Runway surveillance cameras at Addison

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Folks: What do you suppose this is all about; I mean the real reason.

Best,

Dave

Dear Airport Tenant;

Addison Airport is now in the process of testing a new state-of-the-art system that will identify aircraft that are using the airport. The purpose of this study is to better identify transient and based aircraft traffic utilizing the airport. You may notice the cameras which will be installed at each end of the runway in order to gather data. Information gathered from the cameras will be compared against information from transponders on the aircraft and will provide the airport with aircraft registration numbers and operational data. The system is being tested for a three month period.

We will continue to keep you informed as this test progresses. Should you have any questions regarding the test process, feel free to give me or Darci Neuzil, Deputy Airport Director (972-392-4854) a call.

Uh huh. For your SECURITY Dave. Yeah, that's it, SECURITY.

We wouldn't use these cameras to, say, collect landing fees on every aircraft that uses this field, even for touch-and-gos. No. No way, we're just, you know, verifying registration numbers for, uh, your permanent record. It's for Homeland Security (cue Star Spangled Banner). ANY patriotic, non-Muslim American should be PROUD to have their registration number cross-checked against transponder data through our system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had heard Atlanta was planning that exact measure... install cameras to record tail numbers so they could look up the aircraft then send the registered owner a bill for landing fees.

Would it be wrong for me to, say, accidentally taxi through a big mud puddle and splash enough mud to obscure part of the reg number when it dries......B)

Would it be wrong for me to, say, accidentally taxi through a big mud puddle and splash enough mud to obscure part of the reg number when it dries......B)
Just do a short field ... in the middle of the runway. :wink2:

I'm not a big fan of being surveiled but I'm not sure what the objection is to taking steps to ensure collection of landing fees. Our field has had commercial carriers stiff them on landing fees, usually the guys doing quick turnarounds. ( The dont' charge or part 91). We also have security cameras mounted and aimred at a part of the ramp where the medevac helos are. The cameras are owned by the medevac group.

Now frankly the explanation that the airport gave smells something like a rotten egg to me. Something must begoing on b/c I'm not sure why they are dancing around like that.:skeptical:

I was going to say runway incursions but landing fees make more sense.

I think it would be a huge hassle/ridiculous to send the bill to the owner. Many airplanes, including one ones at my flight school, are not owned by the flight school but rather another company that leases them. I doubt he'd appreciate that bill.

Of course, this is my home field. It would be nice to know why the airport is spending this money--I mean a straight answer.

Best,

Dave

Of course, this is my home field. It would be nice to know why the airport is spending this money--I mean a straight answer.

Best,

Dave

And that's just it. If it's because folks have been stiffing them on landing fees, so be it. Just be upfront about it.

Do you think that system will capture information from all airplanes, or just those with strapped transponders? More to the point, do you think it can read three-inch numbers?

Best,

Dave

And that's just it. If it's because folks have been stiffing them on landing fees, so be it. Just be upfront about it.
Addison Airport does not have landing fees, yet. I've been there somewhere between 5 and 10 times in the past 6 months, including yesterday, and I've never been charged a landing fee. I guess we'll be smiling for the cameras now...

Addison Airport does not have landing fees, yet. I've been there somewhere between 5 and 10 times in the past 6 months, including yesterday, and I've never been charged a landing fee. I guess we'll be smiling for the cameras now...

Maybe for other revenue sources, like somebody offering to sell you the tape of your really bad bouncers?

Maybe for other revenue sources, like somebody offering to sell you the tape of your really bad bouncers?
:D For some reason, I don't think that Mari bounces. :D Now those shiny Cessna 180's...that might be another story! ;)

Dave, who is supplying the cameras? If you can find out who proposed this initiative, you'll be closer to the truth. Should be public record somewhere in the City of Addison's records...

They have found it takes less film if they just record the ones that don't bounce.

:D For some reason, I don't think that Mari bounces. :D Now those shiny Cessna 180's...that might be another story! ;)

Our AOPA rep told me it's a company that provides the cameras free and collects fees at no cost to the airport. Then, shares the fees with the airport like the red light camera folks. But, we still don't know what fees. The FBOs at Addison do collect some ramp fees if you don't purchase fuel. That could be it, or the airport may be considering that in lieu or in additon to other fees.

Best,

Dave

Our AOPA rep told me it's a company that provides the cameras free and collects fees at no cost to the airport. Then, shares the fees with the airport like the red light camera folks. But, we still don't know what fees. The FBOs at Addison do collect some ramp fees if you don't purchase fuel. That could be it, or the airport may be considering that in lieu or in additon to other fees.

Best,

Dave

So they are already thinking about the airplanes that land after the tower closes. So if a guy with a polished airplane with 3" numbers also had a roll of duct tape . . .

The next test will be that in order for you to get any kind of pilots rating, you will have to undergo a simple medical procedure. This will simply involve injecting a very small pellet, about the size of a grain of rice, at the back of your neck, just under the skin.

This, of course will be for your own protection in order to help identify you should you become involved in an accident. Although this will give your GPS coordinates to our government officials, you can be assured that any information gleaned will be held in the strictest confidence.

John

KBED tried a camera system to catch...er...automatically record
aircraft operating when the tower is closed. Ma$$port wanted
to fine...er... charge them the $35 "surcharge" for such ops.

Turned out the camera system Ma$$port selected didn't work.

Dave, have you called the number in the email? Ask them who approached the airport about installing the system. Was participation in the program optional, or mandatatory? Who is "analyzing the data"? I bet it's Homeland Security. But then, why Addison? Why not non-towered airports near our borders that need better security??

Do they think somebody's going to FLY in to steal a plane?

Addison Airport is now in the process of testing a new state-of-the-art system that will identify aircraft that are using the airport.

Doesn't Addison have a tower?

The purpose of this study is to better identify transient and based aircraft traffic utilizing the airport.

Doesn't the tower log aircraft movements?

You may notice the cameras which will be installed at each end of the runway in order to gather data. Information gathered from the cameras will be compared against information from transponders on the aircraft and will provide the airport with aircraft registration numbers and operational data.

What is the relationship with the transponder? If an aircraft is IFR there is a paper trail. If an aircraft is 1200-code VFR, can it be tracked/bacdktracked to its origin/destination? Does DFW suppress 1200 codes on screeen so they can be retrieved from the data tapes? Would a contractor have access to those tapes?

Doesn't Addison have a tower?

Doesn't the tower log aircraft movements?
I doubt the tower controllers could care less whether planes are charged fees or not. That's not their job and the burden should never be placed on them.

What is the relationship with the transponder? If an aircraft is IFR there is a paper trail. If an aircraft is 1200-code VFR, can it be tracked/bacdktracked to its origin/destination? Does DFW suppress 1200 codes on screeen so they can be retrieved from the data tapes? Would a contractor have access to those tapes?
All IFR flights are tracked by specific tail number. A 1200 squawk can be tracked as a verified target on radar and are not suppressed. They are mandatory inside the Mode C veil so you can be tracked. Radar tape is sometimes used to determine actions in either violations or accident investigations. Since they are considered public record, anyone can gain access through the FOIA and the applicable fee for pulling the data.

Reminds me of Thomas Sowell's quote: Most of the people in the upper income
brackets are not rich and do not have wealth sheltered offshore. They are
typically working people that have finally reached their peak earning years
after many years of far more modest incomes....and now see much of what they
have worked for siphoned off by politicians with the accompaniment of lofty
rhetoric.

Best,

Dave

Thomas Sowell would be a fine choice for a national leader. But, he's far too ethical and has too much common sense to ever jump into such a position.

Plus he's the wrong kind of black. A conservative one.:(

Now that I think about it, one of the locals was telling me about the city's concern about falling airport revs since the fuel flowage fee has dried up due to reduced activity and consumption. The airport is a huge cash cow for the city, so they are probably looking for something else to tax. If so, one more hangar will soon be available.

What economic downturn Wayne? Don't need to worry 'bout no doggone economy: just raise taxes. Those airplane owners sure can afford it--geesh.

Best,

Dave

What economic downturn Wayne? Don't need to worry 'bout no doggone economy: just raise taxes. Those airplane owners sure can afford it--geesh.

Best,

Dave

If you're looking for a case study in municipal arrogance, you need look no farther.

What are you missing, Ken?

It's all right there in white and white!

Maybe he thought better of it.

dave maybe you need to quit wandering around the runways drunk in the middle of the night :) lol

dave maybe you need to quit wandering around the runways drunk in the middle of the night :) lol

Give him a break, he had a date with Patty Wagstaff! :D

Back