Trained in 172 and want to move to a Cirrus

Cowboy Tater

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy Tater
First time poster, long time reader.
Background- I trained about 50 hours in a 172, but due to personal issues did not take the written or check ride 8 years ago. I was so close, multiple cross countries, night flight, etc. and should have listened to my instructor to tough it out and be done in 2 weeks. But I had a lot of stress at the time, and I know I would have to redo a lot of that to get back to where I was.

End Game- I want to purchase a Cirrus but am debating if I get my license in a Cirrus given I had so much prior experience. Or given it has been so long, do I finish it out in a 172 and do the Cirrus Embark training when I buy?

prior experience? You’d better find insurance provider first & detail your “experience” 8 yrs ago to them.

I remember when bonanzas were the “v-tailed doctor killers.” No idea why I said that.

in this case, I’d train in the cirrus. Or at least take a few lessons in one. It costs more to do the transition training in the cirrus than it does to get your ppl in a 172. Might as well spend the money on your target. And who knows, you may be like me and realize you hate the cirrus when you actually fly it. What a soul-less, boring plane.

Background- I trained about 50 hours in a 172, but due to personal issues did not take the written or check ride 8 years ago. I was so close, multiple cross countries, night flight, etc. and should have listened to my instructor to tough it out and be done in 2 weeks. But I had a lot of stress at the time, and I know I would have to redo a lot of that to get back to where I was.

End Game- I want to purchase a Cirrus but am debating if I get my license in a Cirrus given I had so much prior experience. Or given it has been so long, do I finish it out in a 172 and do the Cirrus Embark training when I buy?
When I was training in a 172 there were students learning in a SR20 at the school I went to. All I know is they were paying about 100 bucks more per hour then.
BTW I am still flying a 172... don't feel bad about it. I am still learning to fly it and still having fun in it.
I just landed, I had fun tonight in a grass field and then some real short landings at my home airport. Not sure if I would have the same fun in a faster more expensive airplane since I dont go anywhere in it very often?
Good luck to you.

Last edited:
If money is no issue, just get the Cirrus now. The day after you get your PPL, you will be very comfortable and competent flying it.

I think buying a cirrus (used or not) comes with a certain amount of transition training… I’d really consider just going that way.

A neurosurgeon is in the hangar next to me. He bought a brand new Cirrus SR22 Platinum in 2021 before he took flight lesson #1. He completed his private, instrument and commercial ratings in the aircraft including all of his checkrides. It helped there is a Cirrus center in Spokane at Felts Field which is not far from Coeur d’ Alene. No idea what he paid in insurance but given he paid about $1.1M for the plane, it had to be a bunch. He said it was an easy decision - he wanted to train in what he would fly. So there is some logic to that - if your checkbook can afford it.

+1 If you can afford it train in the Cirrus, all the systems are designed/integrated together. You”ll be spoiled by all the switches moving up for on and down for off. In most of my vintage aircraft you never can tell what is on/off!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 If you can afford it train in the Cirrus, all the systems are designed/integrated together. You”ll be spoiled by all the switches moving up for on and down for off. In most of my vintage aircraft you never can tell what is on/off!
What an odd comment. There are no unintuitive switches in my 1973 Cherokee, so you don't have to spend $1M on a brand-new plane for that.

LOL....most of the switches in the Cherokee I train in either have the original label worn off, have been re-assigned, or both. The only reason I know which one does what is rote memory.

That said, you could replace them all for a good bit less than $1M. The trouble would be all of the other stuff you'd end up replacing once you pulled the panel to do the work....
You don't have to pull a thing to correctly placard an aircraft. In fact, it's not airworthy if it is not correctly placarded. Assuming it is a type certified aircraft.

Last edited:

Students with zero time train in SR22s. It is expensive and you will need far more hours in the Cirrus than you would in a 172.

Your previous 172 time will not be much be much benefit. You will be flying a plane with a substantially different wing and a significantly heavier and higher powered aircraft.

You can plan on insurance requiring you to obtain an instrument rating within a year and a premium of $25,000 if you are buying a new plane.

Not what you asked, but what’s the status of your medical and are you eligible for BasicMed?

Two thoughts. First, if the goal is get the license, it’ll be quicker and cheaper (even in a G1000 172) than restarting in a Cirrus. More systems means more knowledge and more preflight checks which means more hobbs time not flying, Your insurer will likely want you to do the Cirrus transition course from a CSIP, but you can do that after you get the plane. Insurance will likely be higher and stay higher until you get an instrument rating and that’s what I’d do in the first year of ownership.

Second thought. Go do a couple flights in am SR20 and see if you want to chunk down that amount of money on every training flight knowing that even with your experience it’ll still likely take close to 40hrs to finish up. Good news is insurer may not require the Cirrus transition training, but you’ll also not get much relief until your instrument is complete. Do that in your plane in first year of ownership.

ETA: I found the SR20s to be underpowered; if I was buying, a -22 would be what I was looking at.

Negative transfer isn't a thing if you train in what you're gonna fly.

Number 1, go get your medical if you never had one. If you did, then get your Basic Med (unless you want to get paid for flying, either as a commercial or ATP pilot).

Number 2, get your written done. Your old one long ago expired.

Then, get your PPL in a Skyhawk. Then your instrument. Along the way, take a few discovery flights in a Cirrus and see if you like it.

At this point, you MIGHT want a Cirrus, but until you've flown a bit you won't really know what plane will fit your needs the most. Maybe fly for 100 hours, rent a few different planes, and then you'll know.

Get the training, then figure out what plane. There will always be plenty of Cirrus's if you want one in the future.

The way my mind works, I’d have to get the license before spending 1m.
I bought my first plane 10 hrs into my training though.

You can train in a Cirrus. Will take longer, and be a lot more expensive, but in the end you will be pretty good in the Cirrus. Did I say a lot longer and a lot more expensive? I think with very long training, it can be easy to get discouraged and when discouraged entertain quitting. Personally I would opt for the 172 or a PA28, or a DA40, for a few reasons. They are a little safer and tougher especially for a naive, inexperienced, ham fisted NewB pilot. (own it, we were all there). But you will get your PPL and be able to actually rent it and do real flying stuff while you are working on additional ratings or getting a new airplane. Additionally, the trainers are more of a stick and rudder aircraft than the SR2X, so you will learn better rudder management, learn how to fly the wing, and that will help you in the future, even in a Cirrus. I don't think the Cirrus is a great beginner plane. (just my opinion). I have 550 hours in Cirri, I do like the plane for cross country travel. Would not train my kids in one. Every plane you fly teaches you something. If you only fly one plane.... Would kind of be like only eating Pizza 3 meals a day for the rest of your life. Your perspective of food will be pretty limited. Although Pizza is awesome.

If you plan to purchase a cirrus, probably a good idea to train in a cirrus.

I've done some number of practical tests for private pilot, ASEL applicants in late generation Cirrus SR-22s (including SR-22T). In all of those cases, the only airplane they had ever flown was a Cirrus. A couple had flown the SR-20 early in their training and then shifted to the SR-22, but the SR-22T owner bought the airplane and learned how to fly in it. He had never so much as touched the controls of any other aircraft during his training.

That's a very different style of flight training and the school providing it had a unique - and appropriate, in my view - syllabus. Clients were told up front that training and learning in a Cirrus from flight one to checkride was a) going to be more difficult than going the traditional low-performance trainer route, b) take much longer, and c) be far more expensive. Those clients still felt it was the best path for them. The common theme is a level of financial capability in which the cost aspect simply isn't a factor. The expense of this route is an order of magnitude greater than the traditional route. Most of those private pilot applicants had somewhere between 130-150 hours of total experience prior to taking the practical test. If I recall correctly one was closer to 190 total hours.

I have had a good pass rate with these applicants and frankly became a "believer" that this is actually possible. The flight training provider did a good job of focusing on the fundamentals while also preparing them to safely operate their high-performance TAA post-checkride. I felt completely comfortable awarding them a private pilot certificate at the conclusion of the practical test.

@Cowboy Tater, I give you this backdrop because of your situation. Essentially you'd be starting from scratch, though some of what you learned will resurface, i.e. training wasn't totally wasted because you left the process. The key component for the clients I described was their desire to enjoy a flight training process purely in the Cirrus environment. They didn't want to fly Cessna C-172s or Piper Cherokees. They wanted to fly their own Cirrus. They didn't care how long it took, and they didn't care how much difficulty it added to each individual flight training lesson. That drove the entire decision-making process and started from a base point which was independent of financial concerns. One of those concerns should be aircraft insurance and should be considered early in the process. If you're able to cross financial/insurance concerns off the list, you now need to find a specialized training provider to shepherd you through this process. It's a specialized training product and the provider should have plenty of experience providing it, with experienced flight instructors and a very robust syllabus. Assuming you get that far, you're left with time and complexity. Are you prepared for the amount of time and effort earning your private pilot certificate in a high performance TAA would entail? If so, then go for it.

Undoubtedly the faster, simpler, and less expensive route would be to simply go back, buckle down, earn your private pilot certificate in a typical light trainer, then move forward with your plans to buy and transition into a high-performance aircraft. But I've seen it done the other way, and it has worked - for a price.

in this case, I’d train in the cirrus. Or at least take a few lessons in one. It costs more to do the transition training in the cirrus than it does to get your ppl in a 172. Might as well spend the money on your target. And who knows, you may be like me and realize you hate the cirrus when you actually fly it. What a soul-less, boring plane.
Transition training FREE in Cirrus

I'd say, restart training in a rental C-172, etc. Once you've re-soloed, then look at buying that Cirrus, if you like flying it and it meets your needs.

Reactions: WDD
Back