broke kid with dreams. Most of those need a paycheck, tiny though it might be, and don't usually tow for free. (CAP has the same problem with CFIs.) They can fly the Pawnees and what-not, at the commercial clubs.

Why this captivates my interest, I really don't know.

Tony is always joking that my 182 needs a tow-hook, but I'm pretty sure we won't be doing that to ours. Insurance probably goes up, as well as general wear and tear.

I wouldn't say it's on a par with "bucket list" stuff, but it's close... and I don't keep such lists anyway.

Logistically, how does that all work? I've never watched a glider being towed. How bumpy is it before everything gets going? What do you feel when they disengage? Stupid Q: Could a glider feasibly rotate before you do?

Logistically, how does that all work? I've never watched a glider being towed. How bumpy is it before everything gets going? What do you feel when they disengage? Stupid Q: Could a glider feasibly rotate before you do?

If the glider isn't off the ground before the tow plane, than that glider is damn heavy. I've never not rotated before the tow. I get airborne at 40 knots and hug the ground within a foot until the tow gets up.

To the OP's question: 400 knots and as close to the ground as possible ;) or upside down

Last edited:

I've only been towed, so I can't give direct info on what it feels like on the other end, but I assume its similar.

Yes, almost all gliders will fly at a lower airspeed than the towplane. One admonition of glider pilots is not to climb above the towplane's tail. Lifting the tail of the towplane on a taildragger is not good. Probably not so great on a nose wheel either.

Lift off and stay low in ground effect, as directly behind the towplane as you can. You have a lot of leverage on his/her tail at a speed they're not yet flying at. Towplane pilot has to see and immediately react to yaw and pitch changes if the glider does something bad back there.

From inside the glider the tow rope slack is taken up prior to power application by the towplane and done smoothly there's no jerking or banging around. Glider and/or wing walkers signal to the towplane when the glider pilot is ready to go (rudder wag by the glider, see hand signals and other signals in the SSA book... Most glider operations standardize on them, safety briefing always at any new club, competition, or airport!) and the towplane adds power smoothly for takeoff.

On a grass runway (common), both aircraft bump along a bit, and little moments of slack and recovery happen in the rope. Generally the pull is a pretty smooth acceleration to takeoff. Glider off the ground first, towplane next, and then glider plays tail chase in the simplest tows. Keep it right behind the towplane's tail.

Once high enough for pulling the tail of the towplane around a bit, a common training technique for learning the tailchase and how to stay there, is "boxing the tow" where the glider moves from above left, across to above right, down to below right, and then over to below left. (Or starting from any of those locations, really.) It has an effect on the tow aircraft, but briefed the tow pilot knows most students and instructors will do it. On tow, there's some issues with turns if caught on the "inside" ... tow rope can go slack if the glider cuts the corner. CFI-G will show how the rope gets slack and how to recover smoothly and when to simply release if it gets so out of hand the rope is headed into the glider's wing. The results of a slack allowed to get that out of control when the towplane hits the end of the travel, can be bad. Rope is equipped with an overstress device that will release but you really don't want to abuse the gear like that.

Various things can force a release for safety reasons, but if all goes well, the glider releases when they want to, and the aircraft go opposite directions in both direction and altitude at tow release. If the release happens under any significant strain, there's a good "pop" and a spring forward of the tow aircraft and rope... Not really good form. Glider should try to release under normal tow load, not on a rearward pull.

The SSA book and a good CFI-G can explain it all a lot better than a quick post.

The towplane returns to the airport with the tow rope, and that's something to keep in mind on landing... There's a rope back there, don't catch it on the airport fence. ;)

Of course, like any other flying operation there are some critical times in the flight. Takeoff to 200' AGL or so is critical. Below that, if the towplane has to release the glider for an emergency, the glider isn't doing a return to the runway. Not all gliders can do it that low either, but that's a common altitude for Glider Commercial candidates to do air return on a simulated rope break if I remember correctly.

Turbulence can also get things out of hand during a tow.

One could even have a rope that refuses to release from BOTH ends, but that's rare and would be relatively entertaining... Formation landing on a suitable runway... Glider way above normal approach speed in some gliders...

A whole new list of interesting things to learn about how to operate safely.

If my glider stuff is rusty above, it's been a long time. I really should go do some soaring.

P.S. Maybe Tony could start a "ask your soaring questions here" thread.

Wow! This is really interesting, thank you. Also nerve wracking. I know when you do it, it is seamless but it still looks like potential for things to go wrong.

I've only been towed, so I can't give direct info on what it feels like on the other end, but I assume its similar.

Yes, almost all gliders will fly at a lower airspeed than the towplane. One admonition of glider pilots is not to climb above the towplane's tail. Lifting the tail of the towplane on a taildragger is not good. Probably not so great on a nose wheel either.

Lift off and stay low in ground effect, as directly behind the towplane as you can. You have a lot of leverage on his/her tail at a speed they're not yet flying at. Towplane pilot has to see and immediately react to yaw and pitch changes if the glider does something bad back there.

From inside the glider the tow rope slack is taken up prior to power application by the towplane and done smoothly there's no jerking or banging around. Glider and/or wing walkers signal to the towplane when the glider pilot is ready to go (rudder wag by the glider, see hand signals and other signals in the SSA book... Most glider operations standardize on them, safety briefing always at any new club, competition, or airport!) and the towplane adds power smoothly for takeoff.

On a grass runway (common), both aircraft bump along a bit, and little moments of slack and recovery happen in the rope. Generally the pull is a pretty smooth acceleration to takeoff. Glider off the ground first, towplane next, and then glider plays tail chase in the simplest tows. Keep it right behind the towplane's tail.

Once high enough for pulling the tail of the towplane around a bit, a common training technique for learning the tailchase and how to stay there, is "boxing the tow" where the glider moves from above left, across to above right, down to below right, and then over to below left. (Or starting from any of those locations, really.) It has an effect on the tow aircraft, but briefed the tow pilot knows most students and instructors will do it. On tow, there's some issues with turns if caught on the "inside" ... tow rope can go slack if the glider cuts the corner. CFI-G will show how the rope gets slack and how to recover smoothly and when to simply release if it gets so out of hand the rope is headed into the glider's wing. The results of a slack allowed to get that out of control when the towplane hits the end of the travel, can be bad. Rope is equipped with an overstress device that will release but you really don't want to abuse the gear like that.

Various things can force a release for safety reasons, but if all goes well, the glider releases when they want to, and the aircraft go opposite directions in both direction and altitude at tow release. If the release happens under any significant strain, there's a good "pop" and a spring forward of the tow aircraft and rope... Not really good form. Glider should try to release under normal tow load, not on a rearward pull.

The SSA book and a good CFI-G can explain it all a lot better than a quick post.

The towplane returns to the airport with the tow rope, and that's something to keep in mind on landing... There's a rope back there, don't catch it on the airport fence. ;)

Of course, like any other flying operation there are some critical times in the flight. Takeoff to 200' AGL or so is critical. Below that, if the towplane has to release the glider for an emergency, the glider isn't doing a return to the runway. Not all gliders can do it that low either, but that's a common altitude for Glider Commercial candidates to do air return on a simulated rope break if I remember correctly.

Turbulence can also get things out of hand during a tow.

One could even have a rope that refuses to release from BOTH ends, but that's rare and would be relatively entertaining... Formation landing on a suitable runway... Glider way above normal approach speed in some gliders...

A whole new list of interesting things to learn about how to operate safely.

If my glider stuff is rusty above, it's been a long time. I really should go do some soaring.

Ideally, I'd like to fly for a shop like Kenmore Air in Washington. That type of bush flying is super cool.

I also wouldn't mind working for an air ambulance outfit.

But, I just like even sitting next to a plane.

1st choice would probably be flying a 727 for FEDEX.....but since that isn't really an option for me now, I'll stick with putzing around in warbirds.

Nate, they have been flying lots of glider flights her in Oh wing cap. They are using a 172 here. Anyway

This looks like a blast. Renting a 182 and doing am African safari. I would love to go do something like this.
http://www.selfflysafari.com/

Nate there is no reason that adding a towhook to your 182 will add to wear and tear. You'll still be the one flying her and taking good care of her. Get a towhook on it, bring it out here, and we'll get you as many tows as you need to get checked out.

I'd like to fly in a few National Championships.

If I really had my druthers I wouldn't be flying airplanes at all. I'd be piloting rockets into space.

Back