Sextants?

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I stumbled across a picture of a sextant yesterday and now I’m interested.

Is there any such thing as a low cost beginner sextant?

I think I’ve still got one of these that I’d make you a deal on…

I guess as long as you can still get a Nautical Almanac in print, it will still be useful.

I bought the sextant on the left at one of those "Things Remembered" nicknack stores.
1722534895279.png
It appears to be fully functional, though it was missing a screw on the back. IIRC, I paid about $100 for it ~20 years ago, and it came in a nicely-finished oak box.

On the right is a WWII aircraft sextant, bought at an antique shop for about $100 as well. I actually use it as the base for my 3-D printed gunsight.
1722535100862.png

"Do you sell sextants?"

"WHAT kind of tent?????"

Ron Wanttaja

I was just looking at a sextant manual. I remember reading a book called “Longitude”, about the need to invent a chronograph for more accurate navigation.

HO 449. Far easier than the HO 249 us ship drivers used…

Don’t know if I’d trust me though, think I got a D in that class. Simple mistake early in the final cascaded through the whole thing. No “correct for data”. Yikes.

Prof was Japanese navy on exchange. Couldn’t understand a damn thing he said except: cestial nababation

Low cost?

If you don’t have a Nautical Almanac, just shoot the pole star, that will give you latitude within 60 nm. Sailors used it for millennia, it was called latitude sailing, they shot the pole star each night, if it was climbing they were heading a bit north and corrected and vice versa. The Polynesian sailors used a coconut filled with oil and holes that aligned to the latitude they wanted to be at.

If you have an accurate timepiece and shoot local apparent noon on each sides of LAN, fair a curve through through your sightings and you will have a good measurement of longitude.

Back