Need part number for Piper Arrow PA28R landing gear motor

mandm

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
IMG_3363.jpeg

Please let me know if you know the part number, mechanic is at the hangar asking me to order one. Thanks!

Your mechanic should have the parts catalog. It's on page 3H12 (drawing) and 3H13 (details).

Pump Assembly is 96671-02. It's made by Prestolite (their part number HCY5005).

Thank you both. Yes my mechanic is the type to put in a new part, that’s who I have right now to sign off on my annual. My landing gear goes up and down no problem so not sure why he’s asking about it. He said it’s slow to come up.

Thank you both. Yes my mechanic is the type to put in a new part, that’s who I have right now to sign off on my annual. My landing gear goes up and down no problem so not sure why he’s asking about it. He said it’s slow to come up.
Good grief.

HYC50xx series procurement in 2024? lol get ready to grab your ankles. Ah the joys of captive audience, don't miss that ish one bit.

It's a merc marine trim pump. It's highway robbery in the bUh aViAtIOn application.
Rumored to be a Ford heater fan motor

Please let me know if you know the part number,
Don't have access to an IPC at the moment to verify the above P/N, however I think HCY5005 is correct. Another option is to have that one OH'd if that in fact is the problem. Could also be one of several other items to include worn brushes which have a recommended 500hr inspection cycle.

I believe @Rob58 and his shop overhaul them. Regardless they aren't cheap and usually require a viable core when you exchange one as the main reason for their high cost is lack of repairable cores in the system.
Yes my mechanic is the type to put in a new part,
Unfortunately, this is becoming more the norm: parts cannon vs troubleshoot. But I would at find out why he thinks it is the motor assembly. Half the reason mechanics are simply replacing parts is the owners allow them to or in some cases want them to. However there is another option as shown below but it is a major alteration and will require more work for your mechanic. I also think there have been a couple other PoA threads on this specific topic which may have more info?
A job for a hangar elf or AC23-27 and perhaps even 14 CFR 21.9
Or simply use this setup and install it legal as an alteration?
https://www.selectfirellc.com/Piper-Gear-Powerpack_p_177.html

Last edited:
Is it quieter than the original? Seeing its sold at a suppressor shop.

Now my mechanic is talking about cleaning it or something let’s see

@mandm
The issue Bell206 highlights was my issue from a couple years ago. Worn brushes. Got the motor removed, sent out for repair at a local shop and replaced. Has worked great ever since.

But the work was not cheap as a heads up.

Screenshot_20240822-170103.png

@mandm
The issue Bell206 highlights was my issue from a couple years ago. Worn brushes. Got the motor removed, sent out for repair at a local shop and replaced. Has worked great ever since.

But the work was not cheap as a heads up.

View attachment 132687
The thing is I know the motor is working, I have no issues with it. Only issue was a up/down switch which I ordered a replacement. My mechanic is saying the gear is slow to retract. But he took the motor out hopefully he can do something so I’m not buying a new one for $3700.

IMG_3423.jpeg

Repaired with new brushes, have a printed photo at the hangar, cost me $910. Airplane is working pretty good now.

Back