Transgender

M

Michelle2234

I transitioned 2 years ago at the age of 17, going for my 1st class medical….does the FAA have any issues with this?

I don't think so; an aviation writer did this a few years back, and still flies (Robert/Isabel Goyer).

Looks like it will be deferred since it was less than 5 years ago, prob with some more info required. Others more knowledgeable may chime in on what that info may be.

It would behoove you to find an AME who has handled transitions before as they probably would have a good idea on what extra hoops the FAA will make you jump through.

Why would I need anything extra? Its not a mental condition! Totally discriminating

Because gender dysphoria is a recognized psychiatric disorder and they want either to show by time (five years) that you have adapted or that you have documentation from those have been treating you.

You can stomp your feet all you want and claim discrimination, but you're not going to change the FAA standards on this. Suffice it to say, they are not as bad as they once were in this regard.

I can see you're not going to get very far here.

Michelle, the FAA is not concerned with what's between your legs. They are concerned with what's between your ears. The Estrogens do have a massive effect on the forebrain during transition. You need to fill the squares or, ride the bus until after year 5. That's actaully one federal policy which has good data behind it. It, has some insight. At least they have a path. Your call whether you want to fill the square or wait.

MODERATORS NOTE: A reminder here that anonymous posts are only permitted by the person asking the original question. A further reminder that political comments about transgendered subjects will not be tolerated.

Why would I need anything extra? It’s not a mental condition! Totally discriminating
A heart attack is not a mental condition either, yet they “need something extra”. Totally not discrimination.

Why would I need anything extra? Its not a mental condition! Totally discriminating
You ever watch the original Beetlejuice movie?

Remember the scene where he has to take a number in the waiting room? Well. That’s you being ****ed that FAA aero med is not fair.

Nothing you say or do will change anything about what they require to get a medical and fly airplanes.

Comply or don’t. You choose. Only compliance results in a medical.

Tarheel: "Comply or don’t. You choose. Only compliance results in a medical."

I'm grading freshman CS homework and my mind is going to mush....that line triggered a strange anomaly in my brain. Ever notice how the words "comply" and "compliance" occurs in the Marvel universe?

To be transgender is to need something extra. As for being a pilot, I don't see why they care. Everyone seems to have a mental condition these days. Hope that wasn't too discrimanating for anyone.

Last edited:
Back