PPL checkride requirements question:

No, it isn't. 61.31(l)

That’s the quick short-cut to the end of the conversation, but I was curious what the thought process/justification was around commercial vs. private pilot levels of certification. (No difference with regards to this matter of course)

Yes, but as pointed out when I talked about 61.31(d), there’s 61.31(l).

I’m wondering whether there are DPEs who insist on a one-time only solo endorsement for the multi. And if there aren’t, why for the private single?

Well guys, I don't really know any more. I do know he made me give a 61.31d endorsement and since I was there I just wrote one real quick. And perhaps I (and he?) didn't read down the list far enough, I don't know. So I started endorsing everybody for 61.31d, even for different DPEs. As I never heard anything back (of course, you wouldn't necessarily hear about an over-endorsement), I just kept doing it because it "must" be the right thing.

The solo endorsement for Private likely doesn't come up very often, because most checkrides likely take place within 90 days of the last solo endorsement, so whether or not it's needed, it's already there.

Well guys, I don't really know any more. I do know he made me give a 61.31d endorsement and since I was there I just wrote one real quick. And perhaps I (and he?) didn't read down the list far enough, I don't know. So I started endorsing everybody for 61.31d, even for different DPEs. As I never heard anything back (of course, you wouldn't necessarily hear about an over-endorsement), I just kept doing it because it "must" be the right thing.

The solo endorsement for Private likely doesn't come up very often, because most checkrides likely take place within 90 days of the last solo endorsement, so whether or not it's needed, it's already there.

I’ve had some “over-endorsed” applicants and didn’t send any feedback to the instructor, primarily because they weren’t there to receive the feedback. ;)

No harm done, Russ. Some wasted ink, nothing more. I’ve been doing this for over five years now, and still learn new details on procedural matters regularly.

You're joking, right?

I finished my flight requirements 6 weeks ago. It took until today to get my "mock checkride" scheduled and completed. Now I'm #9 on the list for scheduling a DPE ride. It's a minimum of 2 weeks before the school will call for DPE dates (they only do this twice a month). I was told to expect weeks or months before I can get a DPE ride.

Yeah, I still have a few weeks left on my initial 90 day solo endorsement. I may be on my 3rd before I can get a DPE ride, however.

Last edited:
I fully agree - that's why I posed the question. Those slides seem poorly developed at best....yet they are posted on the official FAA website.

You're joking, right?

I finished my flight requirements 6 weeks ago. It took until today to get my "mock checkride" scheduled and completed. Now I'm #9 on the list for scheduling a DPE ride. It's a minimum of 2 weeks before the school will call for DPE dates (they only do this twice a month). I was told to expect weeks or months before I can get a DPE ride.

Yeah, I still have a few weeks left on my initial 90 day solo endorsement. I may be on my 3rd before I can get a DPE ride, however.
Your school does things very strangely. Are you not allowed/supposed to schedule the DPE yourself? When I was getting close-ish, we checked availability and then I scheduled for three to four weeks out. Then my CFI and I worked through everything left. I ended up taking my checkride six months later than my initial checkride schedule due to weather and backed-up schedule due to other weather cancellations and some other issues in the DPE's life and schedule, but if it hadn't snowed for practically two weeks straight leading up to and including my first scheduled date, there would have been little to no time between completing requirements and doing the checkride. It seems weird that you aren't allowed to schedule your own checkride, but maybe I'm just not familar with how schools work.

You're joking, right?

Did you get a new solo endorsement on your mock ride?
If not, it sounds like you will have plenty of time to get one.

Back