Stall base to final.. question on the pattern

I was told by my instructor that engine outs happen more near an airport because you are changing things to the engine. An hour or 2 at cruise is the same conditions to the engine. Now you are changing air/fuel ratios, prop speeds and power settings when you land. I dont know if thats really true, but it stuck with me.
I am pretty sure 2 were fuel exhaustion and one was a carb ice issue.

I eliminate the risk with NOSE DOWN while turning final (or by going straight in traffic permitting).

Primary flight instructor during various DW to base and base to final turns:
“stay coordinated”
“watch your airspeed”

Primacy. I still hear his voice to this day.

Did he need to tell me more than that? I dunno, I’m not a CFI. But if things get too wonky, I’ll go around.

A downwind that is too close to the runway should result in an overshoot and a return to FAC properly managed.

Winding up the turn with back pressure is where one can get in trouble. Keep the wing loading appropriate and deal with sailing through the final.

Doesn’t seem to be the case now, but a long time ago the distance was taught to be such that the runway appears to bisect the the strut on downwind.

Reactions: WDD
Doesn’t seem to be the case now, but a long time ago the distance was taught to be such that the runway appears to bisect the the strut on downwind.

I had to give that technique up when I built a low wing strutless airplane ...

Every single time I wasn't coordinated I got yelled at, unless in an intentional slip. Every time, and for good reason. If I was starting to get a little slow in the pattern? Never got yelled at, it would be a question. "How does this feel?" or "Does this feel right?" A gentle coordinated stall in anything I've ever flown isn't a big deal. An uncoordinated stall can easily kill you.

Stay coordinated. Pay attention to angle of attack. If it feels light, unload the wing a bit. Watch the airspeed. Airspeed isn't first on my list in the pattern, and I had to learn to land without that indicator available.

I eliminate the risk with NOSE DOWN while turning final (or by going straight in traffic permitting).
Yes, but many people don't like the idea of the nose going down at low altitude. So they hold the nose up, leading to the issue.

Back