This week's lesson will be on the ground - a lesson in ADM

hopmedic

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rich
I've got two lessons under my belt so far. Slow flight, turns, Steep turns, climbs, take-offs, landings, entering the pattern. Lots of fun.

Tuesday, though, I had a nosebleed that would not stop. Tried at home to stop it for 2 hours, then went to urgent care, and they said go to the ER. After waiting in the ER waiting room, by the time I got back there it had been bleeding nearly 5 hours and I had a do it yourself crime scene kit in my little trash can (which my wife would not allow me to bring home - the can, not the crime scene). Friday I saw an ENT, and still bleeding, slowly, so he repacked. Yes, I'm on blood thinners, and the ER told me to continue my meds as directed. So after seeing the ENT, I'm stopping the thinners for 3 days.

So after talking to my flight instructor, we decided that Monday's session would be on the ground. It's going to be a good opportunity to crawl around the plane and get to know her better. Maybe there will be some sim time, as well.

He's happy with my ADM on this, and while I say we, it was I who decided to stay on the ground, but he was in agreement, and appreciated that I pointed out the natural tendency to want to go (get-there-itis, of course), and that I was willing to put it aside.

So on the ground it will be. And that's ok.

From an EMT friend from a long time ago, blood is supposed to go round and round, and breathing is supposed to be in and out. If either of those two operate the other way, you probably shouldn't be flying a plane.

FWIW I fought with a nosebleed off and on for a week or so last winter. Neti pot was the trick that finally got it to stop.

Good call not flying

Make sure your cardio / neurologist know you ceased the blood thinners.

Good choice not to fly. So much to learn about the plane on the ground, and good on you for taking ground (vs canceling altogether).

When I was younger I never considered the impact to the CFI of me canceling. I just assumed they got some free time back in their schedule.

Didn't dawn on me that open spots on the schedule impact their ability to pay the rent.

There rarely is a bad time for ground training. If you can get in the maint. shop with a plane torn down for annual, it’s a great opportunity for a systems review.

You also are at a good point for some ground on ADM.

When I was younger I never considered the impact to the CFI of me canceling. I just assumed they got some free time back in their schedule.

Didn't dawn on me that open spots on the schedule impact their ability to pay the rent.
The ones that tick me off are the no-shows. I only get paid when I teach, no base salary. Sometimes I drive to the airport and the student who scheduled me does not show up at all. No phone call, either. I've wasted time and gasoline for nothing.

The ones that tick me off are the no-shows. I only get paid when I teach, no base salary. Sometimes I drive to the airport and the student who scheduled me does not show up at all. No phone call, either. I've wasted time and gasoline for nothing.
It used to tick me off when my instructor did that, so I never did it to students.

It used to tick me off when my instructor did that, so I never did it to students.
I never had that problem with instructors, but most of them were military officers. Personally, I am one of those people who follow the Vince Lombardi idea (among others Vince agreed with): "Early is on time. On time is late."

No showing blows my mind.

@Gilbert Buettner i started training when I was 17. Working part-time to pay for it.

The 21-25 year old CFIs were "old working guys." I thought they had everything figured out. We're adults. Like my parents. . .

I had no concept of them needing money/not getting paid until my dad (non-aviation guy, may he rest in peace) said something to me.

No show is a different level.

ETA: and to note that the CFI who sign me off for my private ride was only 2-years older than me (noting this now at 50) - I thought he was so old. An aviation God! Gifted with the ladies.

Ha. Perspective.

I never had that problem with instructors, but most of them were military officers. Personally, I am one of those people who follow the Vince Lombardi idea (among others Vince agreed with): "Early is on time. On time is late."
Yeah, we once lost a potential big customer because the pilot was on time for the trip…the passengers were all there wondering if the airplane was going to show up.

As it turns out, Saturday night, the dissolvable packing that the doctor put in came out, and my nose was no longer bleeding. I'd stopped my blood thinners (until this morning), and Sunday I was able to breathe all day without a hitch. Monday morning at my lesson, I dragged everything along with me. FAR/AIM, Sectional, Chart Supplement, whiz wheel, even the laptop, because while the instructor told me we'd go over the plane in depth, I wasn't sure what else we might look at, so I brought it all. But when I got there, and we talked about it, decided that it was fine to go fly. He said, "We can go over the plane on a rainy day." It was a great flight.

My first time doing turns around a point. I knew what it was, but never had the opportunity to do it. On the left turn, it took me two times around the natural gas tanks to get the hang of it, and went around them pretty consistently. The right turn, on the other hand... Yeah. Started that out with going around a water tower. Where on the left turn I was putting my point just forward of the left wing so I could see it (it's a high wing), on the right side, I kept losing it behind the wing. Went around that water tower probably four or five times, then we straightened it out and went back to the natural gas tanks, and tried right turns again there. After twice around, there was a notable improvement, but still not close to as good as I did on the left turn.

It's pretty much the same with my 45°turns. The left turn is pretty good, and the right turn I end up having trouble with altitude or unrolling the turn. On the worst one I did, I lost over 200 feet.

Then we headed back to the airport. Did a 45° entry into left base for 34, and landed. The landing wasn't entirely unaided, but it was close. I was happy with it.

Looking forward to next Monday!

From an EMT friend from a long time ago, blood is supposed to go round and round, and breathing is supposed to be in and out. If either of those two operate the other way, you probably shouldn't be flying a plane.
He's right. I was a paramedic for ten years (the 90s), and I've dealt with lots of the mixing of those two processes.

There rarely is a bad time for ground training. If you can get in the maint. shop with a plane torn down for annual, it’s a great opportunity for a systems review.

You also are at a good point for some ground on ADM.
And as it happens, my CFI is also a light sport repairman, so when we do get into digging in, he'll be able to show me anything I need to know on his plane.

I absolutely cannot imagine doing that. It just blows my mind that someone would no-call, no-show.

That would happen to me no more than once per student.

Dude, if you and your school doesn’t have a no show policy with a least an hour charge, shame on you.

If the flight school is willing to put up with this, quit and go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Dude, if you and your school doesn’t have a no show policy with a least an hour charge, shame on you.

If the flight school is willing to put up with this, quit and go somewhere else.
Oh, yeah, there is a no-show charge. These are the students who don't return for a few weeks and by then it is usually forgotten. (Yeah, I know - record keeping.)

Quit and go somewhere else? Nah, I don't work for or need the money, and there is no other place near enough. My next move will be to a condo or a VA nursing home.

Local FBO charges a no show fee.

...Tuesday, though, I had a nosebleed that would not stop. ...
Not to hijack the thread, but did you try nasal decongestant? Afrin or some generic Oxymetazoline Nasal Spray. It's a vasoconstrictor. Clear it with your doctor first. Oxymetazoline is contraindicated for some cardiovascular system conditions.

I keep a bottle in my flight bag just in case someone has an issue.

There are procedures to cauterize recalcitrant nasal blood vessels.

Back