Private checkride went horribly wrong!

Controller: I know but this guy has no flying experience at all. He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too.

Sometimes the law is wrong. I would challenge this one. Tell me how I go from being PIC to not being a PIC if the DPE departs the plane during the checkride. How does the "law" handle that.

**** the law anyway. The government is bankrupt.

Dude, you'll be solo, you've been PIC on every solo flight you've been on, how can you not know that, and how can you call the law "wrong"? The law is what it is, it is black and white.

By the way, off topic, but who is Lady Malibu? Firstly I'm offended to be confused for a woman (WTF!) But secondly, who is that? Is there a FAQ anywhere with all the back history?

Good, because Lady Malibu wasn't a woman.

Okay, good point, but still wrong because my checkride could be in conditions that are outside my solo endorsement conditions. How is that case handled then?

But very good point, I need to make sure my CFI adds some endorsement to my solo that puts me outside the envelope during my checkride.

What solo endorsement conditions do you have? If the DPE is asking you to do stuff outside your solo conditions, or outside of the PTS, then you as the PIC have the responsibility to tell him no. There is nothing wring with telling the DPE no, under the right circumstances. He could be testing you. In my checkride, I had to prepare a flight plan to an airport north of Chicago. The day of the checkride, there was a TFR covering the airport. I know the DPE was testing me to see if I knew that. No doubt in my mind if we took off and went flying to it that he would have failed me.

Okay, good point, but still wrong because my checkride could be in conditions that are outside my solo endorsement conditions. How is that case handled then?

But very good point, I need to make sure my CFI adds some endorsement to my solo that puts me outside the envelope during my checkride.

What endorsements would you suggest they give? All the endorsements available are listed in the FARs, please list them by reference title and number. (This is good practice for your oral)

Both Ron and Bruce have been rather quiet on this thread. I brought it up before, but I keep wondering if we're getting spoofed from an insider...

An overhead break was mentioned -- so my money's on Honeck! :lol:

"Solo endorsement conditions" --- Are you talking about what distance and airports you can fly too? What wind conditions (such as crosswind) you are permitted to fly within?

If this is what you meant, no added endorsement for the purpose of your check ride is necessary. More than likely your check ride will occur well within these parameters. You will likely stay within 15-20 miles of the originating airport, and weather will be within your current limitations.

If the weather is not or marginal, then it's your call on if you wish to do the practical portion. In my case, the weather got worse during my oral exam such that the wind speed, direction, and gusts were at my endorsed limit and slightly outside my comfort envelope... especially for being examined for my flying skills. So we discontinued, scheduled for a few days later after the weather passed, and had a great flight.

And as much as you've knocked DPE #1, Pete, they a really are good people who want you to do well. During and after the flight, mine kept saying, "Now, I'm not your instructor and I'm not here to teach you. But let me share some old grey hair pilot wisdom with you..." This gems of wisdom were what I needed to hear and learn from at that moment, and have served me well even now.

That is just so rude, I am speechless.

The way I see it, if it is not detected it did not happen. So for example, if I have a bloodtest and have 0 alcohol in my blood, it is irrelevant if I drank six hours earlier by myself. Nobody knows and it can never be proved. So if someone has a little help, for example cold medication, and nothing happens then it is totally acceptable.

Get off your high horse (or unicorn in your case).

That's a great idea. I've challenged a couple of grey areas in aviation, but NEVER alcohol. Never never never. If you're involved in an accident or incident they WILL ask your friends/family if you'd been drinking at one time. If you kill enough people they'll find out where you were and what time you stopped drinking. IDIOT.

That is just so rude, I am speechless.

The way I see it, if it is not detected it did not happen. So for example, if I have a bloodtest and have 0 alcohol in my blood, it is irrelevant if I drank six hours earlier by myself. Nobody knows and it can never be proved. So if someone has a little help, for example cold medication, and nothing happens then it is totally acceptable.

Get off your high horse (or unicorn in your case).

If, on the other hand, you F up because you're impaired during your checkride, it will likely be detected. Or you'll just be failed.

It doesn't take much cold medication to make you seriously impaired.

You are a REALLY BAD JUDGE of your limits if you think you can just get away with that. If it's enough to "calm you down," it's enough to impair you. Those are related.

Rude or not, this is even more stupid than saying getting failed was the result of a vendetta. No, you're incompetent. Really, there are very few people I'd ever tell shouldn't fly. You are very definitely in that highly rarified state.

Last edited:
What endorsements would you suggest they give? All the endorsements available are listed in the FARs, please list them by reference title and number. (This is good practice for your oral)

OP don't need no stinkin practice. He passed the written, didn't he? Duh.

He doesn't need practice for his oral. He already knows it all...I mean, people have mentioned that the regs make him PIC for the checkride, and he knows that it's just not true.

Rumack: Elaine, you're a member of this crew. Can you face some unpleasant facts?

Elaine Dickinson: No.

While I still think the OP is a bit of a tool, and has some serious issues, from what he keeps posting it sounds like he had some serious deficiencies in his instruction. If this hasn't been suggested before, I think he should find another CFI/school to give him a mock checkride before he goes any further, and keep an open mind and closed mouth when doing it.

He said he'd fly circles around
Had wisdom to completely astound
When I fly through the sky, so happy and high
I wave to him down on the ground.

I nominate you for the position of POA Poet Laureate!

What solo endorsement conditions do you have? If the DPE is asking you to do stuff outside your solo conditions, or outside of the PTS, then you as the PIC have the responsibility to tell him no. There is nothing wring with telling the DPE no, under the right circumstances. He could be testing you. In my checkride, I had to prepare a flight plan to an airport north of Chicago. The day of the checkride, there was a TFR covering the airport. I know the DPE was testing me to see if I knew that. No doubt in my mind if we took off and went flying to it that he would have failed me.

AFaIK, a DPE can certainly ask you to do something that's not in the PTS, he just can't fail you for not doing it to his "standards". Of course if he asks you to do something you feel is unsafe your best option is to say that (he could be testing your ADM). But the applicant's "solo conditions" are completely irrelevant. The CFI has signed the candidate off for a checkride and that means the CFI believes the candidate is ready to become a licensed pilot with no "solo conditions".

AFaIK, a DPE can certainly ask you to do something that's not in the PTS, he just can't fail you for not doing it to his "standards". Of course if he asks you to do something you feel is unsafe your best option is to say that (he could be testing your ADM). But the applicant's "solo conditions" are completely irrelevant. The CFI has signed the candidate off for a checkride and that means the CFI believes the candidate is ready to become a licensed pilot with no "solo conditions".

Good point.

While I still think the OP is a bit of a tool, and has some serious issues, from what he keeps posting it sounds like he had some serious deficiencies in his instruction. If this hasn't been suggested before, I think he should find another CFI/school to give him a mock checkride before he goes any further, and keep an open mind and closed mouth when doing it.

Personally I think Rich is on to something, this may be Jay...:lol: seriously, no one can be this deficient without it being for fun.

This thread continues to make me :rofl:

A little cold medicine to steady the nerves and a new DPE. What could possibly go wrong?

We could do Haiku too

The checkride pete failed.
Biased and really unfair.
Take Drugs. Try again.

But it is not REALLY PIC, is it? I know they say that but if you were to analyze the situation legally, how is it possible for the student to be legally PIC without a certificate.

You really need to review Part 61...

I'll even give you a hint...61.47 might be relevant to this.

And just because you're so open to information, I'll post the relevant part:
§ 61.47 Status of an examiner who is authorized by the Administrator to conduct practical tests.
(b) The examiner is not the pilot in command of the aircraft during the practical test
(c) Notwithstanding the type of aircraft used during the practical test, the applicant and the examiner (and any other occupants authorized to be on board by the examiner) are not subject to the requirements or limitations for the carriage of passengers that are specified in this chapter.

If nothing else, this thread can serve to student pilots as a lesson in how not to act on a checkride. :rofl:

I was never good at iambic pentameter...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Pete failed his checkride,
He'll fail again, too.

"Pete" should make sure he has plenty of these available for his retest.
butthurt.jpg

When 'Pete' takes his ride again, how much you want to bet that the FSDO is going to send an inspector to 'inspect' the DPE <cough><cough>

This is starting to sound alot like Bruce or Ron playing fun. . . .

I bet the aircraft logs get a much closer look at the next checkride, too.

But, but...he's going to a different DPE...DPEs don't know or talk to each other, do they?

Pilots (and DPEs are pilots) for some reason tend to share stories like "You should have seen this idiot..."

You know there is probably a Trolling forum somewhere where they post their masterpieces and this is going to make the list

You know the admins are watching closely and will hit the "Lock" button the moment 999 is posted, or maybe 998 with a "Thread Locked" as 999

Back