VIP TFR question

Display Name

Display name:
Learnin’ to fly…
Feel silly asking - but previously, I’ve simply avoided VIP TFR’s as they are usually pretty short - and it was never worth the hassle.

Next week, the DNC will have the ZAU airspace pretty tied up and I will likely need to fly through the outer rings to the East (beyond the TFR) and return that day/evening.

I fly from a non-towered field in the 10-30 mile outer ring of the TFR. So - op restrictions and requirements (b) https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_7788.html

Understand I need an active flight plan, constant atc contact, and squawk. No big deal - do that anyway.

What is concerning me is “workload permitting”.

So I get airborne and contact ATC, and their workload does not permit - have I just busted the TFR to find that out?

Alternatively, on my way back. When S Bend dep hands me off to Chi app - could they decide the workload does not permit and I’m SOL?

Thanks

Feel silly asking - but previously, I’ve simply avoided VIP TFR’s as they are usually pretty short - and it was never worth the hassle.

Next week, the DNC will have the ZAU airspace pretty tied up and I will likely need to fly through the outer rings to the East (beyond the TFR) and return that day/evening.

I fly from a non-towered field in the 10-30 mile outer ring of the TFR. So - op restrictions and requirements (b) https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_7788.html

Understand I need an active flight plan, constant atc contact, and squawk. No big deal - do that anyway.

So I get airborne and contact ATC, and their workload does not permit - have I just busted the TFR to find that out?

Alternatively, on my way back. When S Bend dep hands me off to Chi app - could they decide the workload does not permit and I’m SOL?

Thanks
I actually created a thread on this a while back for the same airspace (Chicago).
Right here: POTUS TFR Procedure

But IIRC you'll need to get your squawk code on the ground, not in the air. But someone else can confirm that.

In that thread I think someone was kind enough to specify the ops for non-towered fields IIRC. I fly out of KDPA and had no issue coming or going through the TFR. I wouldn't worry too much about the workload permitting issue. Chicago is accommodating and worst case scenario is you get delayed slightly.

Correction - you need a FILED VFR flight plan. Only IFR plans need to be active.

Call Clearance Delivery to get a code and departure frequency, before you take off (if inside the TFR outer ring). Remember to keep the code all the way to the ground when landing in the TFR, even after they switch you to the CTAF.

As a side note, it appears they don't check/can't see your filed VFR flight plan. I think that information gets pulled only if something goes wrong. I was around Dover and the only way to avoid some weather was to go in the Rehoboth TFR outer ring. Called Dover Approach and they let me in.

Thanks
If it was me, I would avoid it. Either by concluding my flight before 1400 local, or going around, or rescheduling to a different day. If you plan on using the outer ring and they say no, you'll have to go around anyway. Plan to go around and if they give you transition then take it. One Miracle at a time...

Based at c81. Had a flight plan filed for a previous tfr, left the airspace prior to it being active. Got Flight following on my way back when the tfr was active. Before Chicago Approach let me go, "No traffic between you and c81, but this is VERY important. Do NOT squawk 1200, stay on this squawk code until you shut down. Bad things will happen. Frequency change approved" Did not need to activate the plan. Was really no big deal.

Do NOT take off without a squawk code. If you take off into the TFR without a code you have busted it. You must talk to approach on the ground before departure. Call the clearance delivery phone number if you can’t reach them on the radio.

Thanks all. Very helpful feedback.

Will endeavor NOT to hear “you’ve been intercepted by an armed air defense fighter”!

As long as you have a code in your transponder and talking to ATC then you’re fine. I asked about it before departing out of KMDW and they were like don’t worry about the TFR. I think they will vector you away from the inner ring for the VIP stuff, if needed.

Thanks all. Very helpful feedback.

Will endeavor NOT to hear “you’ve been intercepted by an armed air defense fighter”!
Hey, if it happens to me, I'll be ready for 'em. Note the fake cockpit painted on the belly of my Fly Baby.... :)
1723857269502.png

Ron Wanttaja

Back