Turned Back on Cross-Country

Hahaha, :D

The landing was much different as well almost felt more like a crosswind I did the dreaded "Go Around" on my first attempt. 2nd attempt I carried some power like I would in crosswind instead of going to idle. Was definitely a great learning experience but I would not choose to do it again hahah.

The go around is never, ever dreaded! When going to a new airport or shorter runway than I'm used to I've made a habit of of doing a full approach, low pass and plan a go-around to make sure I'm comfy. If the stars align I set it down, if not I loop around and hit it again. Would much rather go around make a nice approach and spot on landing then trying to pull something off that's not comfortable.

Last edited:
Also about the comment about the go-around. I am sure it was in jest, but dont be afraid to use go-arounds. I never understood the pride hit for going around. Its not like the planes we are flying is burning so much fuel or takes so much extra time to do a go around. I rather have a beautiful landing on my second (or 3rd) time around than try to force something that just doesnt want to happen.

The go around is never, ever dreaded! When going to a new airport or shorter runway than I'm used to I've made a habit of of doing a full approach, low pass and plan a go-around to make sure I'm comfy. If the stars align I set it down, if not I loop around and hit it again. Would much rather go around make a nice approach and spot on landing then trying to pull something off that's not comfortable.

I don't hesitate to go around hahaha, I actually call tower and request touch and go's than when I land well I request full stop. Sometimes if I'm not happy with the landing I will go again I like to leave off on a high note. Im lucky to have 150ft wide 8,000ft long rwy but I have set marks and if I'm off on any of them I abort. On thing that transitions well from racing dirtbikes is the decision making, I have lots of Stainless and Titanium in my body to remind me to make good choices and stay in my pay grade.:lol:

Well I put her in the books this morning!! It was a really good decision to pull the pin last time because today was smooth and enjoyable! I cant wait to start planning my long one CFI sent me the airports today. Hearing about other peoples experiences and having a great flight today really helped to keep my confidence up!! Checkride here I come hahaha!

unrelated but worth mention I felt like a super Badass going into the door labeled Pilot Lounge at the FBO!! B)

Confidence comes with experience, but that little voice will still never be far away... Its a real good idea to always listen to it... It seems to emanate from the wiser part of our psyche! You made the right decision...

I find that extraordinarily hard to believe.

There are several instincts in flying that will kill you. Flying by feel in IMC, hauling on the yoke to arrest a stall break, and trying to correct a dipped wing with aileron are some obvious ones that have to be trained out.

I meant that instinct that something does not feel right.

But I do appreciate the reply.

Confidence comes with experience, but that little voice will still never be far away... Its a real good idea to always listen to it... It seems to emanate from the wiser part of our psyche! You made the right decision...

Agreed....

You have to know when to say I ain't comfortable.... The OP did just that..:thumbsup:

But that makes me wonder how much turbulence is too much?

Motoflyer, I thought about your post yesterday, as I was slugging through West Texas and Southern NM at 8,500 getting pounded and rolling along several times at 2200 RPM getting 1500 FPM VSI excursions and uncommanded 30* banks while staying clear of TS activity and Virga from underneath (no way I could've climbed into or above those big CB's). Flight was 4 hours ... with a little over 2 in turbulence (Austin to El Paso, diversions pushing me well north off of I-10).

I've been in a little worse, landed and spent the night in Wilcox AZ two years ago. Was getting close to that yesterday (Wink and Carlsbad were looking pretty inviting, and that's saying a lot:lol:) ....

I flew today to a meeting. Its a 45 minute flight or 2.5 hour drive.

I knew it was going to be bumpy this afternoon when there was a bump or two at 8 am.

On the way back I actually hit my head twice on the ceiling. It was not a comfortable flight and got a couple of those unwanted 30 degree banks. It was actually softer closer to the ground so I flew back at 1400 feet.

I even had to do a go around!! Landing at my home airport there was a direct cross wind that only got worse below the trees, with gusts. First attempt I nearly got down then found myself 30 feet in the air with the end of the runway VERY close... GO AROUND.

Second attempt was squirrely but went off okay. I had already resolved that if I wasnt unable to make it safely on my second attempt I was heading to a larger towered airport with a runway into the wind and going to chill out at a local restaurant or similar for a few hours. Absolutely not worth it.

Back