Prop strike after going off runway on landing - does it count as "substantial damage"?

All the old timers that I used to fly with down in San Antonio, where I learned to fly tailwheel seemed to think that all of the stuff included that definition is essentially what happens in a ground loop and that the FAA was aware of how many ground loops generally took place.

[citation needed]

“Ground damage, as the term is used today, may not include damage caused by normal forces applied to the aircraft either during flight or while under its own power during taxi. Flat tires, tire damage occurring during taxi, damage caused by inclement weather, or damage caused by wildlife, whether during flight or stationary”

I would say no, it would be considered “flight damage,” but NTSB 830 doesn’t use that term.

Maybe “ground damage” is improper use of an angle grinder when filing nicks from the prop.
“Doesn’t use the term” to differentiate flight from ground operations says volumes. So far, anyway, I have come across nothing in any case or guidance document modifying the phrase “ground damage” so that it only applies the way a number of people are suggesting limiting it.

Yeah but it’s about whether the NTSB cares, isn’t it?
depends how you look at it. I don’t enforce for the ntsb nor do I have any stake in the aircraft in question. It doesn’t affect me one bit whether they report it or not.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into the way the OP asked the question, but it seems to me like he is not happy with the incident not being reported as an accident.

Perhaps I’m reading too much into the way the OP asked the question, but it seems to me like he is not happy with the incident not being reported as an accident.
Not "not happy", but curious about the interpretation of the rule.
While I can see how a bent cowling or landing gear damage wouldn't be reportable, a prop strike during landing (which in my book is still part of the flight) would require a prop replacement and engine teardown, thus meeting the requirements of this paragraph: "which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component".

Not "not happy", but curious about the interpretation of the rule.
While I can see how a bent cowling or landing gear damage wouldn't be reportable, a prop strike during landing (which in my book is still part of the flight) would require a prop replacement and engine teardown, thus meeting the requirements of this paragraph: "which would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component".
Did you see the links for two different AOPA panel lawyers saying this isn't reportable?

There is structural damage to that aircraft. Those photos are not of the prop.

If the aircraft looks like this, then ya, report it.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 12.34.19 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-07-02 at 12.37.42 PM.png

But the AOPA opinion is that such an accident is not reportable.

From the first linked article: "Let’s say you inadvertently land gear-up at an airport without an operating control tower and the damage is limited to a prop strike and skin damage. What’s next? Do you need to call the FAA or the NTSB? The answers are "no" and "probably not.""

Prop is also a bit artistic:
1719938362639.png

From the first linked article: "Let’s say you inadvertently land gear-up at an airport without an operating control tower and the damage is limited to a prop strike and skin damage. What’s next? Do you need to call the FAA or the NTSB? The answers are "no" and "probably not.""

View attachment 130881
I disagree. There were injuries which makes it reportable. There was structural damage, which makes it reportable. That is not just skins and prop damage.

Last edited:
Figures lie, and liars figure…

Is there something useful (genuinely useful) to be learned? I kinda use that as a tie breaker.

The regs make it pretty clear we really have learned all we’re gonna about gear up landings.

While it can be argued there is ALWAYS something to be learned, in the real world that just ain’t so.

View attachment 130881
It's clear that you really want some excuse to rat this guy out. So just do it. Why do you need POA's validation?

Back