the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Start with “P O A”

Haha. Maybe. But the accomplishment yesterday was flying 3.1 without going anywhere. Felt odd.

What's everyone's opinion on being the first to take a school rental up after a major overhaul? :oops:

What's everyone's opinion on being the first to take a school rental up after a major overhaul? :oops:
I would assume that there was at least one break-in flight

Heck, is the school making restrictions wrt the type of operations permitted?

I would assume that there was at least one break-in flight

Heck, is the school making restrictions wrt the type of operations permitted?
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. I have been keeping a lookout on Flightaware and don't see anything at all, and I'm the next one on the schedule

Until the engine is broken in with 50 hours or so usually it’s restricted to XCountry, no abrupt throttle changes, no touch and goes, etc.

Did a little time building (and engine break-in) yesterday... 3.1 hrs, 1 take off, 1 landing.

View attachment 132492
Mostly followed streams and rivers. Maybe next time I'll draw some shapes in the flight path- i'm just not that creative.
See attached Navy drawings for inspiration.
1723839835464.png

I think it's as safe as it needs to be. The only thing I do differently is take off on long long runways and fly over land where landing out is easy. Also, our rules for flight during this period in the club are very strict. One of only a handful of pilots are allowed to take the plane until the 1st oil change. Monitoring reports after every flight. Each flight >2.5/3 hrs, no landings, density alt below 5k, and a "power-on" landing, no lean on taxi and taxi >1k rpm

See attached Navy drawings for inspiration.
View attachment 132526
I try not to brag

Flying over farmland in a cherokee? Sure! Flying over suburbs in something fast and complicated? Maybe I'd sign up for the second flight.

I took a 172 up to break in the engine over Dare County Regional Airport (Manteo, NC) back in the summer of '96.

2 hours of circling the airport, county jail and Roanoke Island. I took my lunch, couple bottles of water and an empty Gatorade bottle. All uneventful.

I did consider dropping the now almost full Gatorade bottle down onto the roof of the hangar. I eventually decided against that since I was not sure if the roof would hold up to the aerial bomb from 2000 feet, plus if I missed by 100 feet I could hit a building on the county jail property...

Maybe worthy of its own thread. Probably not. My field has a remote transmitter to get clearances on the ground from approach (small field under a charlie). On Saturday needed to depart IFR to do some practice approaches. Radio was intermittent to where we couldn't understand anything. Go look for the phone number in the AFD. It's gone. Why? Because the wonderful FAA consolidated our former up/down facility into St. Louis and they decided not to publish the St. Louis approach number. I used to be able to call the tower locally and get someone. So call Flight Service and got the phone number from them. But they had to call St. Louis and GET PERMISSION to give it to us. What the heck?

Anyway, got 4 approaches in. Have the number stored in my phone now.

Thanks to my nose running nonstop for the last 48 hours and general malaise, I was unable to commit an act of aviation today, national aviation day. First one I've missed since I started flying :(.

Thanks to my nose running nonstop for the last 48 hours and general malaise, I was unable to commit an act of aviation today, national aviation day. First one I've missed since I started flying :(.
Allergies about this time of year used to do that to me. Miserable.

Does flying a paper airplane count?

Allergies about this time of year used to do that to me. Miserable.

Does flying a paper airplane count?
Damn I should've thought of that. The kids have some little whirlygig toys reminiscent of the ones the Wright brothers played with as children. That would've been appropriate.

I suspect covid. My parents and a couple aunts/ uncles have had confirmed cases; seems to be going around here. In all cases mild symptoms, more of an annoyance than anything. Just enough to fail an IMSAFE.

would simulator time count?

Is your nose running?

Better catch it before it escapes …..

(Dad joke flashing back to “is your refrigerator running” ancient joke).

;)

This…….. is a head scratcher of a pricing tactic for IFR magazine.
IMG_0279.jpeg

Also known as “maths is hard”

I've seen things priced like that in supermarkets. I think the theory is that their customers are bad at math. Or, the person doing the pricing just doesn't care.

Is your nose running?

Better catch it before it escapes …..

(Dad joke flashing back to “is your refrigerator running” ancient joke).

;)

That's "Prince Albert in a can" kinda stuff there ... :eek:

Reactions: WDD
did anyone notice the POA supporter pricing?

Anyone know where one can find this spiffy looking key blank?IMG_0289.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sure those will work quite well, but I'm looking for one in the picture, with the "spiffy" Cessna logo on the key head.
Option 1: Ask a Cessna dealer.
Option 2: Get the all-metal key blank and fabricate a plastic cover for it.
Option 3: Visit various FBO's, ask to rummage through their lost&found for someone else's Cessna key and then regrind it to match your own.

BTW, is that your actual key? I'm pretty sure I could grind a duplicate from that picture quite easily.

Option 1: Ask a Cessna dealer.
Option 2: Get the all-metal key blank and fabricate a plastic cover for it.
Option 3: Visit various FBO's, ask to rummage through their lost&found for someone else's Cessna key and then regrind it to match your own.

BTW, is that your actual key? I'm pretty sure I could grind a duplicate from that picture quite easily.
Yep, that is my actual key. I've been told there are only about 3 different keys for all Cessnas. Chances are your key is already a duplicate.

Yep, that is my actual key. I've been told there are only about 3 different keys for all Cessnas. Chances are your key is already a duplicate.
Therefore Option 3 is your best bet.

Gotta love Illinois. Stopped by the hangar to grab something and saw sheriffs at both entrances. Apparently this was going on.

The judge had this not so subtle dig at legislators after the guy was released. "Our legislator and their wisdom decided not to make criminal trespass to an airport detainable, so you are not able to be detained,” the judge told the man during the court hearing.

Last edited:
Landed at my first class C today. Headed up to Portland PWM, using a AA baseball game as an excuse to get some good radio practice. Had me for right downwind for 11, and doing circles to fit us in the jet traffic. Then asked if the crosswinds on 18 would be OK for us, so headed over that way. More circles before landing in case we landed long, interfering with the rw11 landing jet. All in all, a fun day. Messed up two radio calls, minor things. Good practice.

1724622747615.png

Stupid android apps......

Flew from Grosse Ile MI (onz) to Hillsdale (JYM) and back. There were no less than 3 5nm VIP TFR's in the area - all north of my route. But, I figure to be safe, I will get a fresh brief on my phone for the round trip rather than just doing the whole trip ahead of time.

Sitting on the ground at Hillsdale, 1800wxbrief (on Chrome), fill out all the fun stuff, push "web brief" something appears on the screen for much less than a full second and goes back to the previous screen. No idea what it said, way too fast to dissapear. Try a .pdf. Same thing. Re-enter data, try again. same. same. same. same.

Checked skyvector, nothing new, flew home. F it. I guess I could have called. But, F it.

Get home bring up the web site again, data is still there, push the button, the window that opens up says to wait while the brief is being generated. Progress bar marches across the screen, and up pops the briefing.

Why? Just why?

Back