Senator (OK) Jim Inhofe

SoonerAviator

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
SoonerAviator
Senator Inhofe passed today at 89yrs old. Had some interesting political stuff, but was one of the primary proponents of getting the PBoR drafted and pushed through Congress. Also landed over the top of a construction crew working on a closed runway.

I thought AV Web's write up was silly. A long career of fighting for GA, and they spend most of the article talking about his mistakes.

I thought AV Web's write up was silly. A long career of fighting for GA, and they spend most of the article talking about his mistakes.
It was a 2 paragraph article. The first discussed his contributions to GA. The second one discussed <some of> his mistakes. From my perspective, it was fair. I appreciate his contributions, but am of the belief that he used his position to avoid consequences the rest of us would have faced.

Senator Inhofe ... was one of the primary proponents of getting the PBoR drafted and pushed through Congress. Also landed over the top of a construction crew working on a closed runway.

I appreciate his contributions, but am of the belief that he used his position to avoid consequences the rest of us would have faced.

I thought I heard along the way that a big motivation for him to pursue the PBoR was because he was miffed about how he was treated after he landed on the closed runway.

Career politician.
Well, technically he was VP/President of an insurance company (father's company) before going in as Mayor of Tulsa for 6 years. However, that was the beginning of several decades of political positions.

Last edited:
It was a 2 paragraph article. The first discussed his contributions to GA. The second one discussed his mistakes. From my perspective, it was fair. I appreciate his contributions, but am of the belief that he used his position to avoid consequences the rest of us would have faced.
"Be the change you want to see" lol.

Last edited:
Senator Inhofe passed today at 89yrs old. Had some interesting political stuff, but was one of the primary proponents of getting the PBoR drafted and pushed through Congress. Also landed over the top of a construction crew working on a closed runway.
Other than providing me another task to do when processing IACRA applications, the PBR has really accomplished nothing. If the FAA decided to take action, their success is still 99%.

Other than providing me another task to do when processing IACRA applications, the PBR has really accomplished nothing. If the FAA decided to take action, their success is still 99%.
Yes, but now the FAA has to furnish information they typically kept to themselves which you can use to defend yourself. I believe one of the items Inhofe was upset about is getting copies of old NOTAMs which the FAA was not cooperative in providing. Now they are searchable on the FAAs website. Another item is ATC records which the FAA previously didn't provide, but could use against you. There are several items in the PBoR (1 and 2) which aren't of importance until you're the one the FAA is coming after. At least it gave a few more tools to defend yourself with.

Yes, but now the FAA has to furnish information they typically kept to themselves which you can use to defend yourself. I believe one of the items Inhofe was upset about is getting copies of old NOTAMs which the FAA was not cooperative in providing. Now they are searchable on the FAAs website. Another item is ATC records which the FAA previously didn't provide, but could use against you. There are several items in the PBoR (1 and 2) which aren't of importance until you're the one the FAA is coming after. At least it gave a few more tools to defend yourself with.
Sure, you can get them, but it is doubtful they will be of use to you.

Many years ago I had a near miss with a Marine Jet. He was traveling at 300 Knots, passed directly in front of us, close enough that we could see that the pilot was looking straight ahead. We should have tried to read his aircraft number. We were on flight following, but our controller failed to anticipate the jet's steep climb through our altitude on V 3. He did advise us that the jet was controlled by a military controller, probably Marine, as it dove to low level and departed to the south. He promised to keep aware of it, and warn us if it took any heading that might return, but it did not.

We requested the data for the jet from the FAA, they declined, as did the Marines. I sent a letter to my Senator, he was also stonewalled.

That should be much harder for the various controllers to do today.

Back