the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Another reason. Odors.

Our clubs popular 172 has cloth seats. It smells as if an unwashed bear hibernated in my uncles old 67 Chevy work station wagon.

Beer cleans much easier off leather than cloth

You all have heard of Sunday scaries... I'm having the tax season scaries right now... urgh this year is going to be the worst.

How many of y'all hire a CPA for this? I'm on the fence atm.

"Sunday scaries" - nope. Never heard that term before.

You all have heard of Sunday scaries... I'm having the tax season scaries right now... urgh this year is going to be the worst.

Depends on how complex your finances are. Mine are simple enough to not hire anybody but myself. But I'm a CPA. But not a tax one.

To be fair, I have had professionals do mine the last few years because of living overseas. That will now end this year since all the foreign credits are now caught up.

I don’t have mountain flying experience so won’t advise there. The thing I’d suggest is you set out on a learning flight with good minimums. Once the flight changed, that’s a good time to ask, “what else can I try today?” While keeping it safe. The climb would be a good idea. Or other activities in plane control where you can expand your minimums. Reduced visibility will get your attention but also start the mental math to detect when it is dropping further.
Thanks. Though I'm not instrument rated, I looked at the Low En-Route charts yesterday and I think flying V2-298 at 9.5k eastbound and 8.5k westbound is probably the way to do it, and should be safe as long as I'm flying only over a thin haze and not actual clouds. Winds were stronger at those altitudes that day though, beyond my maximums where there's a chance of orographic turbulence.

Last edited:
Depends on how complex your finances are. Mine are simple enough to not hire anybody but myself. But I'm a CPA. But not a tax one.

To be fair, I have had professionals do mine the last few years because of living overseas. That will now end this year since all the foreign credits are now caught up.
They are complex and getting complexer...

I'm not sure. Never had the opportunity to sit on one. Supposedly they are supposed to be really good, though, and keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. If that's true, they're probably Galveston - still hot, but there's a nice breeze. :cool:
Let me know when you get to California or Hawaii ;)

They are complex and getting complexer...
I still do mine. I probably shouldn't. As weird as it sounds, I almost enjoy it. At least, I like knowing the details and what I can do to effect it. Cash basis farmers have a lot of levers they can pull. It's also something I can do in February when it's too cold to be outside. I'm very concerned about an audit though. Not because I'm doing anything wrong (as far as I know), it's just that the pain of going through that would easily be worth the couple grand an accountant would charge to do the return in the first place. It also seems like there's a couple more pages every year, and I'm starting to worry I might be missing something.

I hire it out. The novelty of doing it myself wore off as they got more complex with property sales and having rental properties. I say give it a try. If you miss doin’ em yerself, there’s always next year.

I hit ice at 9000’ this weekend. Winter is here. Sigh.

I still have all my log books (all three.... weeeee). hand-written, on paper, log books.

The old ones are in my safe deposit book.

As I sit on a 737 watching people try to stuff their bags into the overhead bin that have absolutely zero chance of fitting.... Reminds me of this.
35hp79.jpg

Max Trescott and Rob Mark discussed this in depth on Max's last "aviation news talk" podcast. One of the last bits of info they shared is that Lockheed is teaming up with a European company to install a system...in Atlantic City.... Can't help but wonder if good old Lockmart knew better about which palms needed greased to "win" the competition.

The controllers at kacy are among my favorite controllers.

Reading my school's rental agreement. One item says that when flying solo, the pilot must sit on the left.
Wondering why this is important enough to call out?

Do you ever feel like you might be the leading expert in a field based on how unable everyone else is to help you?

Me: Fact 1. Fact 2. Attempted solution 1. Question?
A1: Did you try attempted solution 1?
Me: Yes, it's a very obvious solution and there are 500 threads about it including the one I linked to just above when I said I had tried it.
A2: That won't work unless fact 1.
Me: I am aware of that. It's in the manual and mentioned in 20 redundant posts in each of the 500 redundant threads I just mentioned. That's why I said fact 1 at the beginning of my question.
A3: Sometimes if you don't have fact 2, attempted solution 1 won't work.
Me: I signed you all up for English 101 this semester. Class starts tomorrow. Check back after the exam.

Do you ever feel like you might be the leading expert in a field based on how unable everyone else is to help you?

Me: Fact 1. Fact 2. Attempted solution 1. Question?
A1: Did you try attempted solution 1?
Me: Yes, it's a very obvious solution and there are 500 threads about it including the one I linked to just above when I said I had tried it.
A2: That won't work unless fact 1.
Me: I am aware of that. It's in the manual and mentioned in 20 redundant posts in each of the 500 redundant threads I just mentioned. That's why I said fact 1 at the beginning of my question.
A3: Sometimes if you don't have fact 2, attempted solution 1 won't work.
Me: I signed you all up for English 101 this semester. Class starts tomorrow. Check back after the exam.
Only every single time I attempt to get support for anything.

I know there must be people working at various companies who do actually have some clue what the hell they're doing, and how the hell their product/service works, but those people are no longer reachable by phone or email. All avenues to them are now blocked by (usually offshore) "support" people who know absolutely nothing other than what pops up on their screen when they type in what they think you asked.

I told my wife once that some day she'd find me lying dead on the floor after I call a support phone number and a native English speaker who knows what the hell they're talking about answers the phone. The shock would do me in. I don't have to worry about that now -- no more support phone numbers now, not even email addresses, just artificial stupidity chatbots.

Started my third log book. Yep, that’s right, a hand written, on paper, log book.
I got 5. Only one ever got full. After my PPL checkride I got new cooler looking one. That one took me through about 4 years then i quit flying for about 25. I couldn't find it when I started again so had to get another one which did get full so am on #4 now. The fifth one is a Sailplane Log book. Tried that computer log book thing. found it more of a hassle then pen and book.

Reading my school's rental agreement. One item says that when flying solo, the pilot must sit on the left.
There have been times that I've been curious to see what it's like to fly from the right seat. More than once I've wondered what if brakes, PTT, seat track, etc failed on left. Those terms are probably the biggest reason I don't practice that scenario.

CFI in training sitting alone in the right seat?

I know there must be people working at various companies who do actually have some clue what the hell they're doing, and how the hell their product/service works, but those people are no longer reachable by phone or email. All avenues to them are now blocked by (usually offshore) "support" people who know absolutely nothing other than what pops up on their screen when they type in what they think you asked.

I told my wife once that some day she'd find me lying dead on the floor after I call a support phone number and a native English speaker who knows what the hell they're talking about answers the phone. The shock would do me in. I don't have to worry about that now -- no more support phone numbers now, not even email addresses, just artificial stupidity chatbots.

Re the part I bolded above, actually I don't think they always do. I work for an outfit that's big enough to bring in pretty much any level of person we need when things are broken. I've seen a couple scenarios in the past few years that are a little spooky. One is that company A buys company B, who has a great product. There's much rejoicing at company B, and many of the senior people who know how everything works just leave. So fast forward a couple of years and there truly aren't people around that understand the core tech. Or a variant of that, where company B's stuff was ALREADY really old, using completely undocumented protocols, and company A either doesn't understand the problem or care...but they try to freeze it in time. The next one is that a company is big enough to develop tech quickly and with different teams, where they just understand the communications between the two sides of the tech well enough to get it lit up. When we press for people that understand the detailed tech, it isn't always functioning as documented...because they had to make tweaks to get it out the door.

Or long story short, a lot of IT in this country is built on bailing wire and duct tape, more or less, from what I see. Maybe that's always been true.

Couple that with every 20 something programmer, irrespective of generation, that's absolutely certain that they have a much better plan than any preceding generation and they're going to fix it, and it's a miracle anything works at all.

So if the blinkers go out, they can hold their left arm out the window to indicate they're flying a left pattern.

Re the part I bolded above, actually I don't think they always do. I work for an outfit that's big enough to bring in pretty much any level of person we need when things are broken. I've seen a couple scenarios in the past few years that are a little spooky. One is that company A buys company B, who has a great product. There's much rejoicing at company B, and many of the senior people who know how everything works just leave. So fast forward a couple of years and there truly aren't people around that understand the core tech. Or a variant of that, where company B's stuff was ALREADY really old, using completely undocumented protocols, and company A either doesn't understand the problem or care...but they try to freeze it in time. The next one is that a company is big enough to develop tech quickly and with different teams, where they just understand the communications between the two sides of the tech well enough to get it lit up. When we press for people that understand the detailed tech, it isn't always functioning as documented...because they had to make tweaks to get it out the door.

Or long story short, a lot of IT in this country is built on bailing wire and duct tape, more or less, from what I see. Maybe that's always been true.

Couple that with every 20 something programmer, irrespective of generation, that's absolutely certain that they have a much better plan than any preceding generation and they're going to fix it, and it's a miracle anything works at all.
You’ve missed one. We have the scenario that no two customers are running the exact same combo of hardware and software versions let alone trying to keep the customer all on one version of hardware and software. So, once the inevitable request comes in, it’s a scramble chase to see what unique mish mash they are running to determine how that combo does and doesn’t work. Customers love it when the reply is “it’s working as designed though the design is admittedly subpar. We’ll get it in the next release!” (Which means we will add it to the backlog labeled ‘icebox’).

This morning youtube acts like I've never watched a video and a lot of my normal suggestions are missing. I'm logged in as usual; but it wants to show me a completely scrambled line up.

Did some flights for Lifeline today under part 91.146. First load of passengers and my front baggage door popped open on rotation. Thankfully nothing fell out.
Last load I hit a bird. Didn't know it happened until I looked at what I thought was a big bug splatter and noticed blood and feathers. No damage.
I'm also now night current for the first time in like a year and a half.

I've tried all kinds of places, but maybe someone here knows the name of a movie I saw in the 70s. I saw it in black and white, but maybe i only had a black and white tv ...

Anyway, it tells the story of four men who are training in a Shaolin temple. They hate it (maybe they are prisoners or unwilling), but they are being trained, but they don't know it. One learns to run on sharp pointy sticks, one learns super human strength by carrying huge weights, I think one learns to battle with a mop and bucket and maybe one learns to use reflective mirrors.

Then at the end of the movie, there is a great battle where each of the men demonstrate their superior kung fu by fighting in their element and with their weapons.

I've asked all kinds of places for the name of the movie, but no one knows, not even chatgpt.

Edit: I saw it on a saturday afternoon on TV. It wasn't in a theater, so by then it probably was a dated re-run.

Sounds sorta like a Stallone "Rocky" movie. There were several ... I don't know which one.

Talked the FSDO. Quick chat. They said I could call anytime. :blink-blink:

Back story was I was on short final when a twin something crossed the runway at the opposite end - 3000’. Tower gave me a go around at 200 agl. Nothingburger for me as I got plenty of go around practice at Sidnaw. After the flight I pulled liveatc and was amazed that the guy took the number and was like “yeah, I’m still gonna fly and call later.”

After the flight I pulled liveatc and was amazed that the guy took the number and was like “yeah, I’m still gonna fly and call later.”

What is the time requirement allowed to make that call.?? If I understand correctly it is not even required to make that call, but it is greatly advised to do so. The problem could be resolved over that phone call with no further action.

1695594869807.png

:mad2: I've started cutting right to the chase with these chatbots— I just type "Get me a real person", and it almost always works. The one I most recently interacted with even had the audacity to ask for an email address. It got told "you don't need an email address to connect me to an agent", and it figured out that it didn't. ;) The agent that came online had my problem sorted in 5 minutes flat.

Back