Scary High Oil Temps - Lycoming 540

I installed myself as well and really like the instrument and ease of installation. I removed all of my old analog gauges in the process. Accurate fuel level metering and fuel calculation add immeasurably to safety.

But I had the same connection failures on a couple of probes. One EGT probe was giving me a particularly bad time, only lasting a few hours after each of my numerous attempts to address it. I even had staggered the connectors as you mention, and tried adhesive heat shrink on the individual wires as well as around the bundle, but I still suffered failures. After contacting EI for a solution, they sent me a kit with ferrules and a crimp tool to try (mentioned in another thread), and I haven’t had a failure since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I started with heat shrink, but being next to the engine...

I started with heat shrink, but being next to the engine...
It was that much that it deteriorated a solder connection? I wouldn't have thought. And that's why I still learn a lot from this place.

It was that much that it deteriorated a solder connection? I wouldn't have thought. And that's why I still learn a lot from this place.
No solder connection. But the heat shrink deteriorated and the wires started to move around in the air in the cowl and I got a loose wire from the movement.

The not so pretty, but effective solution for me:

rightside.jpg

I put zip ties on either side and supported them nicely, you name it. None of that worked if they weren't tightened just right. I actually had a friend install the connectors initially and he went really hard on all of them at first which was the real problem. Then, on a couple I fixed, I went too loose, so they fell out. Eventually I found the right torque to put on the set screws and stopped having issues.

No solder connection. But the heat shrink deteriorated and the wires started to move around in the air in the cowl and I got a loose wire from the movement.

The not so pretty, but effective solution for me:

View attachment 131719
That hi-temp silicone rescue tape works great on stuff like this.

I didn't even know those Ferrules existed! I need to try one of those kits.

Sent to me for free after I contacted them. I’m glad they eventually came up with a solution that worked for me, and didn’t charge me for the fix. Good customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow this guy's South Main Auto Repair YouTube videos. Lot's of facts and details, etc.

Here is a nice video on electrical connector crimping. Yep, geeking out here.

Back