Oil - who is using what

What do you use?

• Total voters
I would've expected a more even split between Shell and Phillips.
Look at the price tags for each, think about your (stereo)typical pilot, and see if you maintain that same expectation. :D

Why do they call it "80 Proof" when it is only 40% alcohol.
"The term proof dates back to 16th century England, when spirits were taxed at different rates depending on their alcohol content. Similar terminology and methodology spread to other nations as spirit distillation, and taxation, became common. In England, spirits were originally tested with a basic "burn-or-no-burn" test, in which an alcohol-containing liquid that would ignite was said to be "above proof", and one which would not was said to be "under proof".[1] A liquid just alcoholic enough to maintain combustion was defined as 100 proof and was the basis for taxation. "

I think frequency of flying is the most important thing.

These slow turning, high clearance engines could probably survive on anything that's sufficiently thick to maintain oil pressure if they're flown regularly.

I exclusively use coconut oil for my popcorn.
I agree Jim ...

Changing the oil is not going to save your engine. Only going to hurt your wallet if you do it early because you don't fly the plane enough.
Daily flying keeps it healthy and like said it would run on almost any kind of oil for a long time.

Back