shade tree engine mount repair

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
This Arrow came into my buddy's shop for annual. Once he washed 7 years of grunge off the engine, he found this repair.

A 9 inch section of a diagonal tube on the engine mount had been cut out. Another section of tube was split in half lengthwise and bolted to the stubs to replace the gap.
PXL_20241003_184400970.jpgPXL_20241003_183318913.jpgPXL_20241003_183332458.jpg

That's not even a reasonable attempt at a proper repair. And it probably took longer than it would to do it right.

That's not even a reasonable attempt at a proper repair. And it probably took longer than it would to do it right.
Doing it right means taking the engine off the mount, then removing the mount from the airplane, and getting it welded up by a trained and competent welder.

Engine mounts are not something to take lightly. What would happen to your CG if that mount failed and the engine fell off the front of the airplane? Would the airplane be able to glide?

Doing it right means taking the engine off the mount, then removing the mount from the airplane, and getting it welded up by a trained and competent welder.

Engine mounts are not something to take lightly. What would happen to your CG if that mount failed and the engine fell off the front of the airplane? Would the airplane be able to glide?
Engine parting the fuselage results in total loss of control

I can hear it now “it’s going to cost how much!!?” “But it worked fine for all these years!”.

Fuel hoses and oil hoses could hold it on if not for the tornado of **** that would happen with the prop still spinning. Honestly I’d expect you have a good chance of not living long enough to worry about w&b.

My bud has a L-3 with documented history of having LOST its engine on its acceptance flight. Like fell right off, gone, very tail heavy. Engine recovered from a field some time later.

Pilot landed safely. There is no reason you can’t fly a plane that’s AFT cg. It’s just not stable and it’s prolly VERY difficult with ZERO margin for error. But it can be done, providing it does its disappearing act relatively benignly.

I’m impressed it worked for seven years… maybe it’s a viable fix?!!

My bud has a L-3 with documented history of having LOST its engine on its acceptance flight. Like fell right off, gone, very tail heavy. Engine recovered from a field some time later.

Pilot landed safely. There is no reason you can’t fly a plane that’s AFT cg. It’s just not stable and it’s prolly VERY difficult with ZERO margin for error. But it can be done, providing it does its disappearing act relatively benignly.
The pilot would have to instantly stuff the nose down steeply and keep it there with near full-down elevator. The firewall would cause lots of drag.

But the L-3 is a Cub. A Cub can just barely kill you. Something like a 172 or 182 would be a different animal with no engine and prop weight.

if not for the tornado of **** that would happen with the prop still spinning.

I have occasionally pondered: could the prop, as it winds down, carve the front seaters out - should one side of the engine mount suddenly let go and the engine/prop rotates to the side with the residual thrust.

Never heard of it, so I’ll leave that one to the category of ‘sudden awakedness following aviation nightmares’

I daresay there are some airplanes one would not survive in an out-of-cg condition (aft), and no available thrust.

Even in the experimental world I hope nobody "experiments" like that! It took at least two ignorant people to allow that to happen ...

I believe some of the small racers that turn high rpm mandate chaining

the engine to the wing spar . W n B purposes if you lose a blade.

Back