Turned Back on Cross-Country

MotoFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MotoFlier
Im super bummed, I was really excited all day for my 2nd solo cross-country unfortunately I only made it about 1/3 of the way. It was a little bumpy at first which I don't mind but then it started getting to the point where I was reducing throttle trying to lower airspeed and I said forget this and turned back. I think if I would have climbed higher to 6500 it may have been better, however there were broken clouds around 5000 and my CFI told me not to go over them because I will come out upside down or they will rip the wings off hahaha. I'm scheduling the next one early in the morning when it should be smoother. I miss the nice cold overcast winter haha.

But that makes me wonder how much turbulence is too much? all my flying has been in the winter so I have only had mildly bumpy flights nothing like today. Probably be a good idea to go up on a clear hot sunny day with my CFI. I think the plane was fine it was just me not liking it.

In my student solo days: When the turbulence got so bad I couldn't change the freq on the radio, or when my head started hitting parts of the interior, I figured that was too much for me to have any fun and I'd rather wait for another day. The airplane can take a whole lot more than you'll ever want to.

You didn't waste that lesson, you really did learn something. Get used to it though, you'll probably have more bumpy rides than smooth ones.

You'll sometimes find that "really bad turbulence" is not even close to bad as you get more experience. Probably just a new set of conditions that you weren't prepared for. Maybe head up with the CFI in some turbulence, and get his opinion on what chop, light, moderate, and severe feel like. I remember encountering my first, and my CFI chuckled and said, this is really probably only light chop.

To me, flying is supposed to be fun. I don't do it for a living and rarely do I lock myself in to "needing" to be somewhere on a flight. So, if I'm not having fun do to bumps/thermals/etc. I pack it in just like you did - especially if I have joyriding passengers.

You exercised pilot judgement, made your call, and can fly another day. Nothing at all wrong with that in my book.

I had to work up to stronger winds and bumps, and I continue to do so. It builds confidence and ability, and it sounds like you'll go down that same path. Have fun and fly.

Best of luck!

Im super bummed, I was really excited all day for my 2nd solo cross-country unfortunately I only made it about 1/3 of the way. It was a little bumpy at first which I don't mind but then it started getting to the point where I was reducing throttle trying to lower airspeed and I said forget this and turned back. I think if I would have climbed higher to 6500 it may have been better, however there were broken clouds around 5000 and my CFI told me not to go over them because I will come out upside down or they will rip the wings off hahaha. I'm scheduling the next one early in the morning when it should be smoother. I miss the nice cold overcast winter haha.

But that makes me wonder how much turbulence is too much? all my flying has been in the winter so I have only had mildly bumpy flights nothing like today. Probably be a good idea to go up on a clear hot sunny day with my CFI. I think the plane was fine it was just me not liking it.

If you weren't comfortable then you made the right decision to turn back.

Over time your tolerance to turbulence will build. I don't have a ton of hours and I hardly notice it anymore.

I still find it annoying and will definitely climb to get out of it whenever possible. Even at the cost of some groundspeed if I am climbing into a headwind...

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and fly through it. Slowing helps. Assuming you are flying a cessna 172 or similar, try slowing about 20-25kts from cruise speed and see if it doesn't smooth out a bit.

Well I definitely feel better after reading these replies. It was a cherokee 140 will that slowing down still work? I was around 2100 RPM because it would jump into the yellow and I was afraid of overspeeding the engine.

Early in the morning ,before the buildups,it was a wise decision not to go above the. Clouds,in case they closed up. Remember if it's not fun land and wait for it to calm down.

Good decision. My CFI also told be that student pilots are not permitted flying VFR above the clouds. Students must maintain a visual ground reference at all times. So going through a hole or above the clouds is not an option on solo XC.

Well I definitely feel better after reading these replies. It was a cherokee 140 will that slowing down still work? I was around 2100 RPM because it would jump into the yellow and I was afraid of overspeeding the engine.

Sure. 2100 rpm sounds like you were already slowed down though. Normal cruise is what 2500?

Jumping airspeed into the yellow does not really have anything to do with overspeeding the engine. FYI

I did the same thing on my long XC. Took off into what was, as it turns out, light chop. However, it was my very first experience with turbulence of any kind. Also ceilings were low enough I couldn't climb over it. I turned back. I felt bad too. Turns out my CFI was at the FBO when I landed. He went right back up with me and I got a lesson on turbulence. I still don't like it, but I'm not scared of it.

In my presolo days there was one flight that was extremely rough. We were getting tossed all over the sky, and my CFI kept giving me a hard time about overcontrolling and how I needed to be smoother blah, blah, blah. This kept up for about 30 minutes before the CFI finally decided there wasn't much benefit to extending the lesson any longer because of the conditions. I had finally managed to get us under reasonable control, but it was a lot of effort. We got into the pattern and the CFI said, "my airplane". We exchanged controls and three things happened almost simultaneously: we started jumping all over again, the CFI said "Son of a *****!", and I smiled.

Sure. 2100 rpm sounds like you were already slowed down though. Normal cruise is what 2500?

Jumping airspeed into the yellow does not really have anything to do with overspeeding the engine. FYI

My normal cruise is 2350 the yellow from what I know can only be used when in very smooth air? I see sorry I was referring to the engine instead of the airframe.

Im sure the plane was fine I just think I got a little freaked out.

In my presolo days there was one flight that was extremely rough. We were getting tossed all over the sky, and my CFI kept giving me a hard time about overcontrolling and how I needed to be smoother blah, blah, blah. This kept up for about 30 minutes before the CFI finally decided there wasn't much benefit to extending the lesson any longer because of the conditions. I had finally managed to get us under reasonable control, but it was a lot of effort. We got into the pattern and the CFI said, "my airplane". We exchanged controls and three things happened almost simultaneously: we started jumping all over again, the CFI said "Son of a *****!", and I smiled.

Hahaha, :D

The landing was much different as well almost felt more like a crosswind I did the dreaded "Go Around" on my first attempt. 2nd attempt I carried some power like I would in crosswind instead of going to idle. Was definitely a great learning experience but I would not choose to do it again hahah.

Don't worry about it. I was going to do a solo cross county during my training, but I got to the airport late, the pre-flight planning took a little longer than I expected, and by the time I got the plane fueled up and ready, it was much later than I wanted. I took off, flew out of the pattern, and realized I wasn't on my game, I was too tense, and I just wasn't feeling it. I turned around and landed. 0.3 in the logbook. It was a beautiful day, with plenty of daylight, and there was no reason I couldn't have flown it, but I just didn't feel on my game. I have never regretted my decision.

I did the same thing on my long XC. Took off into what was, as it turns out, light chop. However, it was my very first experience with turbulence of any kind. Also ceilings were low enough I couldn't climb over it. I turned back. I felt bad too. Turns out my CFI was at the FBO when I landed. He went right back up with me and I got a lesson on turbulence. I still don't like it, but I'm not scared of it.

Don't worry about it. I was going to do a solo cross county during my training, but I got to the airport late, the pre-flight planning took a little longer than I expected, and by the time I got the plane fueled up and ready, it was much later than I wanted. I took off, flew out of the pattern, and realized I wasn't on my game, I was too tense, and I just wasn't feeling it. I turned around and landed. 0.3 in the logbook. It was a beautiful day, with plenty of daylight, and there was no reason I couldn't have flown it, but I just didn't feel on my game. I have never regretted my decision.

It really does make me feel much better to hear others have had similar experiences. There may yet be a glimmer of hope for me! hahaha

It really does make me feel much better to hear others have had similar experiences. There may yet be a glimmer of hope for me! hahaha
Good Aeronautical Decision Making is the sign of a good pilot. Don't ever feel like you HAVE to complete a flight.

Moto, don't second guess yourself. You didn't like what you saw (whether its chop, clouds, an ME-109 on your tail, whatever...) so you made a big-boy pilot decision and turned back. NOTHING wrong with that and great learning lesson. Always another day to fly.

My long solo xc was the most turbulent flight I had experienced up until that point. The whole. friggin. way. I flew the plane aight but was white-knuckled most of the time and I kept thinking 'eh, it should end soon...it should end soon'. 2.9 hours later it had not ended with the exception of me landing back home.

Like someone said, you will build up a tolerance to it with time. Although that won't help future passengers you may have, it'll help you be calm in those conditions and hopefully put ur pax at ease a little more, seeing how well you handle it.

Good on the OP. Better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than visa versa. Plenty of time to get used to this stuff later. Right now you should be focusing on other things.

I have had the same feeling, the biggest thing you can do to help yourself is get in with a cfi and fly in weather that makes you uncomfortable (don't fly in weather that makes your cfi uncomfortable, lol)

You'll find your tolerance will raise and raise. You're just scared, and that's a good thing. I had a turbulence issue too, everyone told me that the plane wants to fly, just slow down like you did.

Good job though.

Not everyone can learn to accept a bumpy ride.

Just stay below maneuvering speed and enjoy the roller coaster! :)
Yes this ^, if you stay below maneuvering speed the airplane will stall before it's overstressed. If you have to go cinch your seatbelt up tight and let-er-buck ;) If you can wait 'till it's smoother.......wait.

You're the PIC, and demonstrating a decision like that helps give your instructor the warm fuzzies.

However, I'd suggest going up in conditions like that with your instructor, to get more comfy in them. Sometimes moderate turbulence sneaks up on you. Like the "20 knot" wind at altitude I took a colleague on a sightseeing trip in. I measured it at 45. It was smooth as a baby's bottom on the west side of the Bay, but oh boy it was something quite different on the east (downwind of some mountains).

He who flies and runs away
May live to fly another day.

A rational, well supported pilot decision. Can only say if the guy flying Buddy Holly had shown the same sensibility. Don't sweat it, I've been flying for 30 years, and a few months ago I had to turn around too. Stuff happens.

Good decision. That stuff will come. I remember early on any little bumps would freak me out.

It eventually got to the point where I had to train in them because it was just always bumpy.

Confidence grew. Today was bumpy all around the east coast, so you were probably experiencing some of the same I had. It wasnt any smoother up top. A pilot I talked to said it was actually worse.

Dont rush it, let the confidence grow. Take a CFI and go hit some bumps

The other thing is the OP has initiated a pattern of decision making that can easily save his life. He decided not to proceed into a situation with which he was uncomfortable. Plenty of us would have gone ahead to make the flight, and reinforced in our own little pointy heads that we could fly into uncomfortable situations with positive outcomes. That is a really easy way to come to grief in our avocation.

hello,just a test. i can finally post :)

Just want to point out something small, in case it was missed: as a student pilot you can't fly over the top of clouds unless you can maintain visual contact with the ground.

But you made a "no go" decision. For what it is worth, that decision is ALWAYS the right one.

Also about the comment about the go-around. I am sure it was in jest, but dont be afraid to use go-arounds. I never understood the pride hit for going around. Its not like the planes we are flying is burning so much fuel or takes so much extra time to do a go around. I rather have a beautiful landing on my second (or 3rd) time around than try to force something that just doesnt want to happen.

Just want to point out something small, in case it was missed: as a student pilot you can't fly over the top of clouds unless you can maintain visual contact with the ground.

But you made a "no go" decision. For what it is worth, that decision is ALWAYS the right one.

I agree. If JFK Jr. ( for instance) had made the same decision , he and wife and her sister would be alive. I got into bad rain turbulence once in the mooney. Just blind luck got me out of it after head hitting overhead, wife and I both very upset, etc. Real dumb decision to press on. Never did it again! I was lucky.

Im super bummed, I was really excited all day for my 2nd solo cross-country unfortunately I only made it about 1/3 of the way.

I returned early on mine as well years ago. Lost transmit on the radio (could receive). Destination had potential for afternoon thunderstorms.

We got into the pattern and the CFI said, "my airplane". We exchanged controls and three things happened almost simultaneously: we started jumping all over again, the CFI said "Son of a *****!", and I smiled.

I had the same occur on our night flight. CFI thought there was an over-control issue as winds were supposed to be calm. They were when we started the lesson, but ramped up into a nasty crosswind. His landing was way worse than my previous ones and he called it a night;)

As pointed out, you learned something and that was good.

My wife had a friend who was getting her private at the same time she did. The girl crashed on her take-off from the third leg of her long XC. She was OK, but my wife's pressing question was whether she had to repeat that XC.

Sounds like you are on your way to making GOOD Aeronautical Decision Making. You are the only one that can make that call. I have over a 1000 hrs and still don't like the bumps. Just last week I had a flight to make to St. Louis from Dayton. Surface winds 15G25 right down the runway, ceiling 4500, winds at altitude from the west at 30kts, BUT clear about 50 miles west. I launched and got bagged around in moderate turbulence for about 40 mins before getting to where I could climb. Got to 6500 and smooth as silk all the way, albeit, slowly to St. Louis.

Flying should be fun. If it doesn't feel right, put it off to another day. Remember, there will be more good weather days than bad.

I cancelled my checkride flying portion after I had taken the oral, due to winds, but an otherwise beautiful day. DPE did not hold it against me, and in fact told be it was the correct choice when I did the flight a few days later.

..I think if I would have climbed higher to 6500 it may have been better, however there were broken clouds around 5000 and my CFI told me not to go over them because I will come out upside down or they will rip the wings off hahaha...

You'll learn this eventually that the turbulence is what's creating those clouds and it's underneath them where you'll get beat up. On top it's normally smooth as silk.

But you did the right thing nonetheless.

Trust your instincts as a police officer and now w a pilot in training I can also say that instinct has never led me wrong

Also about the comment about the go-around. I am sure it was in jest, but dont be afraid to use go-arounds. I never understood the pride hit for going around. Its not like the planes we are flying is burning so much fuel or takes so much extra time to do a go around. I rather have a beautiful landing on my second (or 3rd) time around than try to force something that just doesnt want to happen.

+100 everytime in VMC but care is needed in going missed/around multiple times in IMC rather than an alternate. YMMV

Trust your instincts as a police officer and now w a pilot in training I can also say that instinct has never led me wrong

I find that extraordinarily hard to believe.

There are several instincts in flying that will kill you. Flying by feel in IMC, hauling on the yoke to arrest a stall break, and trying to correct a dipped wing with aileron are some obvious ones that have to be trained out.

Back